Jeff Johnson

CycoT

Sep 18, 2009
Ames
Hey Cyclone fans,

As many of you know, or noticed, Jeff Johnson did not lead cheers at the Iowa Game. This was not planned and there was space alloted for him between bands. The friday before Iowa vs. Iowa State he was admitted to the hospital with a serious stomach condition and still remains there. I heard this today at a college visit that included a tour of the Alumni Center.

I will try to recieve more info, until then, please keep JJ in your prayers.

Thanks, CycoT

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Hey Cyclone fans,

As many of you know, or noticed, Jeff Johnson did not lead cheers at the Iowa Game. This was not planned and there was space alloted for him between bands. The friday before Iowa vs. Iowa State he was admitted to the hospital with a serious stomach condition and still remains there. I heard this today at a college visit that included a tour of the Alumni Center.

Thanks, CycoT

He's a great guy.

CycoT

Sep 18, 2009
Ames
He's a great guy.
Yes, he really is. We went into the Alumni Center last year after it was completed and JJ was there and gave me and my family a personal tour of the facility. Besides his pregame antics, I have 101% respect for him.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Regardless of what various CFers feel about his pregame cheers, it's never good to hear of someone in the hospital, especially regarding such a lengthy stay. Get well thoughts and wishes to him.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hey Cyclone fans,

Thanks, CycoT

Great guy and a wonderful ambassador for ISU athletics, but I have to second the thought that we never see him leading cheers before a game again.

Nothing against him personally, it would be awful no matter who did it. It makes us look terrible that we need someone besides our own band and cheerleaders to get everyone pumped for a football game. It is the most embarrassing thing about ISU football.... besides not winning that is.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i've met Jeffrey a number of times, sat by him on the flight to Vegas last year, and that guy is a Cyclone all the way to the bone. He doesn't just talk it, he lives it. I wish him the best.

His cheers before the games may be a bit hokey, but he can get the crowd going with CYCLONE POWER

Get well soon JJ

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Great guy and a wonderful ambassador for ISU athletics, but I have to second the thought that we never see him leading cheers before a game again.

Nothing against him personally, it would be awful no matter who did it. It makes us look terrible that we need someone besides our own band and cheerleaders to get everyone pumped for a football game. It is the most embarrassing thing about ISU football.... besides not winning that is.

In the SEC, a large % of home team fans enter the stadium early to practice cheers. I'm talking 30,000 - 40,000. It does a lot for the atmosphere of the game and really shows up during the game when the crowd really participates in the cheers they have worked on.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
With respect to Jeff's privacy, my understanding is that he had surgery a few weeks ago and he is in the recovery stage. The healing is taking a while, but it sounds like he's going to be fine.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
In the SEC, a large % of home team fans enter the stadium early to practice cheers. I'm talking 30,000 - 40,000. It does a lot for the atmosphere of the game and really shows up during the game when the crowd really participates in the cheers they have worked on.

I would love to see this at ISU. It will be difficult to implement at ISU, given the importance placed on tailgating.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I would love to see this at ISU. It will be difficult to implement at ISU, given the importance placed on tailgating.

This excuse is so lame. If tailgating is so important that fans have to get to the game 5 minutes late, they should get to their tailgate 5 minutes earlier and be in the stadium at kickoff. It's not like tailgating isn't important at SEC schools.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And the fact that most people aren't even in the gates by kickoff let alone early enough to learn cheers.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
I wondered why I didn't see him a couple of weeks ago. He is a really good guy. People who make fun of his pre-game antics need to understand that is who he is. And they need to make an effort to stop by the Alumni Association building and talk with the man for a few minutes. He is truly one of the best!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

You are so rite jbhtexas...who wants to practice cheers inside the stadium when you can pracice drinking outside the stadium.