Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Smore's Term Oil 4-packs in the DM metro. Seems like I passed on this last year because they were trying to sell it at a ridiculous cost per can, but the 4 pack now costs 22$...Went back and looked, I believe they were selling it at ~20$ a can in 2019....wonder if my local grocer just has it mislabeled...
I saw it for 20 per can last year too. I'd jump on the 4 pack. It's sweet but very good.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
How does this compare to the regular SMores I bought earlier this year? I like beer, I just can't get on board with these pastry stouts.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
How does this compare to the regular SMores I bought earlier this year? I like beer, I just can't get on board with these pastry stouts.
Probably pretty similar, bordering on cloyingly sweet, but barrel aged and proably higher proof which should help with the sweetness.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Lua just started canning. I had some Redemption from this last night and it was excellent. Lua has quickly become my #1 in the state.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Lua just started canning. I had some Redemption from this last night and it was excellent. Lua has quickly become my #1 in the state.

Sounds like a great new one, thank you for the heads up. Pretty much any DIPA from Lua is a free space killer beer. They always hit it out of the park with their NEIPA.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

Hopefully it’s fresh, so much of the Pequad stuff ends up being months old by the time we get it here. Weldwerks tends to have decent dates but I’m not spending 20+$ for a 4 pack of ipas that are more than 3 months old.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Hopefully it’s fresh, so much of the Pequad stuff ends up being months old by the time we get it here. Weldwerks tends to have decent dates but I’m not spending 20+$ for a 4 pack of ipas that are more than 3 months old.

I picked up a 4pk of Mikerphone beer "Run to Daylight" last week. maybe 2 weeks ago, I think the canned date was April 2023.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I picked up a 4pk of Mikerphone beer "Run to Daylight" last week. maybe 2 weeks ago, I think the canned date was April 2023.
I've been super hit or miss with them. I've seen some cans that just hit our shelves that were 4-5 months old. Seems like a lot of breweries are using it to clear stock that doesn't sell in house.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I would imagine Michael and his team aren't going to send old beer into a neighboring state. The old stuff people find are mainly due to the distributor not being able to find a home for it or it sits on the shelf and becomes a turd. As someone who sells beer to multiple states the oldest code I ever send is 14 days(unless it is a lager) but 85-90% of it is less than 10 days old when it leaves the warehouse.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I'm not spending $20/4 pack on anyone's IPAs any more. Just complete over that ****.

If I'm at a brewery or see one on tap, I'll pull the trigger. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my $11/6 pack of Easy Eddy when I need a hop fix.
I want to know what Blackstack puts in their beers that they think every one of them deserves to be priced at +$22. They're fine, but they're also all the same chalky, gravy looking IPA that tastes like pure heartburn.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I want to know what Blackstack puts in their beers that they think every one of them deserves to be priced at +$22. They're fine, but they're also all the same chalky, gravy looking IPA that tastes like pure heartburn.
God, exactly.

Dixie's in Decorah (great beer bar in the OG TG location) has Black Stack quite a bit. I tried it once and just said to myself "**** this, I'll drink Dimensional instead".

Last edited:

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Lactose.

I wouldn't necessarily blame BlackStack for the pricing, there are a ton of factors that go into distribution pricing.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I'm not spending $20/4 pack on anyone's IPAs any more. Just complete over that ****.

If I'm at a brewery or see one on tap, I'll pull the trigger. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my $11/6 pack of Easy Eddy when I need a hop fix.
Yeah I’m the same. Some of the 4 packs are close to $30 now, just ridiculous prices. I can get good local beer from Confluence, Lua, Big Grove and Barn Town in the $10-15 range so I’ve pretty much stopped buying these new ones unless I can get a single of something that looks interesting.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah I’m the same. Some of the 4 packs are close to $30 now, just ridiculous prices. I can get good local beer from Confluence, Lua, Big Grove and Barn Town in the $10-15 range so I’ve pretty much stopped buying these new ones unless I can get a single of something that looks interesting.
Yeah, I'm fine with a $5 single, but not 4 of them for some reason.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Lactose.

I wouldn't necessarily blame BlackStack for the pricing, there are a ton of factors that go into distribution pricing.
I remember their beers being expensive in the taproom as well. It's hard to have an affordable beer when they're all +10%