ISU lands a QB Commitment

BigCycloneFan

May 15, 2006
East Coast
PAHusker makes some good points. Lebanon is not known for football (Reading area produced the latest strong quarterbacks from PA xPryor). I know some people from the area, and they believe that Lebanon was easily a sub.500 team without Capello. Word was also that PennSt. was showing strong interest, however had their 4* locked-up. Capello also would not have been a splashy enough signing for PSU who still needs the stars to make alums happy.

Regardless, he looks like a strong quarterback and a good risk. As we know, not every player (regardless of rating) turns out. At quarterback, I'll take a strong leader who works well in the system (think TTU) v. a 4* that has some flashy skills but does not command confidence from teammates. A chip on the shoulder from recruiting slights also helps.:smile:

Good signing.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Very happy to see a 3rd scholarship QB coming in next fall. He will provide a valuable contribution right away in terms of scout team practice preparation. This alone is worth one of the 85 scholarships on the team. Any additional contribution down the road will be a bonus.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Very happy to see a 3rd scholarship QB coming in next fall. He will provide a valuable contribution right away in terms of scout team practice preparation. This alone is worth one of the 85 scholarships on the team. Any additional contribution down the road will be a bonus.

We didn't need a scholarship QB for that....Buek would have been fine for that. (Those two will likely split reps as scout team QB anyways) However, like I posted earlier, Capello could easily fit in as exactly what Herman wants, as well as having time to develop.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
We didn't need a scholarship QB for that....Buek would have been fine for that. (Those two will likely split reps as scout team QB anyways) However, like I posted earlier, Capello could easily fit in as exactly what Herman wants, as well as having time to develop.

Nothing against Buek as I also appreciate what he brings to the table. I hope that PR can bring in at least one other walk-on QB this year. The more guys available to heave the ball in practice, the better the WR's can develop. Having a guy on scholarship increases the possibility that he will stick around. We've brought in other walk-on QB's the last 3 or 4 years, but most of them have either quit or transferred after 1-2 years on the team.

I also like Capello's experience with a spread offense when it comes to scout team work. We have to prepare against teams that run a spread so there is a need to simulate that in practice. The old Nebraska option teams used to bring in small town local kids with decent arms but almost no chance of running their own offense. They were able to throw different looks at the starting defense usually with the utilization of 3 scout teams to maximize practice reps.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would guess that some schools shyed away from this guy due to his lack of height. A lot of teams have succeeded in the spread attack with smaller QB's lately. I think he has good enough skills to do well in the Herman system and at least be the backup for a few years.

Isuhsfbcoach

Jan 26, 2009
Alden, Iowa
Size means less for a QB now in the spread. Does he have a good arm? Can you make good decisions? Can you make a pre-snap read and get the ball out on time. Plus, the spread has the ability to move guys around in the pocket because you have less guys on the LOS. We have to bring in a solid QB who can get bigger in the the weight room and someone who can run the scout team and hopefully push our 1st and 2nd string QB's in practice and in meetings. If Herman wanted him at Rice...we want him at ISU.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Size means less for a QB now in the spread. Does he have a good arm? Can you make good decisions? Can you make a pre-snap read and get the ball out on time. Plus, the spread has the ability to move guys around in the pocket because you have less guys on the LOS. We have to bring in a solid QB who can get bigger in the the weight room and someone who can run the scout team and hopefully push our 1st and 2nd string QB's in practice and in meetings. If Herman wanted him at Rice...we want him at ISU.

My thoughts exactly. Pro style offenses may have passed on this guy, but he is a system QB that should be able to flourish at ISU.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Rivals free also says this fellow has an offer:

Traveling to the Iowa State campus for his third Kohl’s Kicking Camp, Whitefish Bay (Wisc.) junior Will Hagerup wasn’t expecting much in the way of recruiting interest. So it’s safe to say he was blown away by the attention he would receive from the hometown Cyclones.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just by recent headlines, maybe the available recruiting pipeline to 25/26 has tightened and we are working on tier two. Any news on Marry?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just by recent headlines, maybe the available recruiting pipeline to 25/26 has tightened and we are working on tier two. Any news on Marry?
Well, that headline you just posted did refer to a junior, a '10 prospect, not a member of the current class, after all.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I would guess that some schools shyed away from this guy due to his lack of height. A lot of teams have succeeded in the spread attack with smaller QB's lately. I think he has good enough skills to do well in the Herman system and at least be the backup for a few years.

Like Seneca Wallace and Joe Ganz short?