JP & ISU was first..

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Berta probably signed everyone at EIU to new 10 year extensions with big buyouts...but we will never know.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Most are waiting until the last minute to make salary adjustments...I'd expect at least June for the AD's see if the football season looks like it will be delayed or stay on schedule. If you believe Iowa, things are rosy and ready to go starting June 1st.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I saw that UI already had roughly a $200MM loss since the start of Covid. Just image if there is no football or fall semester, we might be bailing out universities.

Reactions: cyfanatic

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I saw that UI already had roughly a $200MM loss since the start of Covid. Just image if there is no football or fall semester, we might be bailing out universities.

Isn't mind boggling to consider that? These schools normally can't spend the money fast enough from what they rake in. Non profit status is a funny thing.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
According to the Register "Iowa State now projects $88 million in refunds and lost revenue and close to $1 million in new expenses through the end of August."

"Financial losses at the University of Iowa are expected to reach $76 million, and UNI expects $28 million in losses."

Iowa's public universities expect to lose $187 million as result of the coronavirus pandemic

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If I take the refund the kid got from ISU, roughly $2300; and consider that 11,000 kids live in the dorms (that is what the refunds were for) that equates to $25MM. I'm not sure what the other $60 million would be. I doubt there is that much summer school. I would also think that they would have some decent savings in food and utility costs and other things. I guess I don't understand where all the losses are coming from.

Reactions: dualforce

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
If I take the refund the kid got from ISU, roughly $2300; and consider that 11,000 kids live in the dorms (that is what the refunds were for) that equates to $25MM. I'm not sure what the other $60 million would be. I doubt there is that much summer school. I would also think that they would have some decent savings in food and utility costs and other things. I guess I don't understand where all the losses are coming from.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown but keep in mind ISU does a lot beside teaching the students on campus through conferences, veterinary services, athletics, government contracts, research grants, extension services, revenue from visitors, etc.

Iowa State's total operating budget is about $1.25B with $274M in state appropriations. Last year's revenues were $952M of which $373M was tuition. $227M of revenue is auxiliary enterprises which includes revenues generated by the Athletic Department, University Book Store, Iowa State Center, Memorial Union, Parking System, Recreation Services, Regulated Materials Handling Facility, Reiman Gardens, Residence Department, ISU Dining, Student Health Center, Telecommunications System, and Utility System. Iowa State pulls in about $174M in grants and contracts. Then $70M in sales and services of educational activities.

http://www.controller.iastate.edu/far/finreport19.pdf

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

You must've sprung for the top meal plan? Our refund was around $1,800.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What are tenants of private landlords doing? Did most just stay in town? Get a refund? Break their leases and dump the deposits?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It would be interesting to see the breakdown but keep in mind ISU does a lot beside teaching the students on campus through conferences, veterinary services, athletics, government contracts, research grants, extension services, revenue from visitors, etc.

Iowa State's total operating budget is about $1.25B with $274M in state appropriations. Last year's revenues were $952M of which $373M was tuition. $227M of revenue is auxiliary enterprises which includes revenues generated by the Athletic Department, University Book Store, Iowa State Center, Memorial Union, Parking System, Recreation Services, Regulated Materials Handling Facility, Reiman Gardens, Residence Department, ISU Dining, Student Health Center, Telecommunications System, and Utility System. Iowa State pulls in about $174M in grants and contracts. Then $70M in sales and services of educational activities.

http://www.controller.iastate.edu/far/finreport19.pdf

The athletic department is stand alone so that should not be factored in.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You must've sprung for the top meal plan? Our refund was around $1,800.
He had the 200 swipe one. For some reason his card must have not swiped well since it showed he at like 8 meals a week so he had a lot of swipes left.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
He had the 200 swipe one. For some reason his card must have not swiped well since it showed he at like 8 meals a week so he had a lot of swipes left.

Ah. We got daughter 1 the default meal plan for residence halls, she got a certain # of weekly meals at her sorority house, and she used a bunch of dining dollars to grab food at other places around campus, mostly the HUB.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
The athletic department is stand alone so that should not be factored in.

I think it probably includes both though. I think the $85 million is both general fund and restricted budget (the auxiliary units that receive no state funding) or what I think you mean by stand alone. The problem is everything is still run by ISU employees, has ISU maintenance, ISU services and utilities.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ah. We got daughter 1 the default meal plan for residence halls, she got a certain # of weekly meals at her sorority house, and she used a bunch of dining dollars to grab food at other places around campus, mostly the HUB.

The Hub is Mediterranean food now isn't it? I can't remember. It was just vending machines when I went to school.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The Hub is Mediterranean food now isn't it? I can't remember. It was just vending machines when I went to school.

Yeah I think so mainly, had a great grilled chicken bowl there on our last visit, but the other side is fancy/expensive coffee drinks and bagels/bagel sandwiches which is her thing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron