Lanning on ESPN this morning

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
SIAP, but I walked by a TV this morning and saw that Lanning was being interview. I didn't have time to watch/listen. I love all the publicity of for ISU and Lanning deserves the recognition. However, a part of me if hoping all of this isn't a distraction leading into the KU game.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
SIAP, but I walked by a TV this morning and saw that Lanning was being interview. I didn't have time to watch/listen. I love all the publicity of for ISU and Lanning deserves the recognition. However, a part of me if hoping all of this isn't a distraction leading into the KU game.

There's going to be a hangover of some sort against KU, as you simply can't go through something like that and all the attention it garners without it affecting the team, staff and players in some way, but I feel good that our kids and staff have their heads in the right place (as right as it can be after accomplishing a once-in-a-decade type win).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

It's cool for the program to get some positive national press.

As to the potential for distraction, I think Campbell is on top of it. Last night on KXNO he mentioned his players having to overcome adversity, and that success is another form of adversity. I'm guessing priority one all this week is going to be keeping the team grounded and focused on proving they can handle being a sucessful program. Losing to KU at home undoes all the progress made in the OU win. Gotta have it so that the momentum keeps building and winning becomes the norm and not a pleasant surprise or an upset.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I bet handling the "adversity of success" is a major talking point this week. I would be surprised if there is a hangover.

Yeah, I doubt there'll be a hangover but I do think that they'll get KU's best shot early. It takes a while for perception of a program to change. Even if they're wrong, they're probably still looking at this game as their best or second best chance at notching a conference win.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I get the worries of a hangover but I have a feeling that the OU game is going to serve as a springboard for the squad and they are going to come out with a purpose against KU.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
There's going to be a hangover of some sort against KU, as you simply can't go through something like that and all the attention it garners without it affecting the team, staff and players in some way, but I feel good that our kids and staff have their heads in the right place (as right as it can be after accomplishing a once-in-a-decade type win).

Once in a decade?

Agreed, there will be a hangover and a slow start. Just the nature of the beast, but they'll overcome it for the win.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Do we have an admin position that deals with scheduling this kind of stuff? Like an assistant to the HC? Surely ESPN isnt calling Joel and Jim Rome's people didnt call CMC directly right? If we do have such a person, at the very least they know how to schedule things around practice, meetings, classes, etc. Distraction still but at least its taking time away from something they deem expendable.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Once in a decade?

Agreed, there will be a hangover and a slow start. Just the nature of the beast, but they'll overcome it for the win.

Once in a decade as far as college football in general is concerned. That's kind of how I would categorize the size of the upset. As far as ISU football specifically, it was probably the biggest win ever.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Do we have an admin position that deals with scheduling this kind of stuff? Like an assistant the HC? Surely ESPN isnt calling Joel and Jim Rome's people didnt call CMC directly right? If we do have such a person, at the very least they know how to schedule things around practice, meetings, classes, etc. Distraction still but at least its taking time away from something they deem expendable.

I'm sure we do, but I'm talking more about the mental/emotional impact of all the attention. Not real worried about it, but it's certainly an unusual level of spotlight that these guys have been in these last few days.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY and aauummm

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Do we have an admin position that deals with scheduling this kind of stuff? Like an assistant the HC? Surely ESPN isnt calling Joel and Jim Rome's people didnt call CMC directly right? If we do have such a person, at the very least they know how to schedule things around practice, meetings, classes, etc. Distraction still but at least its taking time away from something they deem expendable.

Yes. Requests come into the SID (Sports Information Director). The SID then meets with the coaches to decide what interviews to accept/decline and schedule them.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
For what it's worth, ISU starts every game pretty sluggish, so the KU game is likely just going to be more of the same.

I'm not too worried about the possible distraction of the press, and not because it's KU we're up against next, but because Campbell was preaching that the OU win is not enough the very moment he entered the locker room immediately following the OU win. He'll have these guys ready and rested.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ICYMI: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IronManLanning?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#IronManLanning</a> (<a href="https://twitter.com/JFL_02?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@JFL_02</a>) was on <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@SportsCenter</a> this morning discussing his <a href="https://twitter.com/hornungaward?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@hornungaward</a> worthy performance.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RaiseTheStandard?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#RaiseTheStandard</a><br><br> <a href="https://t.co/xCjKtPuW6P">pic.twitter.com/xCjKtPuW6P</a></p>&mdash; Cyclone Football (@CycloneFB) <a href="">October 10, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

In all honesty, if there was going to be a distraction, it would occur just because of the win, not only because of the coverage. And we certainly don't want to trade in the win ;)

As a fan, I want team to enjoy what they just did. And I want to enjoy what they just did. Life is far too short to not have any fun.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I bet handling the "adversity of success" is a major talking point this week. I would be surprised if there is a hangover.

I agree completely. These guys have worked way to hard to fall on their face to an awful KU team, that is even worse on the road. TT ran for 340 yards on them, imagine what Montgomery is going to do???

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: cyinne and aauummm

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa
It's cool for the program to get some positive national press.

As to the potential for distraction, I think Campbell is on top of it. Last night on KXNO he mentioned his players having to overcome adversity, and that success is another form of adversity. I'm guessing priority one all this week is going to be keeping the team grounded and focused on proving they can handle being a sucessful program. Losing to KU at home undoes all the progress made in the OU win. Gotta have it so that the momentum keeps building and winning becomes the norm and not a pleasant surprise or an upset.
And that is how successful teams win. By letting this win be a win and going and winning the next game

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I agree completely. These guys have worked way to hard to fall on their face to an awful KU team, that is even worse on the road. TT ran for 340 yards on them, imagine what Montgomery is going to do???
9 touches? ....... BUT 200 YARDS!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron