Home and Home with an SEC Football team...Would it be worth it?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
If an SEC football program called up and offered Iowa State a home and home, do you think it would be worth it? Would you like to see ISU say yes to any and all or just some particular schools? Would you enjoy seeing Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, etc. at Jack Trice Stadium or would you just rather not have to deal with a game like that on top of the Big Xii + Iowa schedule?

Personally, I'd love it, because I think worrying about being a 6-6 Bowl eligible team is a terrible mindset. However, I am curious as to what other Cyclones fans would say to a home and home with an SEC Power (Alabama or Auburn), middle of the road team (Arkansas or Ole Miss) or bottom feeder (Kentucky or Miss. State)?

Thoughts?

:)

alacYCLONE

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
BB sure. FB no thanks.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
ISU already plays 10 high level BCS schools each season and constantly is way up the scale as far as SOS goes. They dont need to play any more BCS schools, PERIOD.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I just want to be entertained so sure. But Alabama against a team like ours last year wouldn't be a game. Wouldn't mind playing UK, AK, Tenn, A&M Florida, or Georgia. Would want no part of Auburn, LSU or Alabama though.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Hate it. It provides us nothing to help our program. We already play a Top 10 schedule almost every year so we don't need to beef up our schedule or make it more legit. Even playing a "bottom feeder" gains us nothing if we win and only hurts us if we lose.

Why is this a good idea to anyone?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
As a fan I am happy to see home and home series with any high major in football. It's just a bigger draw. That said, I would like to see our football team in a bit better shape before going that route.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
If Bama or LSU calls, you say yes, no question. A bowl game at 6-6 is just a game. This would be a game. And a damn good one to see too.

I would much rather see bama at JTS than ISU vs Tulsa in the rain in Memphis.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If an SEC football program called up and offered Iowa State a home and home, do you think it would be worth it? Would you like to see ISU say yes to any and all or just some particular schools? Would you enjoy seeing Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, etc. at Jack Trice Stadium or would you just rather not have to deal with a game like that on top of the Big Xii + Iowa schedule?

Personally, I'd love it, because I think worrying about being a 6-6 Bowl eligible team is a terrible mindset. However, I am curious as to what other Cyclones fans would say to a home and home with an SEC Power (Alabama or Auburn), middle of the road team (Arkansas or Ole Miss) or bottom feeder (Kentucky or Miss. State)?

Thoughts?

alacYCLONE

alaCY,

Seriously, you would rather have a different mindset and 5 wins rather than a bowl game?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Until they start determining postseason eligibility based on SOS (and achievement vs that SOS) and not an arbitrary w-l record that tells you nothing about how good the teams actually are... no. Its why basketball can be so much more entertaining, there is actually a reward in playing a tough schedule, vs effectively a punishment.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
alaCY,

Seriously, you would rather have a different mindset and 5 wins rather than a bowl game?

Why cannot ISU have both? That being said, having a big SEC team like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. would be AWESOME and better than any Bowl Game ISU has ever played.

alaCYCLONE

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
If Bama or LSU calls, you say yes, no question. A bowl game at 6-6 is just a game. This would be a game. And a damn good one to see too.

I would much rather see bama at JTS than ISU vs Tulsa in the rain in Memphis.

Atta boy! I would much rather see Alabama or LSU play at JTS than go to the Liberty Bowl vs. Tulsa in the rain (I was there) again TOO! LOL. Win or Lose, can you imagine the newly expanded JTS welcoming a team like Alabama, LSU or Auburn? It would be a magical experience. Of course, Tennessee would be my choice, since ISU played @ Tennessee I 1982 without a return game. :)

alaCYCLONE