Large Area of Iowa in Extreme Drought.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Corn planters went hard two weeks early and now it’s been wet & cold, no corn up. Potential replanting scenario with rain forecast 5 of next 7 days. 3 1/2” rain in March & 4 1/4” in April.
A lot of that was beans going in.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Corn planters went hard two weeks early and now it’s been wet & cold, no corn up. Potential replanting scenario with rain forecast 5 of next 7 days. 3 1/2” rain in March & 4 1/4” in April.
Corn planted around the 12th is up in Story county. Looks pretty good so far. We also missed the rain yesterday.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I always thought drought was measured by historical stream and river flows, and had nothing to do with soil moisture. I could also be completely mistaken. Streams and rivers around me in NC Iowa have recovered a little so far . Ponds and lakes are still way down though.
They use a lot of measurements for the drought monitor, including soil moisture and stream gauges. Soil moisture is more short term drought impacts, stream gauges and water table measurements are long term drought impacts. This spring rain will do a lot to address short term, not so much long term.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I always thought drought was measured by historical stream and river flows, and had nothing to do with soil moisture. I could also be completely mistaken. Streams and rivers around me in NC Iowa have recovered a little so far . Ponds and lakes are still way down though.

I think all in all this is a better indicator as it tells if water is being pumped into them to fill them up consistently from springs etc.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Cedar is still extremely low but approaching average I believe. It doubled from 2' to 4'. Marshes, wetlands and backwaters are still dry/not connected. I heard a rumor of someone fly fishing the roller dam in CR over the winter because you could just wade out.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That Racoon in Adel is as high as I’ve seen it in the 4 years we’ve lived here (not a big sample size, I know). It’s been so low the last few years you could see the old bridge foundation sticking out of the water. Can Meter gauge shows it’s still on an upward trend.

Reactions: CYEATHAWK

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I don’t think that map changed from last week.
Very slight change if you use this comparison. Have to select area type to state and then state to Iowa.

It's valid to April 30th so last rains not included. Next week should show more improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum and chadly82

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Very slight change if you use this comparison. Have to select area type to state and then state to Iowa.

It's valid to April 30th so last rains not included. Next week should show more improvement.
Thanks for sharing the site. Some fun comparison can quickly be run using that site.

Much of Texas and Louisiana were in extreme to exceptional drought in September 2023. Then El Niño really started to play a role in global weather patterns. Those areas now have no drought just 7-8 months later. It’s amazing how quickly drought conditions can change

IMG_4116.png

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Most of the drought in Iowa currently would be considered long term impacts. They delineate short and long term drought impact areas on the US map on the front page. The fact that Iowa has a black outline with an L in it indicates the majority of impacts that remain are considered long term, and most of the short term impacts are gone due to the wet spring. It's going to take several more months of high, or at least normal, precipitation to get the long term impacts back to normal. If it dries up in June and stays dry the rest of the summer, which is a pattern we've seen fairly frequently lately, we will be right back to where we started the year by fall.

1000001456.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Most of the drought in Iowa currently would be considered long term impacts. They delineate short and long term drought impact areas on the US map on the front page. The fact that Iowa has a black outline with an L in it indicates the majority of impacts that remain are considered long term, and most of the short term impacts are gone due to the wet spring. It's going to take several more months of high, or at least normal, precipitation to get the long term impacts back to normal. If it dries up in June and stays dry the rest of the summer, which is a pattern we've seen fairly frequently lately, we will be right back to where we started the year by fall.

View attachment 128619
In my area, There are a lot of overflowing rivers, dredge ditches (sump pumps running for a month) standing water in fields, rivers overflowing their banks now. The lakes i go by are at a little above normal levels. They are calling this moderate drought. It is not close to drought conditions here.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
In my area, There are a lot of overflowing rivers, dredge ditches (sump pumps running for a month) standing water in fields, rivers overflowing their banks now. The lakes i go by are at a little above normal levels. They are calling this moderate drought. It is not close to drought conditions here.
What county do you live in?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Well your county is right on the margins and has shown a lot of improvement since the start of the year so I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop out soon. I'm not sure what would be keeping your area listed as drought impacted. It could be deep soil moisture measurements or data from shallow aquifers that shows those are still below normal in that area. Those are long term impacts that are going to be difficult for the average person to notice. You'd have to ask the folks in Lincoln who put it together, but I promise they have some reason to keep that area as drought impacted. Plus, as much as they try to be accurate, it's not an exact science and you can't expect the margins of drought affected areas to be exactly accurate.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I am still in the moderately dry area but we are actually above average for moisture in March and April.

North of Waterloo has been the worst area I've seen. DOT borrow ponds along 218 are empty.