Kansas two week prep for ISU

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I really only like to look forward to one game at a time but was looking at kansas's schedule they have a bye this week and then face us in Lawerence. Like they need more of an advantage when we play them.

Beat KSU

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Farmageddon was a no brainer. Win it and we can afford to lose to the predicted winner of the North. It's a psuedo bowl game in a year where will we qualify for a lower tier bowl. Yeah...I said it. Kudos to Pollard.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I really only like to look forward to one game at a time but was looking at kansas's schedule they have a bye this week and then face us in Lawerence. Like they need more of an advantage when we play them.

Beat KSU

Bye weeks do not always assure better performance. A lot of teams struggle getting back into game speed. That being said we still will have more than our hands full at KU.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Farmageddon was a no brainer. Win it and we can afford to lose to the predicted winner of the North. It's a psuedo bowl game in a year where will we qualify for a lower tier bowl. Yeah...I said it. Kudos to Pollard.

I agree its the best thing good ol' Jamie has ever done....Now get down to Kansas City and BUY TICKETS to the game and enjoy our win over the mildcatties of manhattan!!!!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
A bye week would have been very nice to get ARob 100%.

That said...you have to take the money and do the Arrowhead game.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Farmageddon costs ISU a bye week and a home game this season.

That's one way to look at it. A very narrow-minded way.

IMO, bye weeks on a 12 game schedule are overrated. Especially when you've got a team with momentum. Unless you're banged up, I think they're usefulness is overstated.

As far as costing us a home game, look at the '10 schedule and let me know the impact there. Or, take a peek at the financial package for this.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
How does the Arrowhead game cost us a bye week? Weren't we scheduled to play the KSU game this weekend anyway, even if it was in Ames?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
How does the Arrowhead game cost us a bye week? Weren't we scheduled to play the KSU game this weekend anyway, even if it was in Ames?

I think you're right. ISU hasn't had a bye week in years. That has to end.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Why? We have a confident football team right now. Get them on the field as quick as you can and keep their heads in it. If you can't figure something out in a week, 2 weeks isn't going to help you.

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
Yes, because everyone shows up in Ames the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a football game.:jimlad:
Bad idea for a game that weekend. No students, fans are traveling (or shopping) and it's usually cold as (well you know).

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Think of Farmageddon from a recruit's standpoint, only a few can say they've played in an NFL stadium

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle

The KSU game has been among ISU's last 4 games every year since 2000. I stopped looking once I got that far back in time. My intuition tells me that this game was moved up in order to make it work in KC.

You can't tell me that the coaches wouldn't like a bye week to rest up for KU. ARob is going to have to play on his injury this weekend. Meanwhile, Jake Sharp rests his. ISU is busy prepping for KSU and their run-happy, pass-challenged offense, while Todd Reesing, Kerry Meier, Dezmon Briscoe are prepared to bomb it out, and KU's defense has had a whole extra week to study up on ISU.

I'm definitely not sold on the whole Arrowhead thing yet. I'll probably have a better opinion of it after I see the attendance and atmosphere at the game. Judging by the way the ADs are begging people to buy tickets (I have received phone calls from both schools), it could end up not looking so hot. And, ideally, you'd like to have games against teams of similar strength at home, not move the game closer to your opponent's fan base.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The KSU game has been among ISU's last 4 games every year since 2000. I stopped looking once I got that far back in time. My intuition tells me that this game was moved up in order to make it work in KC.
Which, when you're guaranteed $3.6 million dollars over 2 years, isn't a bad move at all. We probably would've made more off a home game this year, but we'da made nothing next year.

ISU is busy prepping for KSU and their run-happy, pass-challenged offense, while Todd Reesing, Kerry Meier, Dezmon Briscoe are prepared to bomb it out, and KU's defense has had a whole extra week to study up on ISU.
If you can't figure out an offense or their game plan in a week, an extra week isn't going to matter.

I'm definitely not sold on the whole Arrowhead thing yet. I'll probably have a better opinion of it after I see the attendance and atmosphere at the game. Judging by the way the ADs are begging people to buy tickets, it could end up not looking so hot. And, ideally, you'd like to have games against teams of similar strength at home, not move the game closer to your opponent's fan base.
$$$$$$.

Additionally, you took a road game off the schedule next year. A place Iowa State hasn't won in the Big 12 Conference in 4 years. You have guaranteed revenue for two years, and you still have 6 home games each season with 5 on the road and 1 nuetral. I'm sorry, but I don't buy the closer to your opponents fan base. Kansas City is 3 hours from Ames. That's not very far. People want to play a game in Minneapolis against the Gophers which is 3 hours, but can't play a game in Kansas City which is 3 hours the other direction? 2 hours from Manhatten vs. 3 from Ames is not a difference.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
KU had two weeks to prepare for last years game against you guys. They played the flattest first half of football I've ever seen from a Mangino team. So I'm not sure that extra week really helps anything.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
...and will earn ISU $1.8 Million

This.

Playing for the guaranteed $$, on TV, in a great ISU city like KC is an absolute no brainer.

I seriously doubt our odds to beat KU on the road have significantly changed since they do not play this weekend.:biglaugh: