Idea on College Football’s Future Outlook

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
Not sure if you guys have heard Chip Kelly's take on college football but here it is. He said what should be done is take the power 5 conferences in football only and put them all together and divide the teams up just like they do in the NFL. You would have a North, South, East, and West divisions with subdivisions in each. Then you would still have your 12 team playoffs. All the other sports, including basketball would stay in the conferences just like they are now. The idea being football drives all college athletics. Football teams would only have to travel 6-8 times a season. They can afford that. Basketball and all other sports would stay in the conference that is close in proximity. Currently sports teams like softball, tennis, soccer, and etc all have to travel multiple times across the country a couple times a week because of the new conferences. He basically is saying keep conferences for all sports except football. Throw all college football together. You would take all funding from television and streaming networks and split them amongst the 64-68 power 5 schools. Football would fund all sports at there institutions like they basically do now. Can you imaging all the finding from all the networks! It would be equal for all teams. I think this is a GREAT idea and it will get some traction!

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Mostly discussed in here

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
"Football would fund all sports at there institutions like they basically do now"

So basketball would not have a television contract and in essence become a non-revenue generating sport? What would schools from the Big East do for funding???

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Need plenty more discussion here from all the major players, bowls, NCAA presidents, AD's, coaches, players, HS recruits, fans. Something needs to change

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
maybe congress can wave the anti-trust sword. no one wants to see SEC /BIG win the CFB championship every year.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
What incentive would SEC or Big Ten teams have to share revenue equally with current Big 12 and ACC schools?
Whos says they have to share? Just bump up the remaining schools so everyone is equal.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclonsin

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
My best friend and I discussed the same/similar super conference idea about 15 years or so ago. Suspect lots of others have too. It just makes sense. BUT it changes the $ dynamics drastically.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Whos says they have to share? Just bump up the remaining schools so everyone is equal.
Ok, so where is that extra revenue coming from? And why would the big 10 and sec agree to this change when they do not receive any additional funding from it?

I like this idea better than most (my preference is to go back to the big 8 and pre Penn state big 10 with equal revenue sharing and enough playoff spots for all conferences to have an auto bid), but I think it is probably just as unrealistic

Sep 10, 2015
Yeah, I wish it would because I think it would make CFB a better sport but it will never happen. I see lots of people on the internet that think the current path will lead to a collapse in popularity (usually because of some false equivalency with semi-pro sports or the XFL), but because the teams that will benefit from the uneven playing field actually have the most fans, I think it will probably end up making more money this way. It’s like saying the NFL popularity would collapse if only the 10 largest media market teams dominated the playoffs and eventually the fans in small markets like Jacksonville stopped watching. TV would love that scenario because the extra fans that want to watch Dallas dwarfs whatever you lose in Jacksonville.

Last edited:

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
What incentive would SEC or Big Ten teams have to share revenue equally with current Big 12 and ACC schools?
What incentive do that tops of those conference have for keeping the left overs? At the end of the day, consolidating to only a handful of schools won’t work and would be awful for the athletes. JP said yesterday on KXNO, he believes when it’s all said and done, the athletes will get screwed and I believe it. Greed is killing college sports.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think we should get all the teams together, then break it down by region. We could call the west coast region something like PAC and then how many teams they have. The Midwest could be broken down by two big conferences. We could call both of them big something. Then the teams in the south east we could call the South Eastern conference. That would probably work for 100 years or so. I’ll propose that idea

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Schools like Alabama and Ohio State and their respective conferences have zero interest in an even playing field. They're the top of the heap, right now. They're not going to willingly sign up for a system where they lose their edge.

• Winner
Reactions: JP4CY

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Yeah, I wish it would because I think it would make CFB a better sport but it will never happen. I see lots of people on the internet that think the current path will lead to a collapse in popularity (usually because of some false equivalency with semi-pro sports or the XFL), but because the teams that will benefit from the uneven playing field actually have the most fans, I think it will probably end up making more money this way. It’s like saying the NFL popularity would collapse if only the 10 largest media market teams dominated the playoffs and eventually the fans in small markets like Jacksonville stopped watching. TV would love that scenario because the extra fans that want to watch Dallas dwarfs whatever you lose in Jacksonville.
This reasoning is sound if the fans that are left out continue to watch the Big 10 and SEC. I argue that a good majority of these fans won't watch. Plus, I think there will be less fans of the SEC and Big 10 watching. Due to consolidation, the teams that used to win aren't now winning and will lose interest.