NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
images

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I love driving by at night but the guy does have a point. I’m on the fence on this one.
I’ve always wondered why they run the boards on the inside for no reason. Maybe their is a reason, maybe they aren’t on that often, but I live in Illinois and the 5 or so times I get to Ames to visit my daughter or other non game things, the boards are on.

The Bridge though, **** him, it’s the bridge. It should be brighter.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Reactions: dirtyninety

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
How the hell does “light pollution” from the stadium contribute to global warming? That can’t be a real concern.
I would think he’s talking about energy consumption? I don’t know enough about how the city and university produce power but would be interested to learn. I know Ames burns trash but is that “clean” or just a good alternative than more garbage in a landfill?

Reactions: Angie and ISUguy

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I would think he’s talking about energy consumption? I don’t know enough about how the city and university produce power but would be interested to learn.

Good for you for every word after "but". Light pollution is not just a pipe dream, and given that ISU is a science-oriented university, dude has a point.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Do the video boards actually run when nobody is there? If so that seems weird unless there’s a reason. The bridge lights are awesome though, just drove by last night.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Assuming it is the same Tim Stewart, it looks like Tim is a professor at ISU. He likely would have gotten more of an answer through networking rather than a 1 paragraph complaint in the Tribune.
He probably knows Jamie would have told him ever so politely to **** off.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Do the video boards actually run when nobody is there? If so that seems weird unless there’s a reason. The bridge lights are awesome though, just drove by last night.
Yes I often see it on. Most times I think there is an event at Sukup that I wasn’t invited to.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I will assume that they aren’t turning those lights on for ***** and giggles. Most times when fans are around this time of year, it’s for mbb and wbb games. Obviously they are going to turn them on for that. When recruits are on campus they will be on. They are not going to waste money for the hell of it.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I agree with the writer. Based on solely my observations lately when I've driven by in November, December and now January, "The Bridge" is lit up all night in Ames. It probably has 40 to 60 lights on the walking portion to light it up for pedestrians (perhaps more) and then it has the vibrant red lights in the two towers. It serves absolutely no purpose other than aesthetic. These lights use energy, which comes from burning fossil fuels (the City uses natural gas and also burns waste at the Resource Recovery Center). That's pollution that goes into the atmosphere which we all breathe. I'm not going to write a mini-novel on this message board to educate some of you guys on greenhouse gases, and the fact that we've also continued to lose the natural systems such as rainforests in Brazil or central Africa, that stabilize weather patterns and suck up CO2, provide biodiversity, etc., but this kind of behavior when the University professes (at least some within the University) to care about our footprint on this planet and what we're leaving to our children, is very wasteful. It's sad to see new projects like this be so wasteful and on all the time at night at a time when we know about the continuing build up of CO2 and other harmful gases on this planet that threaten our atmosphere and life itself. There's also a ton of light wasted and coming from the new athletic performance center, too. I'm talking about 2 am in the morning when nobody is reasonably in there (at least the one time I drove by late at night) where they have these video boards and other lights running all night. He's also right about the science behind light pollution confusing and disorienting birds. That's a risk and could not saying it will, but could , lead to unnecessary bird deaths. It would be one thing to me if the Bridge served a utility and purpose that was functional, but as far as I can tell there are no people walking the Bridge at night and it is entirely aesthetic. As someone who despises waste and inefficiency, that's sad to me.

As an Ames resident, I hope the AD tones this bridge's lighting down as well. That's coming from a Cyclone fan who enjoys the look and aesthetic of the Bridge / lighting, thinks they did a great job, is a contributing season ticket holder, ISU alum but also thinks we should do better. Sure, have it on on gamedays, special occasions, etc. because people now enjoy it, but it should be on a fraction of the amount of time it is on right now. That's the responsible thing to do.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I will assume that they aren’t turning those lights on for ***** and giggles. Most times when fans are around this time of year, it’s for mbb and wbb games. Obviously they are going to turn them on for that. When recruits are on campus they will be on. They are not going to waste money for the hell of it.
It could be necessary for the equipment or for recruits. Either way I think it is a legit question that should be answered.

I do feel sometimes that the AD could give reason to a lot of decisions they’ve made. For instance pushing back the students at Hilton. Just say the new donor seat are generating x amount of dollars a year and people will live with it. We may not like it or agree but at least we know.