Kayden Fish will return, fills Iowa State's 13th scholarship spot

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Welcome back Kayden!

I thought he had some game, though a small sample size. Then it was cut short by the shoulder injury. I hope his shoulder is healing well! Injury and surgery is never fun. Fish can be a nice player.

Reactions: Ankency and CYDJ

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
A redshirt would make sense. Jefferson has 2 years, Jackson has 2 years, Watson has 2 years. Rock has 4. If everyone sticks around it's going to take a commitment that isn't seen now a days.
I have my doubts on whether he'd want to go medical redshirt-redshirt to preserve yet another year. My guess is that he'll compete and take any minutes that he can get, and then make another decision as to his prospects.

This is really the best case scenario for that last scholarship. IIRC, he was off the bench earlier than I expected in games last year before the injury, so clearly the staff likes his potential. Hope he stays with us long term.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Hoping for a 13 man rotation so all these guys are playing
That's not going to happen. Realistically we are looking at 10, Fish and the 2 freshman are likely not seeing the floor much. If Pierce or Nojus are good enough to demand minutes that likely means one of Heise, Chatfield, or Rock isn't playing much.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I mentioned a while back that a few ISU fans were lucky enough to sit by Kayden's mother and some of his family and support group at the 2nd game in Omaha. They were really very nice and open about his and their high regard for the staff and program. When I heard of his venture into the portal, I felt like it must have been a very hard decision for him to check out other opportunities.

However, in this day and age, these young men must do what is best for them. Becuase, in general, I think the system has changed to allow EVERYONE to do what is best for them. There are no commitments, no long term assumptions, just give me what I want / need now and we'll talk about next semester at the end of this one. Whether that is what we want or not, that is what we have.

Kayden making the decision to come back is a nice sign that he checked out what might be better for him in the big world of NCAA basketball and found the place that fit best was ISU. I think that says a lot about ISU AND Kayden (and maybe his family.)

Welcome back Mr. Fish, I hope your experience at ISU meets your long term goals for this point in your life.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I mentioned a while back that a few ISU fans were lucky enough to sit by Kayden's mother and some of his family and support group at the 2nd game in Omaha. They were really very nice and open about his and their high regard for the staff and program. When I heard of his venture into the portal, I felt like it must have been a very hard decision for him to check out other opportunities.

However, in this day and age, these young men must do what is best for them. Becuase, in general, I think the system has changed to allow EVERYONE to do what is best for them. There are no commitments, no long term assumptions, just give me what I want / need now and we'll talk about next semester at the end of this one. Whether that is what we want or not, that is what we have.

Kayden making the decision to come back is a nice sign that he checked out what might be better for him in the big world of NCAA basketball and found the place that fit best was ISU. I think that says a lot about ISU AND Kayden (and maybe his family.)

Welcome back Mr. Fish, I hope your experience at ISU meets your long term goals for this point in your life.

Kind of a 'there's nowhere else like this' baked in recruiting tool.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I have my doubts on whether he'd want to go medical redshirt-redshirt to preserve yet another year. My guess is that he'll compete and take any minutes that he can get, and then make another decision as to his prospects.

This is really the best case scenario for that last scholarship. IIRC, he was off the bench earlier than I expected in games last year before the injury, so clearly the staff likes his potential. Hope he stays with us long term.
Agree. 2 years off...too much.
Not to mention that if he does transfer, after next season, teams will want to know what he's capable of.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Agree. 2 years off...too much.
Not to mention that if he does transfer, after next season, teams will want to know what he's capable of.

Sure, if he’s a rotation player

But being the 12th guy and getting 50 minutes on the season isn’t really playing or helping teams know what he’s capable of. It’s just burning a year that later on would make him money

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I think the best part about it is the staff obviously saw enough to want him back. They must think something is there.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

But being the 12th guy and getting 50 minutes on the season isn’t really playing or helping teams know what he’s capable of. It’s just burning a year that later on would make him money
If he came back to redshirt I think he made a mistake. He may very well do that but I don't think it's a sound decision. Jmo.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
That's not going to happen. Realistically we are looking at 10, Fish and the 2 freshman are likely not seeing the floor much. If Pierce or Nojus are good enough to demand minutes that likely means one of Heise, Chatfield, or Rock isn't playing much.
My thought is Nojus is going to get minutes. He seems like he is going to come in ready. Not sure about Pierce. Seems like at Iowa State we always have a guy that exceeds what we thought and someone who is not as good as we thought.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Disagree. I think we actually go 14 deep with Kelderman as a bench gunner

Reactions: DrClone

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

Good point to consider. If he develops where he is getting NIL (above basic I assume every player gets), then the "saved" year could earn him some extra bucks four years in the future before he moves on from college.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If he came back to redshirt I think he made a mistake. He may very well do that but I don't think it's a sound decision. Jmo.
I doubt he did. With missing on Hadley, there’s an opening for minutes behind Jefferson. Watson and Fish will have an opportunity

But if he ends up being the odd man out, redshirting has its benefits

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I'm going out on a limb and say this was meant to be funny. Some of you have no since of himor.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron