I Dream of Genie Wish List .............

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Let me first say, this was good idea for a thead. I have to say of the main 4 mentioned (Money, Carpenter, Marry, and Gaines) and we'll throw in Lechner, if I had to pick just two, one offense, one defense, it would be Marry and Carpenter. Those are the biggest areas we need, especially factoring in graduation at the LB spot. We need immediate help on the line. Playmakers are huge gets, but sometimes playmakers can't shine if you don't have the makings of a strong line to get the playmakers the ball.

Can I be greedy and ask for all 5?

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
ISU needs playmakers and I think Money will help us a lot on that issue. Spread the defense out and make them think about the deep threat. I hope he has great hands.

Our O-line will be solid next year. They need another year in the weight room. We need a lot of help on defense. Marry is a must.

What I want is guys who can make a play after the catch. Watching TT makes me so jealous because they have guys who can bust a play wide open after a 5 yard pass. I know a lot of that is the scheme, and I think some of our young guys will get there, but I really want more guys like this.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
For me IMHO.....

Offense: getting Bo Williams, Schwartz and Money along with Beshears will really elevate an already decent offense. I think there should be a move on offense - i think Hamilton should gain about 20 pounds of muscle and he would be a serious TE option. For whatever reason, he just has not seemed the player he was evolving into last year. Seems slower, and less motivated, maybe the competition at every position is not to his liking.

Defense:
LB in my opinion is not the most evident problem. Considering our incoming class of Moseby and Klein, and existing youth of Hamlin, Ferguson, Bell, Moser the LB position has players, not sure if Marry is that big of an upgrade. However, i've been preaching about our DL since last year. I still hate to think about losing DJ Marshall, that guy was the rush end we desperately need. We have Cleyon Laing, and Jake McDonough redshirting i think so that will help. But, we need production now. Hopefully Martin can come in and be an impact player right away. IMHO the one area on our defense that has been whipped all year is the DL. Hopefully, Maggitt can add about 25 pounds of muscle and be a force like Charles Haley did around the 245 pd mark. We need pressure on the QB, that changes everything about our defense. We currently have very little pressure, and against the Big 12, that means a lot of yards and touchdowns.

So for me, i'm going out on a limb and saying we have the guys that will get pressure from the edges as long as they don't have double teams. Only way to ensure the DE is iso'd is get a stud or two in the middle - our weakness this year and strength last year with Curvey. I'm going to throw out a couple of names nobodies ever heard of, but, i think for what were trying to do on defense, they will make the biggest immediate difference.

Charles Deas (Pearl River) DT 6'-5" 315 pounds, based on his writeups, it appears he was recruited and committed to Auburn, but didnt make the grades. Obviously, he's got talent.
Scout.com: Charles Deas Profile
Darius Scott (Dupage) 6'-5" 340 pds - another guy that had all the big boys after him until his grades didnt make it. Has the talent to play at this level and what a force inside.
http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=8&c=1&nid=3823331
Mike Johnson (Southwestern) 6'-1" 315 another big kid, but for me at this junction of the program - we need big interior guys.
Scout.com: Mike Johnson Profile

Give me two big space eaters that have grown men bodies, let Jerrod and Ruep, and McDonough and Laing grow into the role and that position will be a strength. You get that, and suddenly our LB's are not engaged when they're throwing themselves (out of position) at rb as they run through the hole. Our interior DL strength have been exposed and thats why our LB have been so ineffective at stopping the run and not getting the drops needed because they're having to commit to the run so early.

Right now our position of biggest need is the Interior DL. Right now our guys are not big enough to stand up to the double teams they face and were manhandled in the trenches, thus exposing the LB's and DB's.

Give me size, strength and attitude on the interior DL and this defense is immediately better.

Last edited:
Reactions: tejasclone

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
You guys are WAY smarter than I am when it comes to schemes and individual players. But my number one wish is still Money. He, with the maturity of all the offensive returners plus Bo, could translate to 3 - 7 more points per game.

If we can see enough improvement by the defense, however it is done, to get off the field even one more of three times (versus this year), that's a difference of another 7 points a game or so. Changing the scores by 6 - 14 points a game changes this team from 2 - 8 to bowl bound. We don't have to have 3 and outs by the d every possession, we just need to take the first step and get off the field more often and let the offense work.

UNLV, KU, maybe Iowa, and CU. 2 - 8 becomes 6 - 4. We're not that far away.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
We should take a page out of Iowa's book and recruit more tight ends. They usually have bodies that can gain weight to play d-line or o-line and are usually explosive.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
For me IMHO.....

