Illinois matchup

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Just browsing the news and sport sites yesterday and this morning, Iowa State is a complete after-thought. Playing up the other 2 seeds and even NC state, but little to no mention of ISU. Here's hoping they blow out Illinois and make a statement.
We won't get recognition until we beat UConn. And that's fine with me.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Also an Illinois native (don't mention 2005) and I'm just awaiting the texts from my dad. No family attended but he's always been a fan. I can't recall these two playing in a while.

Didn’t know you were an Illinois native.

As others, I’m an Illinois native and my dad and sister went to Illinois. So I’m sure I’ll hear from my dad this coming week.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Illinois has the star power, with a roster as talented as anyone in the country. We have a group of really tough, hard working guys and a hell of a coaching staff leading them. They get more attention for the flashy play than we get for our gritty, hard nosed play, which I suppose is natural. It will be interesting to see the contrasting styles and how they mix it up.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Clones by 18, I don't see it being competitive.
Right on, I'm also not worried about Illinois in the slightest. They have beaten nobody and this would be a massive win/upset for them. They were propped up all year along with Wisconsin to make Purdue look good. Their best win outside of the Big 10 was a nine-point neutral site win over FAU nearly four months ago. That is their only win this whole year over an AP Top 25 team. The only team they've beaten since early January ranked better than #30 in kenpom is Wisconsin. They lost by nine at home to Maryland for f*ck's sake. Shannon hero-ball and having Marcus Domask serve as your point guard works against Duquense and Morehead State and Fran McCaffrey defenses, they are in for a rude awakening on Thursday.

Clones by 18, don't see it being competitive.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
t
It will be an interesting matchup, Shannon is an excellent scorer, but if I had to bet between the #1 offense and the #1 defense, I'd bet defense 10 out of 10 times. It's not a lock but good defense is consistent, we've had great offensive teams in the past and we've all seen what happens when the shots aren't falling.
Shannonn is a really good scorer but he’s going to have to earn it. He won’t have hardly any space to operate in and we will do our best to suffocate him.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Just looked on Kenpom

ISU defense (2) vs Illinois offense (1)
ISU offense (48) vs Illinois defense (93)

Our offense has really jumped back to where it had been after the little slump. WSU had the #26 defense, so I think we performed very well against them overall.
I’ve watched them play a few times this year and defensively they are about as bad as Iowa. Our pace of play is going to really frustrate Illinois. Defensively if we can get them sped up and force them into tough shots I more than like our chances. Offensively, we can’t settle. Run the offense and make them defend for long possessions and they will fold. IMO when we are able to do that it absolutely fuels what we do on defense.

Last edited:

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
What Sean May was able to get away with in that national championship was criminal
Sean May, I forgot about him. I remember in our tourney game against them in 2005, the commentator was describing his day trying to make it sound like Sean May was some hardass grinder.

"Sean May wakes up every day at 7am to work out. Then, he takes a nap. Then, he goes to class. Then, he goes to practice." o_O:eek:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Sean May, I forgot about him. I remember in our tourney game against them in 2005, the commentator was describing his day trying to make it sound like Sean May was some hardass grinder.

"Sean May wakes up every day at 7am to work out. Then, he takes a nap. Then, he goes to class. Then, he goes to practice." o_O:eek:
His entire game was being a fat ass and bowling over people. Then everyone was surprised he was a bust in the NBA

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’ve watched them play a few times this year and defensively they are about as bad as Iowa. Our pace of play is going to really frustrate Illinois. Defensively if we can get them sped up and force them into tough shots I more than like our chances. Offensively, we can’t settle. Run the offense and make them defend for long possessions and they will fold. IMO when we are able to do that it absolutely fuels what we do on defense.

ISU's offense, although known for coming off of turnovers, operates at its best when it's making the opponent chase and defend.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
When you dig into the numbers, Iowa State's style of play is just more durable in tough/close games as one would expect a S16 game to be. As others have mentioned, Illinois only had one top 25 win all year, and was 2-5 in Q1a games. Iowa State had 7 top 25 wins and was 6-3 in Q1a games. Barttorvik profile analysis puts their win probability in the tournament at 1.1, while Iowa States is 2.8. That's a pretty big disparity among teams in the Sweet 16. Illinois has already overperformed their likely finish position. Their closest comparison to a team we have played is Baylor with a slightly better offense and slightly worse defense. Iowa State last played Baylor nine days ago, winning by 14. Keshon Gilbert went off for 20 points in that game.