ISU baseball team

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
None of those are the third most watched college sport and as integral to the fabric of America as baseball has been.

Integral to the fabric of America? A sport where the top league routinely steps on its own **** every chance it gets? You have got to be shitting me.

Reactions: mramseyISU

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Northern schools can't complete in baseball. It's just not happening. They play year round down south. Plus we just don't have the funds. Not to mention we wouldn't have the NIL to compete in that world.

• Winner
Reactions: jdubs

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
adding another sport that loses money is probably not a business venture Jamie wants to pursue

View attachment 128214
What year is this data from? It's surprising to me that Swimming and Diving, Women's T&F and softball make more revenue than wrestling? Huh... what kind of accounting and revenue reporting is going on? Wrestling we pay for tickets and softball is free. How can softball possibly make any money, let alone $357K? Interesting.

I would have thought it would go football, Men's basketball, women's basketball then wrestling as the order of revenue.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
What year is this data from? It's surprising to me that Swimming and Diving, Women's T&F and softball make more revenue than wrestling? Huh... what kind of accounting and revenue reporting is going on? Wrestling we pay for tickets and softball is free. How can softball possibly make any money, let alone $357K? Interesting.

I would have thought it would go football, Men's basketball, women's basketball then wrestling as the order of revenue.

Reactions: Chitowncy

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
college baseball is far from the 3rd most watched sport
I haven't dug into see if this is true BUT even if it is. Just because it's third highest doesn't mean it's valuable. If it isn't football ratings then it doesn't matter. Just looked at last year, and yes the CWS had a big ratings boost. However, we are talking the CWS here which averaged 1.65 million viewers and the Final averaged 2.86 million. That's just a really nice regular season college football game number.

Regular season college baseball would draw nothing. It took the CWS to get even those ratings.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Really interested in what you think is the third most nationally popular college sport behind football and basketball....
1. CFB
2. MBB
3. WBB

seems 4 and 5 baseball and softball are both very close averaging around 2m viewers for their championship series

• Agree
Reactions: Chitowncy

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I haven't dug into see if this is true BUT even if it is. Just because it's third highest doesn't mean it's valuable. If it isn't football ratings then it doesn't matter. Just looked at last year, and yes the CWS had a big ratings boost. However, we are talking the CWS here which averaged 1.65 million viewers and the Final averaged 2.86 million. That's just a really nice regular season college football game number.

Regular season college baseball would draw nothing. It took the CWS to get even those ratings.
So get rid of every sport except football, basketball, and whatever women's sports satisfies title IX then. Because nothing else draws ratings that matter.

Any of you arguing against baseball by using viewership and profitability metrics need to explain to me how golf and cross country makes sense and baseball doesn't.

• Haha
Reactions: jctisu

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
1. CFB
2. MBB
3. WBB

seems 4 and 5 baseball and softball are both very close averaging around 2m viewers for their championship series

Even the volleyball championship got 1.7M in the middle of an NFL Sunday.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Final point and then I'll sign off for awhile:

It's really odd to me how some of you are vigorously fighting for less Cyclone teams to root for as opposed to more. If you don't like baseball, you don't need to watch it.

But many of us do enjoy the game and think it would be cool to have a team to root for. That's all I'm saying.

• Disagree
Reactions: jctisu

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

It's really odd to me how some of you are vigorously fighting for less Cyclone teams to root for as opposed to more. If you don't like baseball, you don't need to watch it.

But many of us do enjoy the game and think it would be cool to have a team to root for. That's all I'm saying.
I think a lot of people like myself would like to see more cash funnel into exisitng sports like football, basketball, volleyball, and etc instead of dividing the pie with even more hungry mouths. Hilton renovations are on hold because we don't have the money right now. We really need CyTown to work since we are depending on that for cash. Jaime has pointed this out a few times. the AD doesn't have some blank check to adopt sports on top of the fact if we add baseball we need to add more women's teams for title 9. Baseball isn't even the 3 highest grossing revenue college sport. It goes Football, Basketball, Hockey, then baseball. The amount of money we need to throw out there just to get to a point to play Div 1 baseball is high.

If we have to pause 25 million Hilton reno right now, what makes you say we can build a new stadium, hire support staff, create a coaching staff, etc all for the baseball team. I would guess bringing back baseball will cost more than 25 million. Oklahoma state's new stadium in 2018 cost 60 million dollars to build. Do we have a donor that will front the cost to build this?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Any idea what about an equivalent talent level is? I would suspect it is still pretty good. Unlike FB or BB, most D1 scholarships are partial and lots PWO. There are probably a lot of damn good baseball players that just end up hanging it up and going to school that might find this attractive.

I know a lot of college club women’s soccer teams can beat the actual club about 50 percent of the time. Not sure about baseball

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

No one is fighting for less Iowa State teams to root for. I love baseball but Iowa State bringing back a sport to lose 3+ million a year AND get its ass handed too it is bad business.

This isn't Big Ten baseball where everyone is at a weather disadvantage...

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So get rid of every sport except football, basketball, and whatever women's sports satisfies title IX then. Because nothing else draws ratings that matter.

Any of you arguing against baseball by using viewership and profitability metrics need to explain to me how golf and cross country makes sense and baseball doesn't.
That’s not the argument though. Those sports either satisfy title IX or have already been in existence and the combination meets title IX and NCAA/Big 12 requirements to participate in sports and in the conference.

None of those sports bring in money either but they are there and none of them would be added now unless it was absolutely necessary.

Having baseball would be kind of cool, but I am just being honest as to why it will never get added back. You don’t like the answer to the question you posed, don’t get upset and change the argument.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyballzz

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Northern schools can't complete in baseball. It's just not happening. They play year round down south. Plus we just don't have the funds. Not to mention we wouldn't have the NIL to compete in that world.
Cubs have a K-State pitcher in their rotation.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Then go root for the club team.

You know that Cytown and red bridge thingy?

If baseball were worth investing in, the ISU AD would have done it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
While baseball would be fun, I never understood why ISU as a northern school relatively speaking doesn't have D1 sanctioned hockey. Men's or women's. It is huge just an hour or two up the road, but zilch in the entire state of Iowa for whatever reason, where it is cold out literally 3/4 of the year.

Edit: Is Big 12 affiliation the biggest obstacle here? I imagine no other Big 12 schools have hockey as an NCAA sanctioned sport

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron