Kim Mulkey

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
It’s been all the news lately. Mulkey has fired off threats of lawsuits. It’s the Washington Post story on Mulkey. Guess what…it’s actually one of the best stories I’ve read providing background on a coach. Definitely worth the read in my opinion. Here’s the link.

Read the story earlier. Good work but an earlier story on Summit in SI may have been the finest piece of sports journalism I have ever read. Lots of shared characteristics with these two coaches.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We already have a thread started in the General College Sports forum last week on this article.

Also one in Cave for those into a less moderated "discussion".

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The theme I got was everything she gets involved with eventually breaks down and becomes worthless.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Yup, another one of them uppity wimmins who needs to be put in her place, amirite?

Such an artful touch as well to drag in the dirty laundry of her family members. That alone proves she is "no good". Also great move to start out with an unflattering photo of her.

Here's another take on the story. Bottom line is that she knows how to play D.

"The lengths he has gone to try to put a hit piece together," Mulkey said of Babb, whom she did not mention by name. "After two years of trying to get me to sit with him for an interview, he contacts LSU on Tuesday as we were getting ready for the first-round game of this tournament with more than a dozen questions, demanding a response by Thursday, right before we're scheduled to tip off. Are you kidding me?

"This was a ridiculous deadline that LSU and I could not possibly meet, and the reporter knew it. It was just an attempt to prevent me from commenting and an attempt to distract us from this tournament. It ain't going to work, buddy."

Mulkey, 61, said she told Babb two years ago that he would never get to interview her because "I didn't appreciate the hit job he wrote on Brian Kelly," the LSU football head coach.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Yup, another one of them uppity wimmins who needs to be put in her place, amirite?

Such an artful touch as well to drag in the dirty laundry of her family members. That alone proves she is "no good". Also great move to start out with an unflattering photo of her.

Here's another take on the story. Bottom line is that she knows how to play D.

"The lengths he has gone to try to put a hit piece together," Mulkey said of Babb, whom she did not mention by name. "After two years of trying to get me to sit with him for an interview, he contacts LSU on Tuesday as we were getting ready for the first-round game of this tournament with more than a dozen questions, demanding a response by Thursday, right before we're scheduled to tip off. Are you kidding me?

"This was a ridiculous deadline that LSU and I could not possibly meet, and the reporter knew it. It was just an attempt to prevent me from commenting and an attempt to distract us from this tournament. It ain't going to work, buddy."

Mulkey, 61, said she told Babb two years ago that he would never get to interview her because "I didn't appreciate the hit job he wrote on Brian Kelly," the LSU football head coach.

This is a ridiculously bad take. The writer didn't write a hit piece on Brian Kelly. Mulkey just has thin skin, an unhealthy paranoia about media, and an ego the size of Alaska.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
This is a ridiculously bad take. The writer didn't write a hit piece on Brian Kelly. Mulkey just has thin skin, an unhealthy paranoia about media, and an ego the size of Alaska.

Yes, because there are no other coaches in the NCAA with thin skins. [roll eyes skyward]

The point is, and I repeat, women are easy targets.

As for not being a hit piece, I wonder.

Difficult to miss that the same author [cue sad violin music] writes a soap opera-worthy bit of dreck contrasts a poverty-stricken athlete with the evilly well-paid coach, as if that were mean old Kelly's fault, and as if he were the only coach to receive millions while his/her/their players were scraping by.

Hmm. How much does Kent Babb get paid while plenty of great writers here on CF do that for free?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Honestly, had Muleky not gone off last week, this article may of made me respect her a little.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m not sure how you can read that story and view it as a "hit piece." I thought it was an intriguing story that provided a great deal of insight into what drives her to be the way she is.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
I’m not sure how you can read that story and view it as a "hit piece." I thought it was an intriguing story that provided a great deal of insight into what drives her to be the way she is.
Hopefully it drives her to put a 40 point beatdown on the Hawkeyes tomorrow night.

Reactions: Acylum

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

I could "dumb" your comment as you did mine, but that's a classless thing to do.

Just as classless as dragging in dirt about a person's family and smearing it across something that calls itself a newspaper.

Barf.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The stuff he’s saying can often be true, but Mulkey is simultaneously a weird and disrespectful person to say the least.
It's just strange to me to try and treat it like it's an attack on women when she is someone who has participated in covering up rape and demanded her own players closet their sexuality. She deserves everything she has coming at her.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I could "dumb" your comment as you did mine, but that's a classless thing to do.

Just as classless as dragging in dirt about a person's family and smearing it across something that calls itself a newspaper.

Barf.
Perhaps if you thought through your response?

Dirt? Or reality? The reality made Mulkey who she is today. Life isn’t all roses and candy. There are some farts along the way.