Iowa State vs Iowa line

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yo did you just try to spin this as Iowa beating a bad #17 fbs team by 28pts and Iowa state beating a “good” fbs team by 6pts that went 3-4 last season?I want what your smoking.
No. Nothing about today was pretty.

What I'm saying is Hawk confidence will be off the charts, while some of you hang dog Cyclone fans will be wallowing in your self pity. In reality, that UNI team is probably better than people give them credit for and they ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS punch above their weight playing the instate FBS schools. ISU did the bare minimum they could to win - and still won.

On the other side, does anyone really think Indiana was a top 20 team at noon today? The final score was 38 - 6 but 14 of their points came on INT returns. One of those literally came immediately after a Hawkeye fumble, completely negating that fumble. The Hoosiers were forced to play 1-dimensional football the entire second half. I'm just saying Iowa's performance today probably isn't repeatable.

If both ISU and Iowa regress to the mean this week, the game should be really competitive.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I honestly think that game turned out exactly the way MC wanted it too.

It's an interesting theory. Introduce some adversity, vanilla gameplan, still get the win.

Not sold on it as a strategy when we were 1 play away from things going horribly wrong. But one thing we won't be next week is overconfident.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
ESPN has their own QBR that nobody uses. QB rating is universally used and Petras at 93.3 which was equivalent to Jacob Park stoned vs Texas
Yep, just noticed I was comparing apples/oranges. ESPN didn't list a QBR for Purdy yesterday, just his QB Rating. So I was comparing Petras' QBR to Purdy's QB Rating. @HawkFan1 , @CyTwins et al were right.

Petras QBR = 79, QB Rating = 93
Purdy QBR = 50, QB Rating = 145

QB Rating is heavily weighted on completion percentage and turnovers. Complete your passes, don't throw INTs, and your QB Rating will be good. Doesn't matter how difficult those passes are - distance, pressure, etc.

QBR tries to take that context into account, and is opponent adjusted. So even though Purdy had a much better day in basically every stat, his QBR takes a hit because we played UNI instead of the "19th ranked" Indiana Hoosiers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron