In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Which of these would want in Ames? More at:

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2016/04/regional-fast-food-chains-to-try-before-you-die
tfltiwddqg2u9ehjj3ym

Jack in the Box

mullet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2010
Ruttles in Ames for their Thursday cars shows and an OG food challenge where you consume 2,500 calories in ice cream. What could go wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: cyowan

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
New Dragon Chinese- It was about 2 doors down welch, from peoples. Circa 1998- it was something like $3.25 ($3.43 with tax) for a big chinese meal. AND it was GOOD. Hands down my favorite place to eat in college. I would drive to Ames, right now, if it was still open.

Battles- That old guy would put today's BBQ'ers to shame, using 1940s era smoker. Love the smell of that place when you walked in.

Cazador- I grew up in smalltown iowa, no idea what Mexican food was. Pretty good food, when it used to be in the West HyVee Parking lot......and they give you chips and salsa when you walked in....AND you don't even have to order it (oh to be young).
We always got the Fajitas....We also had the random guy in our group, that would always order a Cheeseburger and Frys.........wait what?

Keg Shop- spring 2000, we saved all our cash, to sneak a Keg into Willow on the last weekend of class. Walked into Kegshop with $100.00. Firesale was Cases of BudLight for 4.99........um, scratch the Keg. 20 Cases of Budlight later......:)

Hometeam- Fall 98- about once a month they ran the 3 mediums for $6.99. Seriously..what?... Every other Night about 8-10PM, we could just Yell down the dorm floor. Who's in for Home team. $2.50 for a Medium. Cash would just come flying into the Hallway. Our Hallway usually ordered about 12 pizza at a time.

• Funny
Reactions: skipisu and StClone

OPCyclone

Dec 4, 2008
Overland Park, KS
The Pizza House and DoBiz Cookies

You can get similar pizza a Paglia's Pizza in Grinnell (originally Pizza House was Paglia's Brothers Pizza (or something like that) and DoBiz dough and make the cookies yourself, but it is not the same!

I used to get free Pizza House pizza each Sunday night as payment for running the "Free Friday Flicks" on campus back in 1982-1985 time frame....

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
There was a Chinese restaurant on Welch Avenue across from the Subway. I can't remember the name of it. They had some of the best fried shrimp dishes. I was never a fan of Chinese food before I went there and most Chinese since has been a disappointment in comparison.

Anyone remember the name of it?

Little Taipai!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Hometeam- Fall 98- about once a month they ran the 3 mediums for $6.99. Seriously..what?... Every other Night about 8-10PM, we could just Yell down the dorm floor. Who's in for Home team. $2.50 for a Medium. Cash would just come flying into the Hallway. Our Hallway usually ordered about 12 pizza at a time.

Haha same exact thing with our dorm floor, it was the main way to get the shut ins to socialize. The hallway would be filled with people on Tuesday's with money to order a 4th of the largest pokey stix size.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Battles- That old guy would put today's BBQ'ers to shame, using 1940s era smoker. Love the smell of that place when you walked in.

Why can't we have a sit down smoke-filled slightly greasy BBQ in Ames!? Not a Hickory Park but a place like the old Hog Stop in Council Bluffs. (Some hated that place an I loved it).

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
India Palace

Maybe they've reopened, I don't know, but their lunch buffet was great after a night of drinking, and the owners were good people.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Fox II lounge had free happy hour food. Couple that with 3 pitchers for 6 bucks, wowzer.

Did Minksys share Mickeys location with Pancheros?
Duggans Deli
Dons Deli
Burgers and fries on special at Peoples weren't too bad
Old Georges when it was on Main
Happy Joes taco pizza
Diamond Daves and their buck burgers and $2 long islands. I crawled outta there some nights

Biggest loss is O'Malleys as previously stated. I loved their Alcoholicos Anonimos poster above the taps.

Reactions: Macloney

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Fox II lounge had free happy hour food. Couple that with 3 pitchers for 6 bucks, wowzer.

Did Minksys share Mickeys location with Pancheros?
Duggans Deli
Dons Deli
Burgers and fries on special at Peoples weren't too bad
Old Georges when it was on Main
Happy Joes taco pizza
Diamond Daves and their buck burgers and $2 long islands. I crawled outta there some nights

Biggest loss is O'Malleys as previously stated. I loved their Alcoholicos Anonimos poster above the taps.

Fox Lounge closed? Damn that sucks.