Iowa State bars/restaurants in Iowa City or Madison, WI areas?

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I'm starting a PhD program in January, and it is down to a final 3 of ISU, Wiscy, and Iowa.

Anyone know of any ISU bars in either Madison or Iowa City? If I end up in Big 10 land, hopefully there will be somewhere I can watch games.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
I'm starting a PhD program in January, and it is down to a final 3 of ISU, Wiscy, and Iowa.

Anyone know of any ISU bars in either Madison or Iowa City? If I end up in Big 10 land, hopefully there will be somewhere I can watch games.

And don't worry, even if I end up as a student at Iowa, I'll never be a Hawkeye...

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
And don't worry, even if I end up as a student at Iowa, I'll never be a Hawkeye...
So when I was in grad school at Iowa, there wasn't ISU bar that we went to per se, but we did have organized game watches for ISU grads in the graduate/professional programs there. I know we did some at the Vine in Coralville when I was there, though that was a good 10 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: werdnamanhill

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I don’t know of any ISU bars in Madison but I’m happy to start one with you should you end up here. Maybe we can get @cowgirl836 to join?
Wife and I are alums in the Madison area as well. Several cyclones around! Doundrins Distilling in Cottage Grove is owned by a couple of ISU alums as well, awesome place. If some one took the reins, I'd bet there could be a pretty solid ISU "home" bar in Madison.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Wife and I are alums in the Madison area as well. Several cyclones around! Doundrins Distilling in Cottage Grove is owned by a couple of ISU alums as well, awesome place. If some one took the reins, I'd bet there could be a pretty solid ISU "home" bar in Madison.

Omg they are Cyclones?! I've been wanting to go there all summer, love that it's family friendly and the drinks look amazing.

There have been watch parties at Pooley's in the past. But I'd vote for Doundrin's!

Reactions: Peter

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
That sounds promising. Going to be out of town this weekend but maybe for future games.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Omg they are Cyclones?! I've been wanting to go there all summer, love that it's family friendly and the drinks look amazing.

There have been watch parties at Pooley's in the past. But I'd vote for Doundrin's!
It's a great place run by Nick and Abby Abramovich. I have to correct my previous post, Abby is the Iowa State alum and Nick was a UW-Madison grad. Regardless, still a Cyclone tie and great drinks and outdoor space!

Reactions: cowgirl836

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

What's the program? Having lived in both Iowa City and Ames I would say Iowa City is decidedly more anti-cyclone then Ames is anti-Hawkeye.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No ISU bars that I know of.

Pooley's on the far east side used to have lots of TVs and had a collection of college football helmets all around the bar. Iirc they had an old ISU helmet. W-shaped bar which was interesting too.

So long as UW isn't playing in a big game, the place to game watch is Wilson's. Lots of TVs, good beer and food.

If your choice comes down to life outside of school and you're active outdoors Madison is a good choice. Active city itself, but 1-2 house west are some cool driftless spots, 90 miles east is Lake Michigan, and 3-4 hours up the middle you have the north woods.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
No ISU bars that I know of.

Pooley's on the far east side used to have lots of TVs and had a collection of college football helmets all around the bar. Iirc they had an old ISU helmet. W-shaped bar which was interesting too.

So long as UW isn't playing in a big game, the place to game watch is Wilson's. Lots of TVs, good beer and food.

If your choice comes down to life outside of school and you're active outdoors Madison is a good choice. Active city itself, but 1-2 house west are some cool driftless spots, 90 miles east is Lake Michigan, and 3-4 hours up the middle you have the north woods.

Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about it! I've been to Wisconsin a few times before. Definitely seems like it has the outdoor activities as advantage over Iowa for the most part.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about it! I've been to Wisconsin a few times before. Definitely seems like it has the outdoor activities as advantage over Iowa for the most part.

Imo Iowa's getting better and NE Iowa is great but overall it's really not close.

Not a knock on Iowa--I fish some really cool spots in Iowa that I feel like would be busier in WI so there's an advantage from that perspective.

• Agree

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Iowa City is kind of a smaller version of Madison. Given your major, you likely know this geography better than I do, but it would be like moving the Iowa state capitol, UI, and ISU, to the isthmus between East and West Okoboji.

If you look at a map of the Wisconsin glacier (the last ice age), you can see how Okoboji sits in relation to the Des Moines lobe of the Wisconsin glacier, as Madison does in relation to that glacier in Wisconsin (and basically the same latitude I believe).

It has been a long time since I've been there, but UW likely still has good live music on their Union terrace, on the weekends, on the lake or inside at the nearby Rathskeller in the event of bad weather, or in the winter. It is kind of like the shows ISU used to have (maybe still does) at The Maintenance Shop, but much larger. At UW, these used to be free (paid by UW student fees or whatever), and maybe still are. There are many good acts traveling between Chicago, say, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis, all the time.

Everything else equal, I would choose UW-Madison over Iowa City.

If you plan an academic career, perhaps you would consider the schools that you don't choose now, in the future.

Last edited:

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Iowa City is kind of a smaller version of Madison. Given your major, you likely know this geography better than I do, but it would be like moving the Iowa state capitol, UI, and ISU, to the isthmus between East and West Okoboji.

If you look at a map of the Wisconsin glacier (the last ice age), you can see how Okoboji sits in relation to the Des Moines lobe of the Wisconsin glacier, as Madison does in relation to that glacier in Wisconsin (and basically the same latitude I believe).

It has been a long time since I've been there, but UW likely still has good live music on their Union terrace, on the weekends, on the lake or inside at the nearby Rathskeller in the event of bad weather, or in the winter. It is kind of like the shows ISU used to have (maybe still does) at The Maintenance Shop, but much larger. At UW, these used to be free (paid by UW student fees or whatever), and maybe still are. There are many good acts traveling between Chicago, say, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis, all the time.

Everything else equal, I would choose UW-Madison over Iowa City.

If you plan an academic career, perhaps you would consider the schools that you don't choose now, in the future.

Thanks for your insight! I definitely think I have 3 good options in front of me, I'm excited about all 3 for different reasons. I don't know much about Wisconsin, and wasn't able to visit due to COVID-19, so this is all super great info.

Reactions: Clone83

Help Support Us

Become a patron