How do the Clones get better at Defense?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
:confused: I am at a loss at how the defense can get better. Not necessarly good, but at least good enough to give the offense a chance to win games.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think they need enough speed to play tighter on the receivers. Playing so far off, the receiver has the catch, has turned upfield, and gained a full head of steam by the time our guys enter the picture on the screen; i.e. we're not close to them.

It'll come up. Let's get it in there early. The DL doesn't get any pressure, so our secondary is exposed far too easily. They have to cover too long, especially for their ability.

The safeties have no idea where to be.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I believe it needs to start up front on the line, if we can't get pressure on the quarterback, it does not matter what kind of secondary we have.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I don't know that experience can be given, because they didn't improve from game 1 to game 12 from what I could tell. Same mistakes, bad reads, penalties, etc. Bigger, faster, stronger across the board is the only thing I think can help them. They also need a playmaker in the front 7. Even one person that requires a double team from the O-line would be a great help I think. The way it is now, the opposing offense doesn't have to take any one player into account on any play because we don't have that impact player.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Unlike last year, there was no improvement as the season went on. That was the most frustrating thing. We need to see some improvement next year, or there is going to be lots of grumbling.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I agree our tackling is very poor...and I wonder if most of our missed tackles are coming from our defense looking to "blow-up" the other guy with a big hit which results in missed tackles.

Obviously, some are just plain missed tackles, but I see a lot where they go for the big hit over the sure tackle and miss it.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Unlike last year, there was no improvement as the season went on. That was the most frustrating thing. We need to see some improvement next year, or there is going to be lots of grumbling.

Indeed. I heard more talk last off-season about the Colorado comeback than the Iowa win. There is no such victory, nor improvement, to talk about now.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
We need some big uglys on the Dline that get pissed off. Speed is also a big need. Seems like once the game starts our team plays with no emotion, except maybe LJ. If your high energy waiting to hit someone I don't know how you can play football with no emotion. Until they get the Defense figured out it makes no difference how many points we score or how many records Arnaud can put up. I would really love to hear some positivies from Chizik for this football team to get me through the winter. Even if he told us we are right where he thought we'd be after 2 years.:dull:

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
We need DBs that can out physical everyone's receivers. Also it be nice to have a safety that didn't let anyone get behind him.

SLCyclone

Apr 4, 2006
Safeties and DL were our weakness. Our linebackers were a step slow, but they were not our downfall.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
My opinion is we need ticked off big strong D-Lineman who can rush the passer. Especially if we keep with the Tampa 2 defense that is. We also need to be faster at the MLB position. The more the season went on, either sitting up in the stands during home games or on TV if it was on, whenever the MLB showed blitz and was right up on the line, the QB audibled and through it to a TE or WR over the middle for 10+ yards. Whether it was a blitz or faking, there is no way he can get back to cover the short pass routes, let alone the deep middle passes that would come since he is responsible for the deep pass over the middle in Tampa 2. If I, who spends no time studying game film, can see that during the game, how much does the opposing teams Defensive coaches figure out during their week of prep for ISU. Or safeties have taken a lot of crap all year for not covering receivers and to a point they are right. I think it is because of the shortfall of the D-line and MLB that causes them to have to cover the entire deep field instead of the outside deep ball like they should playing cover 2.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we get a respectable pass rush next year, I think we could have a pretty stiff defense. I hope we either get the personel we need or we adjust our defense to fit the players until we do get the guys to run it effectively.

Shinyhappyclone

Aug 25, 2007
iowa
Correction: we need big, strong dbacks, preferably over 6' tall, but we need to COACH THEM TO COVER. We could have Deion Sanders Clones at every position, and about the only difference we would have with our current scheme is we might tackle the reciever with a few less YAC's.
It is like coaching O-line men nuances....the DB's HAVE to knock recievers off their routes and muscle them as much as the referees will let them depending on the game and the particular referreeing crew. Smash them up under the chin at the line of scrimmage....its football, not volleyball. I get so sick of watching other teams like OU and NU do this to us year after year.....of course, they get the advantage of subliminal referee bias's.

Nate at Noseguard gave an admirable effort, but I watched him at the end of too many games not even be able to raise his arms up. He could have won the Colorado game with just an ounce more juice and energy...he was in position to make sacks and plays, just couldn't.
I refuse to believe it is all talent though....yes maybe against Mizzou(presently) and Okie state, but all those other teams could have been certainly played more solidly against by our men. We all know that.
After one year as head coach, you knew what Stoops was. I can't remember Ferentz's second year, but you knew things were changing. Lord, I think I have typed this exact same bulletin board message about 4 times during MacCarney's tenure.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I'm glad this season is over but I dont see next years D players/coaching being any better. We better have a no fail offense b/c I dont see this d changing much.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sieves R Us. I think the play in the red zone by the defense was normally pretty pathetic. They always scored touchdowns.

Last edited: