Iowa State Uniform Discussions

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don’t think the new uni’s are all that different from the helmet.

Thanks. Those do look similar. I have to think it was the lighting then. Especially if they didn't change the pantone of the cardinal color.

I feel a little better that they will be OK. I do think the photographer and photo-editing folks should not have let some of those other pics out.

Reactions: Billups06

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
So they could have done better with the lighting. On some of the pics, the cardinal jersey is overexposed or too bright. Pay a little more attention to the lighting then, or the final photo-editing before release.

On to the number font. Some fonts are not consistent in width between the #s 1-10. The font they chose is this way, I think. The numbers 3, 4, and 1 are noticeably thinner in width than the 7 and 9, for example.

I like the fonts that are more consistent in width. We will have to live with these. the 3, 4, and especially the 1 are very narrow. [And you might say the 1 is always narrow. Not always, no.]

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So who is going to make the spreadsheet of how many different combos we have and how many of them will we never see again after we lose one game in that combo.

:jimlad:

The "not quite Peach Bowl" uniforms associated with the Rhoads era...

1714620512633.png

The redesign early in the Campbell era that just got retired...

1714620528428.png

• Informative
Reactions: Erik4Cy and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Screw CW and his idea of getting rid of gold entirely.
And he likes matte helmets also (today's pod). All you need to know are these two tidbits about CW. Haha

I mean getting rid of our gold? With a straight face? His Iowa roots are showing. Ghrr.

Sure, we have some good discussions about our gold. Why not just add a darker shade? I think that would be a pretty simple solution.

Just get rid of it, yeah that's the ticket. LOL

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
RIP the old thread title! And now moved to General Discussion. I suppose it was time for a change there too?

So we can begin discussion of the men's and women's track unis! Yay.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
So they could have done better with the lighting. On some of the pics, the cardinal jersey is overexposed or too bright. Pay a little more attention to the lighting then, or the final photo-editing before release.

On to the number font. Some fonts are not consistent in width between the #s 1-10. The font they chose is this way, I think. The numbers 3, 4, and 1 are noticeably thinner in width than the 7 and 9, for example.

I like the fonts that are more consistent in width. We will have to live with these. the 3, 4, and especially the 1 are very narrow. [And you might say the 1 is always narrow. Not always, no.]

They actually don’t have to do this with the font/numbers. The actual font is our official “Cyclone” font (I have the .ttf - feel free to DM me for a copy! :))

They haven’t messed up the font size/height since the ~2014 redesign template from Nike where they also pulled the shoulder stripes down under the armpit. The last 2 iterations (including Purdy freshman year, and then the slight change in his soph year) had the numbers in their correct format without any weird stretching or elongating. I hope it’s just a bad angle. I do like our Cyclones font but it looks bad when “stretched” to be taller. Like a person using Word Art in PowerPoint and stretching it and breaking the proper dimensions/spacing…

Reactions: t-noah

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
And he likes matte helmets also (today's pod). All you need to know are these two tidbits about CW. Haha

I mean getting rid of our gold? With a straight face? His Iowa roots are showing. Ghrr.

Sure, we have some good discussions about our gold. Why not just add a darker shade? I think that a would be pretty simple solution.

Just get rid of it, yeah that's the ticket. LOL

I love me some C-Willy.

But when much of your job is giving takes in public... sometimes you're going to misfire.

The "I hate the gold" is maybe his worst one.

I love our gold. And I hate the black.

Sounds like he'd want to go to some sort of red/black look... nope.

We already have Cincinnati and Texas Tech and Utah in the conference with that.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
RIP the old thread title! And now moved to General Discussion. I suppose it was time for a change there too?

So we can begin discussion of the men's and women's track unis! Yay.
I figured it’s been all over the place and has basically become the master thread for all uniform discussions. Never a perfect solution.

Reactions: 1238576073jb

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I love me some C-Willy.

But when much of your job is giving takes in public... sometimes you're going to misfire.

The "I hate the gold" is maybe his worst one.

I love our gold. And I hate the black.

Sounds like he'd want to go to some sort of red/black look... nope.

We already have Cincinnati and Texas Tech and Utah in the conference with that.
Our cardinal and gold is a strength, and when it is right it is lush and beautiful. We do struggle to get it right though. :confused:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I figured it’s been all over the place and has basically become the master thread for all uniform discussions. Never a perfect solution.
That's probably true. I still think it fits better in the football forum.

The mods know what they are doing.

Reactions: Jer

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Sure, we have some good discussions about our gold. Why not just add a darker shade? I think that a would be pretty simple solution.
This is my beef. I don’t care for the shades. The Gold certainly and possibly the Cardinal need to be darker.

Reactions: clonedude

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
This is my beef. I don’t care for the shades. The Gold certainly and possibly the Cardinal need to be darker.
We've been saying this for years. Cardinal gold work great together they just need to be used correctly. We use a pale yellow for our gold, I don't care if the official color swatches they came up with in 1920 are that gold we can change it now.

All of this being said I think our new uniforms might pop a little better on the TV screen than our former unis. The shoulder stripes being bit and visible will help with that, so who knows maybe it'll be more visually appealing on the TV, albeit boring and generic.

Reactions: KidSilverhair