Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
The Valley hadn't hosted a P6 since 2018 when UNI hosted Xavier and Illinois State hosted Ole Miss until this year when Oklahoma State played at Southern Illinois and the two NIT games at Indiana State.

Obviously no choice on the NIT games and the Oklahoma State-SIU game only happened because SIUs former coach now runs the collective at OSU.

Those games just flat don't happen anymore.
Yeah, looks like I stand corrected on that front, at least with the home and homes for the Valley in particular.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
do you know what MTE Drake and/or UNI are in 2024-25?
Not sure on Drake.

UNI is either going to the Cancun Challenge or SoCal Challenge. I've heard both from people that tend to know. My guess is Cancun as it's the minimum 5 years since we've been there.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
The Valley hadn't hosted a P6 since 2018 when UNI hosted Xavier and Illinois State hosted Ole Miss until this year when Oklahoma State played at Southern Illinois and the two NIT games at Indiana State.

Obviously no choice on the NIT games and the Oklahoma State-SIU game only happened because SIUs former coach now runs the collective at OSU.

Those games just flat don't happen anymore.

I could have sworn that Marcus Paige game was more recent then that but damn it was 2015... where does time freaking go?

Reactions: Cytown12

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Not sure on Drake.

UNI is either going to the Cancun Challenge or SoCal Challenge. I've heard both from people that tend to know. My guess is Cancun as it's the minimum 5 years since we've been there.
UNI has always gotten into solid MTEs

testament to their fan travel as much as their on court success

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Jake is still really respected nationally. He's got warts as all coaches do but UNI is never going to do better and he'll be in Cedar Falls until he decides he doesn't want to be.
How do you think Heise does at ISU? I really appreciated watching UNI down the stretch this year. Seemed to get better later as the year went on.

They play hard and are so similar to ISU in many ways, unsurprisingly. Except the whole being able to shoot part lol.

But he did stand out to me amongst the others as kind of a more athletic guy that made a lot of their more physical/hustle plays without the ball. Would you consider that accurate? (I only watched about 5 or so of their games in their entirety.)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A general question, seeing if I can phrase it correctly. If ISU did a home/away with a "tweener" league tier - AAC, A-10, MWC ... that would mean losing a "home cupcake" every other year. How does that balance financially, losing the home gate/budget/revenue?

I admit my knowledge of the specific $ for scheduling is beyond my realm of expertise.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
How do you think Heise does at ISU? I really appreciated watching UNI down the stretch this year. Seemed to get better later as the year went on.

They play hard and are so similar to ISU in many ways, unsurprisingly. Except the whole being able to shoot part lol.

But he did stand out to me amongst the others as kind of a more athletic guy that made a lot of their more physical/hustle plays without the ball. Would you consider that accurate? (I only watched about 5 or so of their games in their entirety.)
I think he's a big help in rebounding where Iowa State struggled at times last year. He's got great instincts and is athletic enough to get where he needs to be. He's also a high level defender, especially against long wings.

Offensively, I'm not sure he much more than a shooter in the Big 12 but he did flash the ability to use his upper body strength to get to his mid-range. Surprisingly, he struggled the most against smaller defenders and became too passive.

He's a great get. He's a 20-25 minute a night guy that is never, ever going to hurt you and fits right in to doing the little stuff that Iowa State does.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
A general question, seeing if I can phrase it correctly. If ISU did a home/away with a "tweener" league tier - AAC, A-10, MWC ... that would mean losing a "home cupcake" every other year. How does that balance financially, losing the home gate/budget/revenue?

I admit my knowledge of the specific $ for scheduling is beyond my realm of expertise.
In 99% of home and homes there's no money exchanged and each team keeps their home gate. You do lose one home date in the year you play on the road.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
In 99% of home and homes there's no money exchanged and each team keeps their home gate. You do lose one home date in the year you play on the road.
the non financial impact then comes weighing the value of
  • exposure on TV
  • recruiting
    • e.g. ISU playing a game in Wisconsin
  • NCAA tournament resume
  • rewarding players
    • e.g. Marcus Paige homecoming game

it should also be noted that ISU doesnt change the price of season tickets based on number of home games. we pay the same amount whether there's 17 or 18 or 19 games in Hilton

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Oh OK. I think I was mixing that up with Steve Prohm's return to Iowa lol!!

The point still stands. There's more, but I don't want to look them all up right now. You can include buy games too out of our price range but I'd rather not.

The real solution is home and homes with similar profile programs. Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin. But, ya know. There was that Missouri home and home with Porter Jr., but that's the only exception.
Probably going to be harder to schedule a home & home with the Big10 teams you mention. Would be surprised if Minnesota & Wisconsin want to give TJ much of a recruiting platform. The best chance was if they needed to fill seats- which they don't.

IMO the best chance for ISU to upgrade its non-con schedule are:
  1. If ISU is projected to be a Top 10-15 team, then ESPN or FOX might be open to invite the Clones to a made for TV one-day event.
  2. TJ & Jamie willing to pay more for buy games.
In regard to the second comment, I feel it is a must. Based on the returning roster, portal adds and incoming recruits it ceases to be a developmental schedule when ISU plays so many games against low NET teams.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I don't read much into the OCSOC the committee referenced. It was just a way to justify what the committee did. If ISU's out of conference schedule was rated higher, there would just have been some other reason. No real reason to rob the piggy bank or go on the road to try and improve it. Next year it'll be the eye test or something else similar.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
iirc it was mentioned cytown wouldnt pay property tax being a university owned property?
It will pay the equivalent of what it would owe in tax (payment in lieu of tax) to the city which goes into an improvement fund for the Iowa State Center.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It will pay the equivalent of what it would owe in tax (payment in lieu of tax) to the city which goes into an improvement fund for the Iowa State Center.

Any private business that leases from Cy-town will have to pay taxes on the lease.

Help Support Us

Become a patron