I don't understand how anyone has ever liked Tang

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
From what I could he see he wasn't all that animated.

I think we can all agree that he does it far, FAR less than Campbell. And I'm not trying to bag on Campbell, he's the best coach in ISU football history. However, at this point he's earned a reputation as a guy who freaks out at the refs on a regular basis. Much like his predecessor. Difference is Campbell wins a lot more games than that guy did.

Although I agree that Campbell gets more animated than TJ, I stop well short of any comparisons to Tang. Tang is CONSTANT in his whining, and comes across as inconsistent in how he coaches vs. who he wants to be in pressers, etc....I don't get that from Campbell.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't really like Tang, but I do think having a villain type of personality is good for the Big 12. Everyone loves a villain and he is trending that direction for sure. Just needs to win enough to maintain that or it will just be viewed as him acting a fool and people will just think it's funny, and then he'll get canned. Not all are cut out to be P6 coaches. Look what happened to Steve Prohm, not that Tang and Prohm are anything alike.

As an aside, did we interview Tang for the opening after Prohm? I know he was rumored as a candidate, not that Pollard truly was ever going to hire anyone but TJ that go-round.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
This was the Milan play right? The defender interfered with Milan’s footwork. Was a foul. Weak but was a foul
If by interfered you mean having two legs and Milan running into one of them then yes. I love Iowa state just as much as everyone else but it’s ok to say we got a favorable call and any coach or fan has the right to be upset. Next game we will have one go against us and we will all lose our minds about it.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Honestly I thought his post game interview was pretty tame. Much less bitter than Sampson after Houston's loss.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
My mom took this photo during the second half, saying this KSU Asst was watching our huddle during a timeout, taking notes on a whiteboard, and then went back to the KSU sideline. No clock or score to know exactly when it happened, but appears to be during some promotional fan shot thing. View attachment 122780

Each team usually has 1 or 2 managers that are looking to figure out which 5 are in the game, especially when guys check in as the game goes to break. That's all this guy is doing.

The game within the game last night was all of the ISU managers setting up a soccer-style blockade, while KSU had all of their subs blocking ISU's view of their lineup.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
On the pod CW said there was a point where KSU switched the way they were doing timeouts, they turned Tang around and closed up the huddle real tight. Presumably because they thought there were "spies" in the crowd.

That's some top tier paranoia if that's what he was freaking out about. No wonder he didn't want to talk about it after the game, he'd be a laughing stock this morning.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
On the pod CW said there was a point where KSU switched the way they were doing timeouts, they turned Tang around and closed up the huddle real tight. Presumably because they thought there were "spies" in the crowd.

That's some top tier paranoia if that's what he was freaking out about. No wonder he didn't want to talk about it after the game, he'd be a laughing stock this morning.
That would definitely align with reading Tang's lips in the handshake line. Unless you're in the huddle or right outside of it, I really don't see how you could spy on them or what the point would be.

I don't wear my hearing aids to events like this because it's too damn loud for me, so there's no way ISU is using some "listening device".

Lets say someone was using a cellphone or tablet or whatever to take pictures...ok but how are you transmitting that to the ISU huddle and fast enough for coaches to read, comprehend, make real time decisions?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

If that's true, he's not going to like Baylor's new arena where the stands are much more vertical. Also, it's not uncommon for a TV crew to jump into a team huddle and the production crew shows a small clip of what the coach was saying when they return from the media timeout. Very strange if true

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
Maybe we gave some other teams some ammunition for when they meet K-State: every timeout, everyone around the bench hold up their phone as if they are recording, then as soon as they break the huddle, yell "SEND!" I'm sure our fan contingent that heads down to Manhattan when we play them next could have some fun with that as well, getting into Tang's head.

• Funny
Reactions: MJ29 and rosshm16

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
A supposed ISU fan called in to Miller and Condon and said fans were throwing stuff at the KSU bench. I got the feeling he didn’t have any idea what he was talking about.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If that's true, he's not going to like Baylor's new arena where the stands are much more vertical. Also, it's not uncommon for a TV crew or a McCaffery to jump into a team huddle and the production crew shows a small clip of what the coach was saying when they return from the media timeout. Very strange if true

Reactions: Acylum

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Personally I’ve never had an issue with him. He is very passionate about his team and job. Emotional coaches tend to be loved by their fans and hated by their opponents. Honestly I hope he takes a different job soon. He seems capable of building teams that could be thorns in the side of Iowa state as long as he is there.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Personally I’ve never had an issue with him. He is very passionate about his team and job. Emotional coaches tend to be loved by their fans and hated by their opponents. Honestly I hope he takes a different job soon. He seems capable of building teams that could be thorns in the side of Iowa state as long as he is there.
Meh, we will reach February and his team will be nowhere close to the NCAA field. His soft team is gonna get spanked at Houston Saturday.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If by interfered you mean having two legs and Milan running into one of them then yes. I love Iowa state just as much as everyone else but it’s ok to say we got a favorable call and any coach or fan has the right to be upset. Next game we will have one go against us and we will all lose our minds about it.
It was a relatively weak call but by definition it was a foul. The officials were just all around inconsistent and awful both ways.