Iowa State Uniform Discussions

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone heard any rumblings if basketball is due some new uniforms? Feel like we've had this iteration since the 2018 season? I know the 2019 Shayok/Tyrese team wore current look.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
We've been saying this for years. Cardinal gold work great together they just need to be used correctly. We use a pale yellow for our gold, I don't care if the official color swatches they came up with in 1920 are that gold we can change it now.
Amen. Cardinal and gold would be an awesome uniform combination. For some reason ISU says “Cardinal and gold” when what everyone sees is “red and yellow.”

Also buy into the Trice stripes more. It’s a terrific legacy that could be a real plus in branding … if it was actually featured on a uniform somewhere.

I‘m also a fan of the Orrnado.

Reactions: Nor'easter

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This is my beef. I don’t care for the shades. The Gold certainly and possibly the Cardinal need to be darker.
Our Brand Marketing depart is still learning what pantones are rather than using the color picker tool from random pictures. Been a work in progress since the 1800s.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and t-noah

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Our official "gold" is ****ing ugly - I'm not sure why y'all still complaining about the "gold" used on the uniforms, which I would call "athletic gold"

I can understand if someone wanted to use gold similar to the 49ers, but surely no one thinks our official "gold" is better than "athletic gold", right?

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Technically we could have green uniforms and it'd be within our primary pallete. For some reason.

Funny at the end where they talk about color combos to avoid:
"Colors associated with other public institutions, such as the one on the eastern side of the state, should not be used. Even though gold is one of Iowa State's primary colors, use of black and gold together should be avoided. Purple is not within any of Iowa State's color palettes and should never be used."
So those black helmets with the i-state logo are prohibited. But this is for the university side more than anything. The athletic department seems to do whatever they want.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Our official "gold" is ****ing ugly - I'm not sure why y'all still complaining about the "gold" used on the uniforms, which I would call "athletic gold"

I can understand if someone wanted to use gold similar to the 49ers, but surely no one thinks our official "gold" is better than "athletic gold", right?
IMG_7034.jpeg
This is the gold we should use. I don’t like the 49ers because they are more tan than gold. These are the best versions of gold.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
i say we go to the opposite extreme...make mcdonalds colors look dark by comparison. View attachment 128599
I could actually see those as an alternate uniform. My favorite all-time is the Ames-Trice throw-backs. Current "new" uniforms are definitely a "meh." Like most on here, I like the darker shades. Ever notice teams like USC don't seem to have these problems?

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
The colors are terrible, but I love the Trice Stripes - exactly how they should be done. I don't even mind the stripe down the side as it pulls it all together. But I'd like a side of fries with those colors.
these colors are even more intense than mcdonalds. i mean baylor went neon several years ago so i'm sure iowa state is about ready to dip their toes in that trend, given that it's well gone by now. what gave me the idea was this shirt i recently found. in the sunlight it legitimately glows like a neon red, it's kind of baffling. Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 9.51.33 AM.png

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
View attachment 128600
This is the gold we should use. I don’t like the 49ers because they are more tan than gold. These are the best versions of gold.
No question IMO that this is, by far, the best combo of Cardinal and Gold ever displayed on any ISU uni that I recall dating back to the 60s (that I've seen on color pics or vids) Would be ideal to change all ISU unis and logos to this combination but the expense in doing so would be enormous, especially in terms of signage at every ISU venue/building displaying the I-State logo and/or school colors.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

Help Support Us

Become a patron