Just for Fun - Are we still BCS bowl eligible?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
IF (not likely) we win out, wouldn't we most likely be tied for first in the north? Then, wouldn't we have the head to head tie breaker with everyone but NU? If so, isn't it possible that we would make the Big 12 title game? Maybe a rematch with OU?

If all of that held true, I think we could be the first team ever to not be eligible for any bowl but a bcs bowl. Now THAT would get people screaming for a playoff system!

I know it is just a pipedream, but it's fun to speculate.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
It's too bad Mizzou is really good because 3 of the last 4 our winnable games.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Hell, play like we did Saturday and anything can happen. Mizzou is just plain tough and I think they will have their way with Kansas.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Being that I think you can officially have no worse a record than 9-3 and have to have a high enough BCS ranking to qualify for the BCS, and that the most # of wins we can get on the season now is 5, and we'll never hit that appropriate BCS ranking, I'm pretty sure you can rule us out now.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Being that I think you can officially have no worse a record than 9-3 and have to have a high enough BCS ranking to qualify for the BCS, and that the most # of wins we can get on the season now is 5, and we'll never hit that appropriate BCS ranking, I'm pretty sure you can rule us out now.

How would that work? I'm going going to take the time to figure out if it's plausible for us to make the BigXII championship game. But presuming we could.

We would go to that game at best 5-7. We would have to win, so we'd be 6-7, giving us a losing record and in any other situation, we'd be ineligible for a bowl.

However, as the Big XII champion, wouldn't we be an automatic for the Fiesta? I don't think the BCS comes into play for the 6 conference chapions, just the "at larges". How would that work? Ineligible but conf champion.

Dear God - how funny would that be?

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Maybe I'm just a realist, but I don't see where another win comes on our schedule. Yes, we played great and finally showed some heart against OU, but the problem is that we don't know how to finish games. Mizzou is going to be rough, Kansas has been playing some great football, they will score a lot of points. If we DO win another game, it'll be against K-State or Colorado, and it'll be a squeaker, we will not have our way with anyone this season.

That said, all I ask them to do is go play hard and get better every week, aside from that I don't see much this season.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Maybe I'm just a realist, but I don't see where another win comes on our schedule. Yes, we played great and finally showed some heart against OU, but the problem is that we don't know how to finish games. Mizzou is going to be rough, Kansas has been playing some great football, they will score a lot of points. If we DO win another game, it'll be against K-State or Colorado, and it'll be a squeaker, we will not have our way with anyone this season.

That said, all I ask them to do is go play hard and get better every week, aside from that I don't see much this season.

You're missing the point. We're talking fantasy, not reality. We're going "hawkeye" mode baby!

Tempe here we come!

Wooo hooooo!!!:biggrin:

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Well in that case my prediction is as follows. Seneca Wallace finds out he has another year of eligibility. He pulls double time, playing on saturdays and sundays, single handedly wins the 4 remaining games for the cyclones and we're bowl bound! Go Cyclones!:yes:

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
We already have 4 conference loses. Isn't your standing in the North division determined by conference wins not just division wins?

So unless Kansas and Missouri have a severe meltdown, NOT POSSIBLE.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
Here's one scenario:

Iowa State
@ Missouri - W
Kansas State - W
Colorado - W
@ Kansas - W

Missouri
Iowa State - L
@ Colorado - L
Texas A&M - L
@ K-State - W
Kansas - W

Kansas
@ Texas A&M - L
Nebraska - W
@ Okie State - L
Iowa State - L
Missouri - L

Kansas State
Baylor - W
@ Iowa State - L
@ Nebraska - W
Missouri - L

Colorado
@ Texas Tech - L
Missouri - W
@ Iowa State - L
Nebraska - W

Nebraska
@ Texas - L
@ Kansas - L
Kansas State - L
@ Colorado - L

If this happened, there would be a 5-way tie between everybody in the North besides Nebraska. The Cyclones would win the head to head tiebreaker over all the other teams in the tie. Obviously this isn't going to happen but it's kind of funny to look at.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
If that seriously happened, do you have any idea how insane everyone around our football program would be going? I know it's jokingly, but man would that be funny.

I don't see us winning out though, as well as our defense played last sat and how much heart we played with...our offense is still basically inept, especially in the redzone. We are not good at pulling away or staying ahead. We can play WITH teams, but we just don't have the pieces to BEAT them yet.

If that crazy *** scenario worked out, you can see me at the big XII championship!!!

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Here's one scenario:

Iowa State
@ Missouri - W
Kansas State - W
Colorado - W
@ Kansas - W

Good work. I never would've guessed that we weren't eliminated by now. The probability is roughly .00003% of happening but that's still a great find.