ISU baseball team

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
While baseball would be fun, I never understood why ISU as a northern school relatively speaking doesn't have D1 sanctioned hockey. Men's or women's. It is huge just an hour or two up the road, but zilch in the entire state of Iowa for whatever reason, where it is cold out literally 3/4 of the year.

Edit: Is Big 12 affiliation the biggest obstacle here? I imagine no other Big 12 schools have hockey as an NCAA sanctioned sport
Does anyone in the Big XII other than Colorado have hockey. Seems stranger Iowa doesn't have a team. My best guess it's hockey, baseball, wrestling. Hopefully at some point women's wrestling could free up some title IX for us to add another men's team sport.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Where are you going to play?

February - March you are on the road. April you are completely weather dependent.

Iowa baseball lost $2.6 million last year. On what planet is it in Iowa State's best interest financially to bring back a program that is going to lose every year?
FIFY

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Final point and then I'll sign off for awhile:

It's really odd to me how some of you are vigorously fighting for less Cyclone teams to root for as opposed to more. If you don't like baseball, you don't need to watch it.

But many of us do enjoy the game and think it would be cool to have a team to root for. That's all I'm saying.

No one went to the games when we did have it when I was in school.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
If I ever win the lottery I’ll lobby for JP to bring it back. As someone who played baseball at a small college, I would have done anything I could have to walk on/play at ISU if they had it.

I wish Iowa State had more men’s sports in general. It feels like (and I have no way of backing this up) in the grand scheme of things they really don’t offer a whole lot

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Where are you going to play?

February - March you are on the road. April you are completely weather dependent.

Iowa baseball lost $2.6 million last year. On what planet is it in Iowa State's best interest financially to bring back a program that is going to lose (most likely) more than that every year?
And I don’t think Iowa pays its coaches a lot and still loses a ton of money.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
While baseball would be fun, I never understood why ISU as a northern school relatively speaking doesn't have D1 sanctioned hockey. Men's or women's. It is huge just an hour or two up the road, but zilch in the entire state of Iowa for whatever reason, where it is cold out literally 3/4 of the year.

Edit: Is Big 12 affiliation the biggest obstacle here? I imagine no other Big 12 schools have hockey as an NCAA sanctioned sport
I think Arizona State has a D1 hockey program. Many of the D1 hockey programs are not D1 in other sports.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I think Arizona State has a D1 hockey program. Many of the D1 hockey programs are not D1 in other sports.
Correct, such is the case with a lot of the Minnesota schools. Iowa state would kill it in hockey imho. Unlike baseball, Iowa state sits next to the Texas of hockey (Minnesota) plus Ames sits closer to the twin cities than some of the Minnesota schools and UND. You can’t convince me that Iowa State doesn’t offer a better college life than other top 25 teams. Maine is a top 10 program. Even Omaha was 12th this year.

I was friends with the Ames hockey staff a few years ago and they told me that Iowa State had contingency plans for expanding the hockey garden in Ames and adding a practice rink.

I don’t think adding sports is likely but JP has plans for hockey if it ever happened. Plus it makes adding women scholarships easier since you can have women’s hockey.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Correct, such is the case with a lot of the Minnesota schools. Iowa state would kill it in hockey imho. Unlike baseball, Iowa state sits next to the Texas of hockey (Minnesota) plus Ames sits closer to the twin cities than some of the Minnesota schools and UND. You can’t convince me that Iowa State doesn’t offer a better college life than other top 25 teams. Maine is a top 10 program. Even Omaha was 12th this year.

I was friends with the Ames hockey staff a few years ago and they told me that Iowa State had contingency plans for expanding the hockey garden in Ames and adding a practice rink.

I don’t think adding sports is likely but JP has plans for hockey if it ever happened. Plus it makes adding women scholarships easier since you can have women’s hockey.
I think Hockey makes a lot more sense than Baseball. I doubt it would ever happen. Club hockey was a lot more attended than baseball when I was in school.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Most of the games I went to there were more people in the dugouts than in the stands.
I went to a couple each year, just to sit in the sun on beautiful spring days. Didn't even pay attention to the games but sun, girls (hopefully) and relaxation. Sign me up.

Help Support Us

Become a patron