How do you financially support to ISU athletics?

How do you financially support ISU athletics?

• I do not financially support ISU athletics

• Cyclone Club only

• Grid Iron Club only

• Cyclone Club + Grid Iron Club

• CC + GIC + FB Season Tickets

• CC + GIC + FB STs + MBB STs

• CC+ GIC + MBB Season Tickets

• CC + FB STs

• CC + MBB STs

• Non-donor FB, MBB, WBB season tickets, etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
How do you financially support ISU athletics? The sample size from CF members, may provide some insights into the broader base.

CY88

Jan 3, 2013
Cyclone Club
Football Tickets
Cyclone Regional Training Center
Wrestling Tickets

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Cyclone Club & wrestling season tickets. Also give to Cyclone Regional Training Center for wrestling

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
16/49 are non-donors. This is what needs to change the most moving forward. If we can reduce this figure from 1/3 to 1/5 it will have a significant effect on revenue in the long run.

Apparently no one on here has graduated recently. I got hounded for donations less than one month after graduation for the alumni association, and whatever else. I think chilling for a year on those would bring in more donations because we're likely to be working at that point. It turned me off a lot on donating personally.

Plus they don't follow instructions at all. I tell them to call me in September because that's when my bonus is paid (literally how I describe it to them) and I'm likely in a better mood. Haven't called me once in that month.

I've been considering donating some but when I'm so far away from Iowa it's hard to see real value beyond pride for my school. I'm never gonna live close enough for season tickets so what's the point of priority points

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Apparently no one on here has graduated recently. I got hounded for donations less than one month after graduation for athletics, alumni association, and whatever the third one is. I think chilling for a year on those would bring in more donations because we're likely to be working at that point. It turned me off a lot on donating personally.

Plus they don't follow instructions at all. I tell them to call me in September because that's when my bonus is paid (literally how I describe it to them) and I'm likely in a better mood. Haven't called me once in that month.

I've been considering donating some but when I'm so far away from Iowa it's hard to see real value beyond pride for my school. I'm never gonna live close enough for season tickets so what's the point of priority points

I don't buy season tickets and live out of state so am sort of a non-entity to the athletics department. Rarely hear from them even though I've donated to them annually for decades. I hear all of the time from the University of Minnesota and never donated a dime, just bought single game tickets here and there. I think our marketing is pretty bad as far as the athletic department is concerned. I hear more from ISU Museums and haven't sent them anything in years (donated to the sculpture restorations on campus a long time ago).

That the state of Iowa elected officials don't support the state universities like they did when I was in school, along with me having Iowa 40 years plus in my rearview mirror, is having me rethink my current pledges and bequeath to ISU. If the current residents of Iowa collectively don't give a **** about their state universities, other than Hawkeye sports, why the **** should a Minnesotan care? Totally damn serious.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Apparently no one on here has graduated recently. I got hounded for donations less than one month after graduation for athletics, alumni association, and whatever the third one is. I think chilling for a year on those would bring in more donations because we're likely to be working at that point. It turned me off a lot on donating personally.

Their approach to recent grads is horrific. Quick to ask for money, slow to ask if they need career placement assistance. My one son who attended another school is only one who donates but they went with reduced plans for young alums and have frequently contacted him to see if he had any Covid related job loss or furloughs and needed any assistance

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't buy season tickets and live out of state so am sort of an non-entity to the athletics department. Rarely hear from them even though I've donated to them annually for decades. I hear all of the time from the University of Minnesota and never donated a dime, just bought single game tickets here and there. I think our marketing is pretty bad as far as the athletic department is concerned. I hear more from ISU Museums and haven't sent them anything in years (donated to the sculpture restorations on campus a long time ago).

That the state of Iowa elected officials don't support the state universities like they did when I was in school, along with me having Iowa 40 years plus in my rearview mirror, is having me rethink my current pledges and bequeath to ISU. If the current residents of Iowa collectively don't give a **** about their state universities, other than Hawkeye sports, why the **** should a Minnesotan care? Totally damn serious.

This current resident has no say on what the state legislature decides to do.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
We donate to Cyclone Club, Gridiron Club and buy season football tickets. (Yes, I selected above in the poll)

We get letters 2-4 times a year from the Iowa State Foundation asking for a donation.

Gridiron Club. A few years ago we joined thinking it would be a neat way to directly support the football team, get involved with fundraising with various fun events, it would be different than Cyclone Club, our donation would be 100% tax deductible and we get extra Cyclone Club points. We receive periodic emails about the few events they hold. In 2020 (before Covid hit) we attended the members only event with the football staff - which we really enjoyed. However, we're not golfers and (thanks to Covid) the rest of the events are TBD. There's a lot of potential for the club that - IMO - they're missing out on. We don't feel like a part of the club, but we also resolved that we'll continue donating since it goes directly to the FB team and we like the tax deduction/extra Cyclone Club point perks. From my understanding, though, it's a volunteer organization. I've been a part of volunteer organizations for many years in the past and still have burnout, so I get it.

Other ideas not listed above:

If you have an Amazon account, switch to Amazon Smile and select Cyclone Gridiron Club as your donation. A percentage of all purchases you make using Amazon Smile will then be donated to the Gridiron Club. The trick is you have to make sure you're using Amazon Smile when you make the purchase and not the regular Amazon. It may not be a huge donation, but every little bit counts.

Company match is another way to increase donations. Some companies will match your donation, especially if it's a 501c3 - which Gridiron Club is.

CycloneAlley

Apr 11, 2006
Maloy, USA
Looking at the USA Today college finances rankings, Iowa makes about $30,000,000 a year more than Iowa State on Ticket Sales and Contributions in 2019. I guess I am surprised that there is this big of a difference. How does Iowa State close this gap to help stay competitive?