Iceland Trip

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Dude hit me up, I didn't realize you were a 30 something woman on insta. I'll check out all your pics and you can see all my workout challenges and political activism. Very niche community I'm building :p
Be prepared for ALL of my hike pictures. I fully post like a white woman’s Instagram. We can do a follow for follow. I’ll send it to you on messenger since it takes me 45 minutes to send a PM on this site.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I swear somebody did some hella good tourism marketing in Iceland the last ~5 yrs because that is where everyone is going these days I swear.
It’s worth it and it’s relatively cheap to fly round trip to. For being the size of Kentucky, the things you can see and explore is second to none.

Reactions: cowgirl836

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I swear somebody did some hella good tourism marketing in Iceland the last ~5 yrs because that is where everyone is going these days I swear.

It’s always been on my list. But in January 2020, we randomly found a direct flight from msp for $400 in June. It was too good to pass up. Then covid hit and obviously the trip didn’t happen. We didn’t get the $400 flight this time.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It’s honestly cheap as hell if you want it to be. I recommend it to everyone. I think I paid like, 800 total bucks for a week? Plane ticket from Baltimore to Iceland and back was like, 210 bucks, I didn’t stay in a 5 star hotel but it was clean and had a bed and bathroom, which was all I wanted and that was like 35 bucks a night. Car rental was like 300ish bucks? I didn’t spend a ton because I was JUST there to hike, but I didn’t skimp or anything at dinner. Nice dinner and dessert and a couple of drinks was like, 25 bucks.

• Wow
Reactions: cowgirl836

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It’s honestly cheap as hell if you want it to be. I recommend it to everyone. I think I paid like, 800 total bucks for a week? Plane ticket from Baltimore to Iceland and back was like, 210 bucks, I didn’t stay in a 5 star hotel but it was clean and had a bed and bathroom, which was all I wanted and that was like 35 bucks a night. Car rental was like 300ish bucks? I didn’t spend a ton because I was JUST there to hike, but I didn’t skimp or anything at dinner. Nice dinner and dessert and a couple of drinks was like, 25 bucks.

Jesus, where did you stay? Our hotels are super expensive.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
We were there in January. Had a GREAT time. Airfare was very affordable with a direct flight from O'Hare. Hotels and food were comparable to US. I figured it's about the same cost as travel to Florida. If you're into day tours, definitely to the south coast and inland golden circle tours and there's lots to see around Reykjavik.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Iceland is amazing. I'd like to go back for a photography workshop sometime as there are still some areas I didn't get to last time and it's been 6 years already, we were there only 4 days.

The obvious things to list to see: make a pit stop at Blue Lagoon - it's relaxing and the minerals are supposed to be good for you, the hallgrimskirkja church in Reykjavik, you already said you're doing a whale watching tour (was fun to do that saw some minke whales), the more known stuff on golden circle - waterfalls and geyser.

There is a smaller waterfall on ring road that is kind of cool and odd to get to in terms of parking and where it is (might be private property but many people go to it) is called Bruarfoss.

Seljalandsfoss is on the south road I believe, this is a waterfall you can walk behind

Diamond beach - black sand beach that is pretty sweet around Vik on the south road.

Kirkjufell - is a mountain in the northwest that has a little river/water fall near it and was in the game of thrones- this is where we saw the northern lights (was in September) and is one of my favorites I've taken over the years because of the iconic experience. I may post it in here later.

Theres so many waterfalls that you can probably do a search to find which ones look the coolest and are most unique to see. Since you'll be there in June, you should plan to get out around midnight to witness the sun barely going down and coming up, I've heard it definitely messes with people with the length of daylight.

There was a canyon on the south road that I wanted to see and kind of quickly looked for but never found it on the way to diamond beach. Vestrahorn is a mountainous area would have been cool to see on the southeast side. Solheimasandur plane crash. The highlands. Would like to see the ice caves at Vatnajokull glacier. The canyon I was looking for I think is called: fjaðrárgljúfur. Basalt Canyon is unique as well. You can't go wrong with finding different stuff to see.

The wind can get pretty vicious there. We were driving along and it blew hard where it almost felt like it was going to pick the car up and move it. They recommend getting out and holding onto the doors because they can get away from you pretty quickly.

The food is pretty decent. I thought costs were kind of comparable to Norway and Switzerland with it being kind of pricey.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyDude16 and jsb

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron