Locations for winter RV resorts

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
Looking for any ideas for nice snowbird locations to warm weather states. I'm getting too old for these winters and would like to take the 5th wheel down south during Jan-Feb and March. Any resorts ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks and Go Cyclones

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Looking for any ideas for nice snowbird locations to warm weather states. I'm getting too old for these winters and would like to take the 5th wheel down south during Jan-Feb and March. Any resorts ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks and Go Cyclones

Check out KOA website, you can find just about anything, like the South Padre Island KOA has an onsite store and restaurant/bar as well as a pool

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I have friends who went full time and stay in a park in the Austin TX area. I don't remember the name but its like a tiny home community. They have some permanent homes, Long term and shorter term RV spots. They pay a monthly "lot" rent and get wi-fi and lots of perks, like a gym and pool, plus other things.

They love it. It might be longer term than you want. But they do like Austin.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
My parents just got down to the panhandle of FL for their month. They are staying at this resort and absolutely love it. The resort just opened about a year ago so has completely modern amenities, and includes golf.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Valle del Oro - Mesa, AZ. Beautiful weather, more amenities than other parks, close to many things outside of park, spring training (hopefully someday will return!), lots of midwesterners already there! Check it out.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Different strokes for different folks as they say. We are from a very low populated rural farm setting so big populated cement areas that are tightly crowded in retirement settings are not what I like. Florida, South Texas and Phoenix have lots of congestion where ever you go. Yuma, Az. is not too over populated, has a city feel and lots of Ag production. Sits right on the border and you can go back and forth (pre covid). Florida Keys are as close to the climate and setting of the Caribbean as you can get and less crowded than the mainland Florida. Has great sea food and restaurants that are reasonably priced. Interior mainland Florida is not as crowded compared to the coast. I prefer Florida over Texas and Phoenix as Florida has green living things (plants and animals) and the other two are dry sand.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Lake Havasu City is less populated than Phoenix/Mesa. Desert areas are dry, but fewer insects than Florida & Texas.

kcbob79clone

Arizona, specifically the Valley of the Sun or Phoenix area. Best and most consistent winter temperatures of AZ TX FL, lower humidity, less insects, Spring Training including the Royals.

For years we stayed at Destiny RV in Goodyear, Mesa was just too much for us.

To find parks in the Phoenix metro area or out in the middle of nowhere check out

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The Phoenix MSA has many options. I would recommend Monte Vista, Viewpoint, or The Resort; all in Mesa. Since the Canadians aren't coming down in full numbers this year you should be able to find some short-term stat sites (1-3 months)

Sun has a great Resort in Casa Grande, Palm Creek.

Sun Communities also has a great Resort near Sarasota in Florida (Sun N Fun).

Everything I listed has best in class "Resort" amenities. I have the loans on all of these, so I have to give them shout.

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
Great facilities, friendly peolpe, small town atmosphere, plenty of good bars and restaurants too.
Edit - the fish bite every day

Last edited:

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Different strokes for different folks as they say. We are from a very low populated rural farm setting so big populated cement areas that are tightly crowded in retirement settings are not what I like. Florida, South Texas and Phoenix have lots of congestion where ever you go. Yuma, Az. is not too over populated, has a city feel and lots of Ag production. Sits right on the border and you can go back and forth (pre covid). Florida Keys are as close to the climate and setting of the Caribbean as you can get and less crowded than the mainland Florida. Has great sea food and restaurants that are reasonably priced. Interior mainland Florida is not as crowded compared to the coast. I prefer Florida over Texas and Phoenix as Florida has green living things (plants and animals) and the other two are dry sand.
THIS. From mid Dec to mid Feb, unless you go all the way to South FL, beach/golf weather is often windy, colder along coast. Great winter bicycle trails in Clearwater area, however. As he says, mid FL is less crowded, but much of it is a dump IMO. Stay AWAY from Orlando. In FL you don't have to get far from the beach before it is very ordinary.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Thanks and Go Cyclones
This being a Covid year its a little odd, but alot of state parks have positions for camp hosts. It usually a retired couple that is in a larger trailer that is at the site for 2-3 months. Every campground we stayed at in NM had one and they help the arrivals navigate the sites and amenities. It seemed like a laid back job, and the site for the host had full hookups.

I would look into the camp host type position at SW US state parks.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
This being a Covid year its a little odd, but alot of state parks have positions for camp hosts. It usually a retired couple that is in a larger trailer that is at the site for 2-3 months. Every campground we stayed at in NM had one and they help the arrivals navigate the sites and amenities. It seemed like a laid back job, and the site for the host had full hookups.

I would look into the camp host type position at SW US state parks.
Yes, we actually looked at Grand Canyon for this. You are somewhat restricted as to days off. Parks are remote. Plan to spend your time at the park for the entire summer.

Help Support Us

Become a patron