I was at the 1976 ISU-Nebraska game

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I was 10 years old. I started a "Way to go Cyclones, way to go" cheer.....resonated throughout the stadium. Very cool memory...

Went onto the field after the game.

Became a big Dexter Green fan.

Was always a Hawkeye but the Cyclones were a close second.....until the internet.....and message boards.

Trying to get back to that point.

Anybody else a fan of both teams at one point but have been jaded by the trolls and basic bs that gets posted?

Just wondering.

Reactions: Go2Guy and harimad

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was 10 years old. I started a "Way to go Cyclones, way to go" cheer.....resonated throughout the stadium. Very cool memory...

Was always a Hawkeye but the Cyclones were a close second.....until the internet.....and message boards.

Anybody else a fan of both teams at one point but have been jaded by the trolls and basic bs that gets posted?

Just wondering.
I would recommend staying away from the rivals board if you truly want to avoid trolls.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Just wondering.

Yes. I'm not originally from Iowa and didn't really care about either school until I attended ISU. I was more of a Minnesota fan than anything. I had nothing against Iowa until I realized how smug and arrogant a large portion of their fan base is.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I can't help myself :) Actually, it doesn't bother me a whole lot anymore. I'm actually to the point where I can root for ISU football again...but not BBall :)

• Useful
Reactions: aauummm

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Yes. I'm not originally from Iowa and didn't really care about either school until I attended ISU. I was more of a Minnesota fan than anything. I had nothing against Iowa until I realized how smug and arrogant a large portion of their fan base is.
Are you talking internet arrogant or in person arrogant? Quite frankly, I haven't had a bad experience with an ISU fan in person....but I've lived out of state for the last 30 years. I just think social media/message boards have really amped up the vitriol and bad blood.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Are you talking internet arrogant or in person arrogant? Quite frankly, I haven't had a bad experience with an ISU fan in person....but I've lived out of state for the last 30 years. I just think social media/message boards have really amped up the vitriol and bad blood.

Yes, a lot of it is the internet but I've also met people that act exactly like Jeff/HerkyFan/Historic Ames/mvcchamps in person. I live in town but work a lot in rural areas and rural hawk fans seem to fit more of the arrogant stereotype than ones you meet in town. It's increased my dislike for Iowa sports but I don't have the hatred that some clone fans do. I didn't grow up around it and haven't listened to the back and forth for decades.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

Just wondering.

Used to live in Ames, went to a ton of games back in the day. Still root for them, but that is getting harder and harder after posting on here for several month. HOpefully that is a stage I'm just going through, and can shake off the terrible Clone fans crap and recognize that the vast majority of Clone fans are good fans.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I used to like watching some of Johnny Orr's teams mostly the Jeff Grayer and Hornacek teams and then the Hoiberg, Meyer and Mickelas teams. I also liked the early Tim Floyd teams with Willoghby and Horton. I thought Willoughby was one of the most underrated players ever. He was awesome and Horton was very good too.

I also rooted for Dan McCarney especially that night against FSU when ISU should have won.

I never rooted for them against my Hawks though no matter what. But yes, I used to root for ISU a lot more before the internet.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Used to live in Ames, went to a ton of games back in the day. Still root for them, but that is getting harder and harder after posting on here for several month. HOpefully that is a stage I'm just going through, and can shake off the terrible Clone fans crap and recognize that the vast majority of Clone fans are good fans.

And yet your behavior and arrogance on here is very much the reason people dislike the hawks.

When I didn't live in Iowa, I would go to hawkeye watch parties at various bars in the areas I lived in. I even rooted for Iowa, when not playing Iowa State, because it gave a connection to home. Many of those people were reasonably understanding of iowas true place in the college sports world, because they had moved to the real world, and reality smacked their arrogance down.

I used to think the term tavern hawk was so stupid, and nonsensical. But after moving back many years ago, experiencing so many instances of the moron I encountered at Texas Roadhouse in cedar Falls last Saturday, I can't bring myself to hope for those people to be happy with the results of any hawk game. I have close friends that are hawkeye fans, of course they didn't go to Iowa, and I've sat in bars with them mocking me for rooting for Iowa State in the NCAA tournament while Iowa played at the same time in the NIT. We have enough of a bond, we don't really discuss sports during game weeks.

Then you have jeff, dan, breck, alt, ic, etc who come here showing just how ******* insecure they are, how small they are, and no I won't root for iowa.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Just wondering.