Offense: getting Bo Williams, Schwartz and Money along with Beshears will really elevate an already decent offense. I think there should be a move on offense - i think Hamilton should gain about 20 pounds of muscle and he would be a serious TE option. For whatever reason, he just has not seemed the player he was evolving into last year. Seems slower, and less motivated, maybe the competition at every position is not to his liking.
Let's see, you say he's slowed down because he's put on some additional weight--and you want him to put on twenty more?!! I think tight end is fine next season, with Franklin and Catlett--and Marquis will be a senior.

I'd be more worried about the hole where Doug Dedrick is graduating--or maybe center, where Mike Knapp can't seem to stay healthy.
LB in my opinion is not the most evident problem. Considering our incoming class of Moseby and Klein, and existing youth of Hamlin, Ferguson, Bell, Moser the LB position has players, not sure if Marry is that big of an upgrade.

Marry would be an immense upgrade--in the middle. Klein is the only other real possibility--in which case Marry would contend with (or succeed) Cam Bell on the strongside. Most importantly, Smith, Schmidgall, Raven and Garrin all graduate next season.

However, i've been preaching about our DL since last year. I still hate to think about losing DJ Marshall, that guy was the rush end we desperately need. We have Cleyon Laing, and Jake McDonough redshirting i think so that will help.

McDonough is now a defensive tackle. Laing a stronside end. Maggit was a trade for Marshall--he got the scholly D.J. would have gotten.

IMHO the one area on our defense that has been whipped all year is the DL.
You missed the gaping holes the secondary has left?!!

Hopefully, Maggitt can add about 25 pounds of muscle and be a force like Charles Haley did around the 245 pd mark.

You do realize that Haley was 6-5, not 6-2. For Maggitt, I'd be more hoping for a Berryman--like performance (on the field), as Jason was listed as 6-2 210 as a freshman--and turned into a terror.

We need pressure on the QB, that changes everything about our defense. We currently have very little pressure, and against the Big 12, that means a lot of yards and touchdowns.

The "lack of pressure" hurts, but we aren't entirely without a pass rush. No, the blown coverages, and poor safety play have been a much, much bigger reason for all of the long passing plays. the pass rush means nothing when a guy is completely uncovered downfield.

So for me, i'm going out on a limb and saying we have the guys that will get pressure from the edges as long as they don't have double teams.

Right now I'm more worried about the gaping hole at strongside end, where not one, not two, but all three seniors in the three deep graduate.

Only way to ensure the DE is iso'd is get a stud or two in the middle - our weakness this year and strength last year with Curvey.

First off, Curvey graduated two years ago. Secondly, the rush defense is actually improved this season.

I'm going to throw out a couple of names nobodies ever heard of, but, i think for what were trying to do on defense, they will make the biggest immediate difference.
I think that perhaps you have some misapprehensions as to just what Gene Chizik is trying to do on defense. Indeed, you seem to be defining things the way you think they should work, not the way Chizik and Bolt are doing it.

Right now our position of biggest need is the Interior DL. Right now our guys are not big enough to stand up to the double teams they face and were manhandled in the trenches, thus exposing the LB's and DB's.
You're entirely mistaken here. Chizik's defense uses quick, penetrating tackles. Just the same as OU does--I believe that the name "Tommy Harris" should ring a few bells, and Gerald McCoy is no 300+ pounder, either.

That's entirely aside from the fact that Chizik himself has said that the problem with the rush defense is experience at the tackles--or lack thereof. Before this season, even the upperclassmen had played very little at all. And the younger players have been hurt. There's a reason he's said that he's only recruiting one defensive tackle, and all indications are that that won't be a juco. Let alone an immense one.

And Chizik is correct about experence (and health) being a factor, as we have seen Nate Frere really beginning to emerge the last couple of weeks.

Getting Johnson, Black and Alburtis entirely healthy will be important, but I think with those guys, Frere and Ruempolhamer, and the addition of McDonough and a signee, we have a very nice core of returning players at DT. Especialy for what Chizik is trying to do.

To me, right now, Marry, Carpenter and Money are the most critical recruits, with additional youngsters at defensive end a necessity, due to graduation the next couple of seasons. Well, youth across the board, of course.

Reactions: Balrog

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Let's see, you say he's slowed down because he's put on some additional weight--and you want him to put on twenty more?!! I think tight end is fine next season, with Franklin and Catlett--and Marquis will be a senior.

Please review what i said....i said he does not seem to be the same player - no mention of weight gain.

I'd be more worried about the hole where Doug Dedrick is graduating--or maybe center, where Mike Knapp can't seem to stay healthy.

Granted...

Marry would be an immense upgrade--in the middle. Klein is the only other real possibility--in which case Marry would contend with (or succeed) Cam Bell on the strongside. Most importantly, Smith, Schmidgall, Raven and Garrin all graduate next season.

How are you so sure that Marry would be an IMMENSE upgrade....a lot of players come out with 3* and stink it up - heck even 4* and 5* just as EIU....

