Lost in the Shuffle--A Rob

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I'm sure I might get shot down on this. But watching A-Rob the last couple games I've started to feel like he's the best RB we've had since Troy Davis, but he's being hugely hurt by not having a solid O-Line blocking for him. I think given a powerful line he's easily a 1000 yard back this season.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I'm sure I might get shot down on this. But watching A-Rob the last couple games I've started to feel like he's the best RB we've had since Troy Davis, but he's being hugely hurt by not having a solid O-Line blocking for him. I think given a powerful line he's easily a 1000 yard back this season.

Ennis Haywood?

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Very solid back with break away speed...I'm glad he's on our team. I've been screaming on here for weeks that this offense is getting better and better and by next year will be a solid force offensivly in this conference. If the D can just make some steps to improve we have an offense that will score points and keep the other teams offense off the field.

I see a drastic increase in wins next year.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
The sad part is, We have a stable full of good backs and questionable blocking for all of them
A healthy JJ Bass or Arob are easily good for 1000 IMO

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
By that logic, Reesing is better than McCoy b/c he has more passing yards.

And Tommy Chang would be the best QB in the history of College football

Sheer yardage was hardly the entirety of the logic. I'd like to see what Robinson could do behind Oklahoma's line. Or, with Harrell of Daniel as a diversion.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
That's all well and good, but why did it take them 8 or 9 games to get back to playing at the level they were at the end of the year last year? We didn't lose much on the o-line. That's what is frustrating to me. Are we going to have to start at ground zero again next year?

That is frustrating to me as well. I thought that at the end of last year, ARob had turned the corner and the OL had come around. I thought that the running game was going to be dominant...especially against bad teams. They ran the ball well against decent teams at the end of last year (Mizzou, KSU, CU) and 4/5 of the OL was coming back with some good underclassmen pushing them.

THEN, McFarland tinkered with the OL and ARob seemingly forgot how to run. The team couldn't impose its will (running the ball) on SDSU or Kent St or UNLV much less iowa or Baylor. Hopefully a lesson was learned, because if it happens again this offseason, we're looking at the same exact results.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That's all well and good, but why did it take them 8 or 9 games to get back to playing at the level they were at the end of the year last year? We didn't lose much on the o-line. That's what is frustrating to me. Are we going to have to start at ground zero again next year?

Just crazy, but I'd say it had something to do with three new starters at new positions, not settling on a left tackle--and the fact that Mike Knapp, one of two guys who beat out last season's returning starter, has been out most of the year.

When you reshuffle, you do start out at zero, at least as far as cohesion is concerned. However, I would figure that Carpenter (potentially) would be the only new face in the two deep, unless Burris surprises. So no, we wouldn't be starting from "zero". But this is hardly a polished unit, either--yet.

Last edited:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
We have ran the ball well this year, well better than last. The difference is we have had numerous backs and QBs running it vs. just one major contributer a game. Maybe we are not running it as well as you expected, but we are running it better then last year. Look up the stats.

2007- 1484 at 3.1 yards a carry and long of 37
2008- 1379 at 4.0 yards a carry and long of 68 (with two game left)

Someone mentioned Bo earlier in the thread, has anyone heard anything about him? I liked his running in the spring game, but I haven't heard anything which makes me think that maybe he isn't doing as well as expected.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Someone mentioned Bo earlier in the thread, has anyone heard anything about him? I liked his running in the spring game, but I haven't heard anything which makes me think that maybe he isn't doing as well as expected.

I heard he will be starting at MLB next year...

Completely kidding of course...

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Someone mentioned Bo earlier in the thread, has anyone heard anything about him? I liked his running in the spring game, but I haven't heard anything which makes me think that maybe he isn't doing as well as expected.[/quote]

On the call-in show last night, someone asked how he was doing. To paraphrase Coach Chizik's response he said he would like to see Bo "run over or run through" people more often, rather than trying to run away from people. Did anyone else hear it that way?

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Bo Has good speed and vision, I dont really know why everyone expects him to be this powerback, We have Schwartz for that.

Hes gonna beable to run more people over than say, Arob, but he is very similar running type to say, Hunter at Okie State.

Bo is doing good, Maybe a little bit behind on learning the real offense, but that will tighten up this winter/spring

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Just crazy, but I'd say it had something to do with <u>three new starters at new positions</u>, not settling on a left tackle--and the fact that Mike Knapp, one of two guys who beat out last season's returning starter, has been out most of the year.

<u>When you reshuffle, you do start out at zero, at least as far as cohesion is concerned</u>. However, I would figure that Carpenter (potentially) would be the only new face in the two deep, unless Burris surprises. So no, we wouldn't be starting from "zero". But this is hardly a polished unit, either--yet.

The fact of the matter is the line underperformed in run blocking this year. You can blame it on injuries, but we took a step back even though the personel didn't change much. I'm very frustrated by this, which was the point of my first post.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I think that unless Bo takes the starting job for ARob next year, I can see ARob getting close to 1000 yards next season. He has almost 600 already this year with two more chances to have good games, that was splitting snaps with JJ and Scales (both gone next year). I bet ARob will finish this season with over 700 yards.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that unless Bo takes the starting job for ARob next year, I can see ARob getting close to 1000 yards next season. He has almost 600 already this year with two more chances to have good games, that was splitting snaps with JJ and Scales (both gone next year). I bet ARob will finish this season with over 700 yards.

I suppose you're right...and, ARob was dinged in the first game, missed a few and wasn't back to form until probably KU. I just had higher hopes for him, Bass and the OL after last year ended. Let's hope that they settle on an OL early in the spring and stick with it. I know there's something to be said for "every position is open", but not at the expense of cohesion on the OL. That group needs to be set and playing together midway through the spring. No moving guys around and dropping RSFR in with the 1's for motivational purposes.

Bottom line is that in most games (not Baylor, Nebraska or OSU), the O did well enough to win if the pass D could stop anyone.