Yes. I grew up an Iowa fan, then became a Iowa/ISU/UNI fan in high school, since my dad rooted for all three and I was either going into engineering at ISU or accounting at UNI. I chose ISU. I still rooted for all schools my freshman year. Head to head matchups were difficult.

What drove me away were the Iowa fans, in real life. The internet wasn't as big in the early 90s when I started at ISU. Thus the first time I went home for Thanksgiving break, I got a lot of **** from my dad's extended family for dare going to ISU and that Iowa is better than ISU in everything (every major and sport). I spent most of my Thanksgiving stating, "That's not true," and "I was unaware sports affected my major," and so on. Afterwards they wanted to ensure I still rooted for Iowa over ISU. That was the big push to get me anti-Iowa, in addition to the arrogance when most of them went to UNI and other schools, where only a few went to Iowa. I still got **** from friends and even random people back in Dubuque for dare wearing ISU and not supporting Iowa.

So the Iowa fans, in real life, is what caused me to hate the school I grew up supporting. The internet in later years, reinforced that decision.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
And yet your behavior and arrogance on here is very much the reason people dislike the hawks.

When I didn't live in Iowa, I would go to hawkeye watch parties at various bars in the areas I lived in. I even rooted for Iowa, when not playing Iowa State, because it gave a connection to home. Many of those people were reasonably understanding of iowas true place in the college sports world, because they had moved to the real world, and reality smacked their arrogance down.

I used to think the term tavern hawk was so stupid, and nonsensical. But after moving back many years ago, experiencing so many instances of the moron I encountered at Texas Roadhouse in cedar Falls last Saturday, I can't bring myself to hope for those people to be happy with the results of any hawk game. I have close friends that are hawkeye fans, of course they didn't go to Iowa, and I've sat in bars with them mocking me for rooting for Iowa State in the NCAA tournament while Iowa played at the same time in the NIT. We have enough of a bond, we don't really discuss sports during game weeks.

Then you have jeff, dan, breck, alt, ic, etc who come here showing just how ******* insecure they are, how small they are, and no I won't root for iowa.

The ***** if it is, why do you act just like those you claim to hate?

Most of my posts are defending Iowa from idiotic crap by the likes of you and those like you. I said ISU would be a Bowl team and they will. Also if you wanna see arrogance, talk to a Clone about BB. The arrogance you guys throw at Iowa in BB is 10 times as bad as Hawk fan about football.

So congrats on being just exactly what you say you claim to hate about Hawk fan.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

Just wondering.

I grew an intense dislike for the University of Iowa at a young age. My dad graduated from Alabama so all of us were raised to yell Roll Tide. We moved to Davenport (from Mississippi by way of a couple of years in Utah) when I was in first grade in 1980. Within a year Hayden Fry had his breakthrough season and the level of obnoxiousness from everyone around me was suffocating. Anyone remember Hawkeye Gold (fake Mountain Dew)? And of course, being an Alabama fan, I laughed about it all, since Iowa was pretty much nothing compared to "us." It just all seemed so overblown, so it was annoying.

I graduated high school, and attended ISU. Having grown up in eastern Iowa, I didn't really know much about the university at all. But ISU is awesome. You can't help but fall in love with it. I'm now a "Clone to the Bone" Cyclone. When we played Alabama in the Independence Bowl, I cheered for US. =)

I'm grown up now, and I know a lot of Iowa graduates. Every one of them are decent people. I have a better appreciation for what UofI does for the state, especially the hospitals. They treated my mother's aneurysm there. I actually do cheer for Iowa to do well when they're in postseason things. I felt bad about the Michigan State loss.

Then I read the crap that Hawks post here, and that gets me mad again. Lesson learned, I just need to not read this Internet crap.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The ***** if it is, why do you act just like those you claim to hate?

Most of my posts are defending Iowa from idiotic crap by the likes of you and those like you. I said ISU would be a Bowl team and they will. Also if you wanna see arrogance, talk to a Clone about BB. The arrogance you guys throw at Iowa in BB is 10 times as bad as Hawk fan about football.

So congrats on being just exactly what you say you claim to hate about Hawk fan.

Your level of self awareness is like that of a spoiled child.

Veruca Salt was more aware of how she presented herself to the outside world than you are.

