Hilton floor is for sale

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Hate to say it but the Howks manage to run a surplus store with all things Howk. Helmets, shoes, clothes, bags, backpacks, knee pads, football gloves, jerseys, track suits etc. I have gotten some great deals there on shoes and non Howk Nike running combat gear. Got 35 used compression gear shirts XL short, long sleave, 2 base layer pants for 50$ a month ago. Instead having to go stand in line on a Saturday at 4:00am when all the good stuff is gone to the donors or the students on Thursday and Friday.
So... If I am understanding this correctly.... you are going to the University of Iowa and buying their used gear (thus supporting them)? Was your intent to have your money go to keeping Barta on the payroll?

Reactions: cy4state

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
So... If I am understanding this correctly.... you are going to the University of Iowa and buying their used gear (thus supporting them)? Was your intent to have your money go to keeping Barta on the payroll?
Lifetime Barta contract is the goal.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The charge has posted to my CC, but I never got a shipping notification. Anyone else in this scenario?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
A couple things of note for people. The piece comes mounted on plywood so it's a good 2.5 to 3" thick, and pretty heavy (for hanging on a wall). Good news is it's thick enough you have a ton of options on making 1 or 2 mounting holes in the back.

It comes with a Certificate of Authenticity and both that and the piece say where it's located on the map (i.e. BB8). On the back of the piece is a map of the floor with all of the location symbols so you can see exactly where your piece came from. Kind of fun finding the location and seeing how the front make a giant puzzle.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
As I recall, the opening bid was something like $25k. I contemplated buying it and running my own sale, but got discouraged by the folks who did it the last time. In retrospect, I think I could have pulled it off by renting some vacant storage space and hiring a few guys on the side to cut and move the pieces. Seems like it would have been a fun and profitable venture.

Surprised that there was no public offering of the full logo sections. Only the Pioneer logo is "sold out" which suggests that they made a special deal.

And they should have offered some larger plain sections for people who wanted to use it as a bar or mancave floor.
I went one step further and inquired on how much space it would take, then did the mental gymnastics of time/effort/resources to piece it out.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I went one step further and inquired on how much space it would take, then did the mental gymnastics of time/effort/resources to piece it out.

So, why didn't you go for it? I just knew that it was going to be a bigger job than I was estimating. But I still wonder if I could have cleared some good money with a project like this.

Reactions: cstrunk

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I just got an email from ISU Surplus about the floor sale. ISU is offering early access to the sale for people who previously tried to buy sections of the floor during the initial sale attempt. It is special invite only (they must have a log of the email addresses of those who attempted to buy earlier). It opened today at 2. I just got in and scored a couple of sections, so it seems to be working...

If you tried to get sections before, check your email of the address you gave them.

Copy of my email:
---------------------------------------------
1700252747788.png

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I just got an email from ISU Surplus about the floor sale. ISU is offering early access to the sale for people who previously tried to buy sections of the floor during the initial sale attempt. It is special invite only (they must have a log of the email addresses of those who attempted to buy earlier). It opened today at 2. I just got in and scored a couple of sections, so it seems to be working...

If you tried to get sections before, check your email of the address you gave them.

Copy of my email:
---------------------------------------------
View attachment 119441
Where the hell is my email??

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Got the email and got mine ordered. I was worried Monday was going to be 2.0

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Got the email and got mine ordered. I was worried Monday was going to be 2.0
Same here. I'm so glad they kept track of those of us that tried (and maybe submitted our cards) and then didn't get them and got this opportunity.
Bummed center court was sold out, but oh well!

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Same here. I'm so glad they kept track of those of us that tried (and maybe submitted our cards) and then didn't get them and got this opportunity.
Bummed center court was sold out, but oh well!
Yup I had a center court in my cart the first time. Settled for the big 12 logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapnCy