Is Turner Gill a no brainer?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
WGRZ out of Buffalo reported that Gill is not interested in the Iowa State position. The big coaching vacancy was given to Chizik so I would only assume that Gill is going to stay on at Buffalo for another year until a good job opens up next year. Scratch his name from the list.
Yeah, once upon a time, Tim Floyd wasn't interested in Iowa State, either.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
I hope not. Gill is this go around's Jim Harbaugh. Remember, Buffalo lost 5 games this season, including at home to Kent State, and played in a down MAC Conference. I'm not sold on this guy by any stretch. One good season can be a fluke, and doesn't necessarily mean Buffalo's now a perennial contender in the MAC.

I wanted Harbaugh over Chizik at the time and I still wish we would have hired Harbaugh. He would have won more games over the last two years than Chizik.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
After reviewing Buffalo's schedule results this year I was thinking the exact same thing.

MAC conf. is down this year... loss to Kent St. at home among losses to other schools that are not that good. I feel he benifitted mostly from the MAC being down.

I'm liking Peterson from TCU more and more.

It isn't like he is playing with ISU caliber players, let alone the caliber of players he could probably recruit to ISU once here. Patterson from TCU would be awesome, but I can't figure out why anyone thinks he would be interested.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
I hate to say it, but I really doubt we get Gill. If he interviewed for Auburn and turned it down, I have to ask...why the hell would he come to Iowa State? Maybe he didn't turn it down, maybe Chizik really was Auburn's first choice. I guess it could happen...I mean, hell, someone actually poached our 2-10 coach. It's a crazy ******* world.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I hate to say it, but I really doubt we get Gill. If he interviewed for Auburn and turned it down, I have to ask...why the hell would he come to Iowa State? Maybe he didn't turn it down, maybe Chizik really was Auburn's first choice. I guess it could happen...I mean, hell, someone actually poached our 2-10 coach. It's a crazy ******* world.

From other stories I dont think Gill was offered the Auburn job.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
If true, I would think that improves our chances. But I thought I read that he "didn't know enough about Auburn" to take the job.

If that is true, maybe it bodes well for us. He is making sure he gets to a spot he thinks he can succeed, so if he does end up here, he knows what he is getting into.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Not sold on the Tulsa coach....how has Kragthorpe done at Louisville since being the hot guy at Tulsa.

Not sold on the Ball St. coach.

Patterson will never come (we don't have the money) and I'm not sold that he can recruit to Ames.

Boise St. coach will never come.

Farley...no thanks.

Gill is the obvious choice. Do whatever is necessary JP!

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Gill is not interested case closed. Graham would be my first choice second to Loney. Loney did well here and has NFL experience he is part of the Cyclone family which is what we may need right now? Graham is offensive minded and took Tulsa to new heights and has recruiting connections in Oklahoma. Hoke is a decent cad to, just not number one for me. He did good things at Ball State, but may not be ready to coach big twelve ball who knows?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Gill has a team to prepare for a bowl game. What do you all think he is gonna say when questioned about the ISU position??

If JP can get him to listen, I think we have a chance. Otherwise...here comes Farley...woopee.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Gill is not interested case closed.
You know this because? Did he say that on his Facebook? Did you call and ask him? Text him? Email? Some thought Chizik was out of our league and not interested yet he came to ISU. Dont doubt the salesmanship of JP.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
San Diego and the Pioneer League is a far cry from Buffalo and the MAC. The comparison to Jim Harbaugh is not a good one, even though it can be argued that Harbaugh has improved, and is improving, Stanford.

Gill took a team that won ten games since 1999 before he got there in 2006, to a team that won 8 games in one season after his third year.

Like many have said already, Gill is the perfect choice if he wants the job. He knows how to build a program from the basement up, and at best we're at ground level right now. I'd be really interested as to whom you'd be sold on if you aren't sold on Gill.

Here's the problem with Gill or any young and inexperienced head coach or assistant we might hire: They get here with the mindset of turning around a program. Then we have a couple of bad years and they start to think how this job will adversely affect their chances of ever landing a top position at another school, which leads to them bailing on us like Chizik did.

Also, I'm not sold that Pellini is the answer at NU. So, we could potentially have a situation where Gill bolts for Nebby.

I'm for getting an older more established coach who has head coaching experience and has had long term success somewhere. Someone like that will be more willing to weather the storm here for the next couple of years.

I like Patterson at TCU, Pat Hill at Fresno St, Steve Loney, Mike Price at UTEP to name a few.