McDonough is now a defensive tackle. Laing a stronside end. Maggit was a trade for Marshall--he got the scholly D.J. would have gotten.

I realize that Maggit got DJs schollie however, Maggit has to develop physically into the position where as DJ is much closer physically to stand up to Big 12 play - purely my opinion. DJ may turn out to be a bust and Maggit may be all big 12 (i hope so).

You missed the gaping holes the secondary has left?!!

Many of the holes in the secondary would be eliminated with a good pass rush!!!! Having 6-9 seconds to throw is too long.

You do realize that Haley was 6-5, not 6-2. For Maggitt, I'd be more hoping for a Berryman--like performance (on the field), as Jason was listed as 6-2 210 as a freshman--and turned into a terror.

So true, Haley was 6-5 but only 240, the comparison was about his speed off the edge and his ability to crush the pocket - our edge rush will be seriously lacking without Taylor. Common - read into it a bit instead of taking everything so literal.

The "lack of pressure" hurts, but we aren't entirely without a pass rush. No, the blown coverages, and poor safety play have been a much, much bigger reason for all of the long passing plays. the pass rush means nothing when a guy is completely uncovered downfield.

No disagreement here....i've posted many times about the coverage or lack thereof....why no press coverage with safety help over top - true form of the tampa 2......aggressive at the line and force the throws to hit small pockets...the pockets they currently have to hit are between the hashes!!!!

Right now I'm more worried about the gaping hole at strongside end, where not one, not two, but all three seniors in the three deep graduate.

This is a definite hole.....Losing all three - name one of our Young ends that can physically play a whole season at that position and make plays???

First off, Curvey graduated two years ago. Secondly, the rush defense is actually improved this season.

Your right, i said Curvey, but was thinking of Rubin....ya got me!!!!:sad:

I think that perhaps you have some misapprehensions as to just what Gene Chizik is trying to do on defense. Indeed, you seem to be defining things the way you think they should work, not the way Chizik and Bolt are doing it.

Really.....read below.....

You're entirely mistaken here. Chizik's defense uses quick, penetrating tackles. Just the same as OU does--I believe that the name "Tommy Harris" should ring a few bells, and Gerald McCoy is no 300+ pounder, either.

REALLY - well not sure why your bringing the OU defense into this, but, Chizik's past defenses have DEFINITELY used big, strong, 300 lb tackles.... at Texas in the Championship game who were the starting tackles.... the names Rodrique Wright (6'-5" 305 lbs) and Frank Okam (6'-5" 320 lbs). Big does not mean slow, they can be big and dominant without being slow....

That's entirely aside from the fact that Chizik himself has said that the problem with the rush defense is experience at the tackles--or lack thereof. Before this season, even the upperclassmen had played very little at all. And the younger players have been hurt. There's a reason he's said that he's only recruiting one defensive tackle, and all indications are that that won't be a juco. Let alone an immense one.

What better way to get EXPERIENCE then to bring in big strong juco DT's that allow our younger players valuable time to develop and get stronger as well as getting snaps just not the line share of them. Then these players take over the starting spots as juniors and seniors, while the new recruits provide them the breather that is essential for good dline play - rotation.

And Chizik is correct about experence (and health) being a factor, as we have seen Nate Frere really beginning to emerge the last couple of weeks.

Getting Johnson, Black and Alburtis entirely healthy will be important, but I think with those guys, Frere and Ruempolhamer, and the addition of McDonough and a signee, we have a very nice core of returning players at DT. Especialy for what Chizik is trying to do.

Not really sure what else you would expect the head coach to say. "Yeah um our guys are just not physically gifted enough to compete. So, we're going to play them and get our butts handed to us because we have a team total of 9 sacks on the d line and are ranked 103 out of 119 teams in Div. 1 against the run"...."This is as good as this group will ever get"......probably not going to hear that come out of Chiziks mouth. Don't get me wrong i have 100% confidence in what they're doing....i was simply giving my opinion on what i thought would help this team....the name of the thread is not what Coach Chizik thinks will make our team better!!!!

To me, right now, Marry, Carpenter and Money are the most critical recruits, with additional youngsters at defensive end a necessity, due to graduation the next couple of seasons. Well, youth across the board, of course.

The last comment is the most accurate. I would love to get Carpenter and Money. I think Carpenter is seeing other suitors more appealing right now, forgot about who was showing him the love when he was a nobody recruit but that will all work itself out.
Money would be a huge additional and provide Mac another weapon to really open up the offense. You may be right on Marry, I would love to get faster at LB like we had with Banks and Bowen and another guy like Dobbins wouldnt be bad either while were at it. But ultimately, if our DL is not holding its own, our LBs won't matter - PERIOD....