Can you provide links to you chastising hawk fans for the same behaviors you're trying to self victimize hurt for here? I am sure there are many examples. Please go ahead and share those. TIA

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Yes. I grew up an Iowa fan, then became a Iowa/ISU/UNI fan in high school, since my dad rooted for all three and I was either going into engineering at ISU or accounting at UNI. I chose ISU. I still rooted for all schools my freshman year. Head to head matchups were difficult.

What drove me away were the Iowa fans, in real life. The internet wasn't as big in the early 90s when I started at ISU. Thus the first time I went home for Thanksgiving break, I got a lot of **** from my dad's extended family for dare going to ISU and that Iowa is better than ISU in everything (every major and sport). I spent most of my Thanksgiving stating, "That's not true," and "I was unaware sports affected my major," and so on. Afterwards they wanted to ensure I still rooted for Iowa over ISU. That was the big push to get me anti-Iowa, in addition to the arrogance when most of them went to UNI and other schools, where only a few went to Iowa. I still got **** from friends and even random people back in Dubuque for dare wearing ISU and not supporting Iowa.

So the Iowa fans, in real life, is what caused me to hate the school I grew up supporting. The internet in later years, reinforced that decision.
I can understand that turning you off and I certainly don't think a kid should base his education on his fandom.....

I have to be honest...the whole "where you went to school" thing does irritate me. I joined the AF out of high school and took college courses during my career.

I got my Bachelors degree from Embry Riddle....they don't even field any teams that I know of..... I'm working on a Masters from Maryland and don't plan on rooting for them anytime soon. Can I still be a Hawk fan or am I a "Tavern Hawk"?

What's the term for an ISU fan who didn't attend ISU? My uncle has season tickets for ISU basketball and football and attended UNI. Is he a purple Cyclone?

I just find this line of argument pretty silly.....

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Just wondering.
Your first mistake was letting the internet change your real-life convictions. Don't ever do that, about anything, ever.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Your first mistake was letting the internet change your real-life convictions. Don't ever do that, about anything, ever.
You're absolutely right. But you have to admit....some of the stuff on this and other boards can be pretty infuriating. Like I said earlier....I can root for ISU football again and I do let stuff on here with a grain of salt.

ISU BBall....the wounds are too deep :)

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I can understand that turning you off and I certainly don't think a kid should base his education on his fandom.....

I have to be honest...the whole "where you went to school" thing does irritate me. I joined the AF out of high school and took college courses during my career.

I got my Bachelors degree from Embry Riddle....they don't even field any teams that I know of..... I'm working on a Masters from Maryland and don't plan on rooting for them anytime soon. Can I still be a Hawk fan or am I a "Tavern Hawk"?

What's the term for an ISU fan who didn't attend ISU? My uncle has season tickets for ISU basketball and football and attended UNI. Is he a purple Cyclone?

I just find this line of argument pretty silly.....

The school thing is very misinterpreted and due to fan arrogance. When these friends and family would tell me how much ISU sucked and is not as good as Iowa, yet were not on the teams or not in the schools (which they're comparing majors), it does matter. When these people who didn't go to Iowa treat you as a traitor to go to a state school within your state for an education and support that school, yes, it does matter.

The last time I brought up this story, I stated my mom's side of the family were all Hawk fans, where all but one didn't go to college. They're actually good Hawk fans. They were never belittling my choice to go to ISU--they were respectful and inquisitive. They're not Tavern Hawks, they're just good fans.

My dad is primarily an Iowa fan, secondary ISU fan, and graduated from Loras. I don't consider him a "Tavern Hawk," as he's a good fan.

Keep in mind that you started this thread due to ISU posters turning a fan off. Most of us got turned off due to the 80s/90s prenet BS of Fry's Rose Bowl Team and Lute/Raveling bball teams, when being a fan of Iowa in a state with no pro teams became a cult. I guarantee most ISU hostility is due to these people, their offspring, or the media still living in that era.

Reactions: dexterhawk

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Your level of self awareness is like that of a spoiled child.

Veruca Salt was more aware of how she presented herself to the outside world than you are.

Can you provide links to you chastising hawk fans for the same behaviors you're trying to self victimize hurt for here? I am sure there are many examples. Please go ahead and share those. TIA

I was able to watch the ISU vs UNI and game with all Clone fans and the Iowa vs ISU game with many Clone fans. Most ISU fans I know are level headed nice pepole. Unfortunately there are also fans like you and Iowa fans like you as well.

As far as chastising Iowa fans on message boards, I just don't run into it at the premium Rivals site. We don't really post about ISU, heck even game week it was more worry about the game than being hateful idiots on the premium site.