K-State WBB takes down Baylor ...

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Kim, it's rumored, was upset that Baylor didn't build their new basketball arena on campus. She felt her views weren't being considered appropriately. She got sideways with their A.D, Mark Rhodes, and ended up at LSU. Regardless of the enterprise, in the end, it's always about people relationships, isn't it.
Surly is Ky Thomas going to end up at KSU? Best high school ever RB that plays at MN

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Surly is Ky Thomas going to end up at KSU? Best high school ever RB that plays at MN

If he comes to K-State, he plays second-fiddle to Deuce. So, I doubt it.

There are ~3000 players in the portal. I expect 10 - half the incoming class - will be donning purple next fall. Klieman is embracing the portal as a key to building the program. This reminds me of Bill Snyder's juco tactics.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
If he comes to K-State, he plays second-fiddle to Deuce. So, I doubt it.

There are ~3000 players in the portal. I expect 10 - half the incoming class - will be donning purple next fall. Klieman is embracing the portal as a key to building the program. This reminds me of Bill Snyder's juco tactics.
Development of HS players must not be going as planned.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Development of HS players must not be going as planned.
It is very hard to recruit against programs like UGA, Texas, Bama, USC for four and five-star guys. Development gets dudes like Jordy Nelson, Darren Sproles, and Deuce Vaughn, sure. But it took JUCO Michael Bishop to get K-State to #1 and transfers like Arthur Brown to do the same later on.

So, development will continue. I mean Felix Anudike-Uzomah and Kalid Duke are going to be a pretty nasty set of defensive ends next fall.

But there's just not enough of those former two and three-stars that have the aptitude to get to the NFL level. It takes a blend. So, the portal is a logical pool for K-State. So far, they have two, four-star QB and four-star linebacker in the fold. Eight more to go.

NFL_Update.jpg

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In a year or two she will have LSU absolutely rolling...

Maybe happening faster than I thought. 100% convinced she will turn LSU into an elite level program. Somewhat surprised she has managed to beat three ranked teams already and it's only the first week of January. SEC teams will be battle tested by March.

Would be watching them versus #1 South Carolina on the 6th if it was not relegated to SEC+ TV. That game in Baton Rouge might be really good.

Man, SEC WBB is going to be just crazy deep after they add Texas and OU. Might start next season with seven teams or more ranked. Big 12 will likely have only two (assuming TX/OU are gone).

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
It is very hard to recruit against programs like UGA, Texas, Bama, USC for four and five-star guys. Development gets dudes like Jordy Nelson, Darren Sproles, and Deuce Vaughn, sure. But it took JUCO Michael Bishop to get K-State to #1 and transfers like Arthur Brown to do the same later on.

So, development will continue. I mean Felix Anudike-Uzomah and Kalid Duke are going to be a pretty nasty set of defensive ends next fall.

But there's just not enough of those former two and three-stars that have the aptitude to get to the NFL level. It takes a blend. So, the portal is a logical pool for K-State. So far, they have two, four-star QB and four-star linebacker in the fold. Eight more to go.

NFL_Update.jpg
Is Khalid Duke going to be “nasty”? He wasn’t “nasty” when healthy. The other DE is good.

Martinez is a former high school 4 star, not sure anyone would consider him a 4 star transfer.

Just saying, 10 transfers is a lot (even KU might not have that many). Must be desperate for help in some areas… otherwise, why bring someone in to replace players who have put in work to see the field for 2-3 years.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Is Khalid Duke going to be “nasty”? He wasn’t “nasty” when healthy. The other DE is good.

Martinez is a former high school 4 star, not sure anyone would consider him a 4 star transfer.

Just saying, 10 transfers is a lot (even KU might not have that many). Must be desperate for help in some areas… otherwise, why bring someone in to replace players who have put in work to see the field for 2-3 years.

You're seriously wrong about Duke and in my unobjective view AMart. But time will tell on both. That written, I was giving you the rationale for K-State going to the portal. The incoming linebacker by the way is a freshman transfer, not a senior. K-State had five portal starters last season.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
You're seriously wrong about Duke and in my unobjective view AMart. But time will tell on both. That written, I was giving you the rationale for K-State going to the portal. The incoming linebacker by the way is a freshman transfer, not a senior. K-State had five portal starters last season.
Duke is decent. 39 career tackles, 8 TFL, 5 sacks in 15 games doesn’t scream “nasty”.

I’m not arguing that the portal hasn’t worked for K-State, just saying 10 incoming portal players probably says a lot about the HS development they are getting. You shouldn’t need that many in year 4 of a coach.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Duke is decent. 39 career tackles, 8 TFL, 5 sacks in 15 games doesn’t scream “nasty”.

I’m not arguing that the portal hasn’t worked for K-State, just saying 10 incoming portal players probably says a lot about the HS development they are getting. You shouldn’t need that many in year 4 of a coach.

It's not need, it's strategic. Bring in a freshman high school youngster without experience, or a sophomore All-American at linebacker? I believe it makes perfect sense for K-State, perhaps not Texas or USC, but here, it is a good recruiting strategy.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
It's not need, it's strategic. Bring in a freshman high school youngster without experience, or a sophomore All-American at linebacker? I believe it makes perfect sense for K-State, perhaps not Texas or USC, but here, it is a good recruiting strategy.
It’s strategic because it’s a need.