Kelvin Sampson post game

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
His perspective on the fan base really opens my eyes (especially since he has experience coaching all around the country).

Call me crazy, but I think the NIL era could see the Big 12 emerge in bball like the SEC has in football - we have so many programs (us, KU, Okie state, K state, etc) with a passionate fan base, middling history in cfb, and no serious competition for fandom from local pro teams. College bball is the biggest game in town for us and for basically the whole conference. I love it!
Big 12 has already done that. Don’t listen to ESPN.

Reactions: CycloneVet

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Since 2006, SEC has won 13 of 17 national championships.

Big 12 has clearly emerged as the top mbb conference in the last couple years, but maintaining that is not easy.

I think it has been by the metrics the last 5 or so and the road to a national title in basketball is so much more random.

The SEC has been a big deal in football for a long time so I'm not sure if it's worth comparing.

• Agree
Reactions: clonechemist

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Always been a big Kelvin Sampson fan. I was hoping we'd hire his son Kellen with our last hire. Obviously thrilled with the how things have worked out with TJ and I think Houston will be a power for many years to come if/when Kellen takes over for Kelvin.

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
Was going to post this if no one else. Was so surprised to see everyone saying how he is a class act after the pouting fit he had after they lost in Hilton. And he only wanted to talk about how his players lost the game; not how ISU won it. 2 postgame losses to ISU this season for him and those postgames couldn't be more opposite.
His message in Ames was directed to his team. He wanted them to know they played bad and not crack his teams armor. It worked and they won the league. Give him the credit he is due. The loser in this situation is Indiana. How dumb are they to let him go?

Reactions: riceville98

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Compare today's Kelvin Sampson postgame after a 28 pt loss in Hilton South when Houston was ranked #1
with
Kelvin Sampson's postgame after a 4 pt loss in Hilton on 1/9/24 when Houston was ranked #2

The first game Houston lost in the last few seconds of the game for their first loss of the season, any coach would be upset and disappointed in that. Last night Sampson knew it was over after ISU came out and hit their first three shots of the 2nd half to push out the lead to 15 or so. I saw on their website that Houston decided at half that they were no longer going to play the kid with shin bruise the 2nd half. Sampson threw in the towel with 10 minutes left, he knew that they were not catching ISU at that point, so he had resigned himself to that fact and was very generous at his press conference. The guy has been around a long time, and by now he knows at times you just have to take the loss and move on, a fact a coach like Tang needs to learn.