Illinois matchup

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I thought it would happen against Wasu, but I'm completely convinced Tre is going to have one of those games where he hits 3 or 4 threes and goes off for 20. Whether that's against Illinois or UConn, I think he will be the difference in one of those games.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Look at the schedule for Illinois. Who are their big wins? Seems every time they played vs. a top 20 caliber team they folded.

Games vs. Top 20 caliber opponents were all losses:

Lost at home to Marquette by 7.
Lost @ Tennesee by 7.
Lost @ Purdue by 5.
Lost at home to Purdue by 6.

Most impressive wins on the year likely FAU (neutral floor) by 9, Mich St at home by 3, @Wisky by 8, Wisconsin in Big Ten Championship by 6 (neutral). Been saying all year Wisconsin is an absolute fraud.

Im not so sure they are battle tested. Something to keep an eye on late if its a tight game.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I noticed that too. But it seemed like she knew it was wrong because she kept asking if she was saying it right, and she only said it after the other guy called im oatselburger first
You'd think they'd know. I mean it's their job to know that kind of thing. After all, we're a P-6 hoops team and 2 seed that won it's conference tourney championship.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Before Underwood, they didn't have great coaches there for a while. Also before NIL Chicago recruiting was notoriously dirty.
They had John groce from 2012-2017 which was a bad stretch but before that they Bruce Weber, Bill Self, and Lon Kruger. Pretty decent crew.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, I will play devils advocate. Based on the tournament, who have we beaten? Big 12 has looked terrible, not even competitive in some games. We beat Houston at home and a depleted Houston team in the Big 12 tournament. We beat Baylor, a Baylor team that was hammered by Michigan State. We lost to BYU, a team that was beaten by Duquesne and Illinois killed Duquesne. I'm being somewhat sarcastic with the above, my point is they can come up with reasons why we are not so good either. Both teams have 28-29 wins and won their conference tournaments, to win that much means you are a good team. I think it is going to be an incredible game.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Okay, I will play devils advocate. Based on the tournament, who have we beaten? Big 12 has looked terrible, not even competitive in some games. We beat Houston at home and a depleted Houston team in the Big 12 tournament. We beat Baylor, a Baylor team that was hammered by Michigan State. We lost to BYU, a team that was beaten by Duquesne and Illinois killed Duquesne. I'm being somewhat sarcastic with the above, my point is they can come up with reasons why we are not so good either. Both teams have 28-29 wins and won their conference tournaments, to win that much means you are a good team. I think it is going to be an incredible game.
You serious right now????

Houston (TWICE - Including an absolute beatdown)
Kansas at full strength
Baylor

All far more impressive wins than anything Illinois had. BYU was a similar win as Wisconsin.

I fully understand Houston lost their backup center. They are still very much a final 4 contender and top 3 team in the country.