ISU lands a QB Commitment

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
He does seem like a real find. I wonder why the lack of big time offers. I don't get it. He has the resume.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I love this pick up. I am happy to have him in the Cyclone family. No grade problems, a lot of nice honors. We should be really happy to get someone like this at this point in the recruiting.

Dec 19, 2008
Watching some of his highlight vids are getting me pretty excited about this guy. And the questioning of his GPA is rediculous! Like many have said before is that he may have just coasted through high school which quite a few kids do nowadays. But anyway does anyone know how many schollies we have left to give out?

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Was he injured his Senior year or something?

He broke his collarbone his sophomore year in the second game of the season and sat out the rest of the year. That is according to his own website. It does not mention anything about injuries during junior or senior season.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Lebanon is close to Harrisburg. Most of the QB's (Namath, Marino, Montana) are from the Pittsburgh area or the steel towns not too far from Pitt.

Well, they're all from Pennsylvania. . . . (grin)

Yeah, I was thinking the Pittsburgh region; wrong end of the state. Thanks for the information.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I can't remember the last time we got a kid from that part of the country. Good to see we're getting some recruits from some new areas.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
word on the street is that peyton manning cant even start his lawnmower or run the washing machine.
I once met a guy who didn't know how to run a lawnmower when he had a chance to help his new father-in-law. He was a high priced NYC attorney, and his family was so rich, he'd never had to touch a lawnmower or washing machine.

You guys are deriding a kid for having a solid B average?

Too bad more people didn't actually read the thread. One person (who is in high school himself) questioned the gpa, fifty people responded that gpa's are both subjective and meaningless.

Thank you Marv, a positive post!!!!:notworthy:

Most of them were--defending the kid's gpa.

I'm taking a wild guess that given CPR's former job at Pitt, when the kid didn't get the local offer he wanted, somebody Rhoads had ties to gave him a call, and sent some film. We needed another quarterback (who could be patient), he needed a schollie. Works for both of us.

Reactions: hiwhatis and Bobber

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
When i first read that we had him as a commitment i checked him out on ESPN recruiting. They had him evaluated as a 40 (No evaluation done). Now today, i see that they've evaluated his film and make some catchy remarks....

The last line is really what i like to see - it reminds me a lot of Reesing of KU - "he has those intangibles that you just can't coach".....

I like to hear that - natural leader. One thing i thought was interesting was in a local paper article - it said that ISU was not going to redshirt him.....Why???

With Arnaud, Tiller and Bueker, i would think they would redshirt him and give him some seperation from Tiller and Bueker.....

Oh by the way -
McHarague is rated a 75 and Capello is rated a 73 - not to bad for this stage of recruiting!!!!!

Here's the espn writeup....

James Capello Rankings, Grade, News, Stats - College Football Recruiting 2009 - ESPN

Reactions: ketelmeister

ilovetheclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 17, 2006
Ankeny, Ia
When i first read that we had him as a commitment i checked him out on ESPN recruiting. They had him evaluated as a 40 (No evaluation done). Now today, i see that they've evaluated his film and make some catchy remarks....

The last line is really what i like to see - it reminds me a lot of Reesing of KU - "he has those intangibles that you just can't coach".....

I like to hear that - natural leader. One thing i thought was interesting was in a local paper article - it said that ISU was not going to redshirt him.....Why???

With Arnaud, Tiller and Bueker, i would think they would redshirt him and give him some seperation from Tiller and Bueker.....

Oh by the way -
McHarague is rated a 75 and Capello is rated a 73 - not to bad for this stage of recruiting!!!!!

Here's the espn writeup....

James Capello Rankings, Grade, News, Stats - College Football Recruiting 2009 - ESPN

yeah i checked first thing this morning and no notes, now lo and behold we get an evaluation for him.

yay this means good things for us ....at least he isnt going to go down in evaluation

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Something is off with this guy. How is ISU his only D-1 offer? He was named the #1 senior QB in Penn. and the 22nd best senior QB in the country by MaxPreps. He got a lot of exposure and didn't get any offers. Something is off. Maybe he has attitude problems like Guiton or maybe he hasn't qualified yet.

Either way, I'm glad ISU got him. I just hope he shows up on campus.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Guiton

Speaking of him.. did he commit to Ohio State yet? I know they offered and he was really close.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I see they had him more of a Mid-Major recruit. Oh well, he's behind Tiller and Arnaud.

Seneca Wallace wasn't rated very high either...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I had 2.2 until I got my **** together and upped it to a 2.8 in high school. I went to ISU for four years and finished with above a 3.0, I think I made it just fine without doing outstanding in high school. The thing is some kids don't try in high school. That was my deal, I had no motivation until I was a junior. I just didn't really care. The thing that matters is will this guy make it in college. Lets judge him after he gets here, which looks like will be the case.
I never even got my stuff together in high school. I barely got my diploma since my school had a rule that you needed at least a 2.0 to get it (2.1). I was literally a bump on the log in the classroom.

Yeah, I think I graduated high school with a 2.7 or something. Honestly, high school was more of a social gathering for me than anything else. The classes were not very challenging and I really wasn't that motivated to do well. I was motivated enough to pass.

8 years later I was rolling through college full time with a 3.75 while working full time.
Then I went on to college, tried, and did this. Mine was a bit lower at the end though (3.6)

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Question as to why no local interest in Capello. Pitt went for a dual threat QB from Texas ( 3 * ). Penn State for a dual threat QB from Virginia ( 4 * ). Temple also for a dual threat QB from Virginia ( 3 * ). All 3 have good size and are fast on their feet. Most schools, when given the choice, will opt for a player with athletic ability and size ! Not to say smaller players can't be impact players,,,,,,,,,but the odds are longer.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Question as to why no local interest in Capello. Pitt went for a dual threat QB from Texas ( 3 * ). Penn State for a dual threat QB from Virginia ( 4 * ). Temple also for a dual threat QB from Virginia ( 3 * ). All 3 have good size and are fast on their feet. Most schools, when given the choice, will opt for a player with athletic ability and size ! Not to say smaller players can't be impact players,,,,,,,,,but the odds are longer.

That's true, but also a way to get guys who have real talent but didn't pass the "eye test." This late in recruiting, this is a great get I think.