How To Add A Star

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
I see that Boffeli went from a 2 Star (5.4) to a 3 Star (5.5) during his winter conditioning progarm simpliy by signing his name on a different piece of paper. Maybe I am wrong, but I can see why people put so much faith in the ranking system.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
...ugh here we go again. boffeli was still commited to us when he went to 3 stars. same with beshears.

enough with the conspiracy theories

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I see that Boffeli went from a 2 Star (5.4) to a 3 Star (5.5) during his winter conditioning progarm simpliy by signing his name on a different piece of paper. Maybe I am wrong, but I can see why people put so much faith in the ranking system.
WHere did he sign his name differently?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

The senior season tapes, stats, and testing is circulating through the scouting sites, thats why you will see some people's ratings move...

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
How many times are we going to rehash the fact that Bofelli changed rank before he switched to Iowa.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It is true that the star was added while he was still committed to ISU, but it was also added after he "re-opened" his recruiting and Iowa started showing more interest in him. I think the recruiting sites put too much weight on the number and caliber of schools recruiting a kid.
Consider this scenario. There are two kids with the exact same measurables. Same height, weight, speed, and strength. One has offers from Texas and Oklahoma, and the other kid only has offers from Iowa and ISU (because he's from small town Iowa). The UT and OU kid gets 5 stars and the ISU/Iowa kid maxes out at 3 or 4. Recruiting has a lot to do with who you know and how much exposure you get. Once Boffeli reopened his recruiting and got some more attention from Iowa, the rating went up. If he had stayed a solid commit to ISU, few would have looked at him again to reassess his skills.
I don't think signing with Iowa, or being recruited by Iowa, was the only reason his rating went up, but I think it had something to do with the increased attention and exposure he recieved.

Last edited:

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Who assigns the stars for these services, anyway?? Is it done by committee or is there one guy at each of the sites (rivals and scout) that make a decision on how many stars are given to a player?

I don't pretend to be an expert on recruiting but I do enjoy reading about it and seeing who our prospects are.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
It is true that the star was added while he was still committed to ISU, but it was also added after he "re-opened" his recruiting and Iowa started showing more interest in him...

Iowa offered him long before he got his third star.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It is true that the star was added while he was still committed to ISU, but it was also added after he "re-opened" his recruiting and Iowa started showing more interest in him. I think the recruiting sites put too much weight on the number and caliber of schools recruiting a kid.
Consider this scenario. There are two kids with the exact same measurables. Same height, weight, speed, and strength. One has offers from Texas and Oklahoma, and the other kid only has offers from Iowa and ISU (because he's from small town Iowa). The UT and OU kid gets 5 stars and the ISU/Iowa kid maxes out at 3 or 4. Recruiting has a lot to do with who you know and how much exposure you get. Once Boffeli reopened his recruiting and got some more attention from Iowa, the rating went up. If he had stayed a solid commit to ISU, few would have looked at him again to reassess his skills.
I don't think signing with Iowa, or being recruited by Iowa, was the only reason his rating went up, but I think it had something to do with the increased attention and exposure he recieved.

Really good post here. Definitely deserves a 2nd look.

Just to add on to it, these recruiting websites are doing this for a paycheck, which means page views and such. They're going to re-evaluate more often for players whose recruiting is open, because those are the recruits that people are looking for information on. The already committed ones, or long-committed ones, are not going to be drawing a lot of interest from the general reader, so they don't need to use resources working on that.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
How many times are we going to rehash the fact that Bofelli changed rank before he switched to Iowa.

Now look...I love talking about conor barrfelli and his star rankings and his switch to Iowa...

How much $$ do you want to wager that if the shoe was on the other foot and good old barfly er barrfelli had transferred to ames from iowa city that his story WOULD NOT BE PAGE ONE ON THE LOCUST STREET LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Wagers Anyone????????????????

cyclones6785

Dec 16, 2007
Now look...I love talking about conor barrfelli and his star rankings and his switch to Iowa...

How much $$ do you want to wager that if the shoe was on the other foot and good old barfly er barrfelli had transferred to ames from iowa city that his story WOULD NOT BE PAGE ONE ON THE LOCUST STREET LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Wagers Anyone????????????????

Every time you post, you make less sense each time. I swear you haven't even graduated middle school yet.

kuhlman41

Dec 16, 2008
actually im not bitter at all! ISU got Aaron Moore yesterday. i will take him wayyyyy before boffeli, so we pretty much upgraded!

Yes, because you new so much about Aaron Moore before he committed. I would venture to guess that Boffeli will be the better lineman.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron