Making out a will

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Why I recommend hiring an attorney that charges by the hour if the estate has any size to it. You can save a lot of money doing it that way.
[/QUOTE

I was executor for a relative and definitely opted for hourly. Much cheaper. Did most everything myself and just let atty file legal papers with county.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Looking at options right now doing the online route vs going through a lawyer. Reason I'm doing this since my mom made me executor to her will, I figured now is a good as time as ever get one done. No kids under 18. Just the property we live on and other assests. Iowa seems to a lot different ways of looking at things. Any info would be helpful. What is the normal cost to have one done. On line ranges from like $300 and up and like $20/year to update. Have no idea what attorney rates are.
@CloneLawman

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Last summer we established a revocable trust which now owns all our assets OUTSIDE of our IRA investments. Surviving spouse gets everything.

Will has our bank Trust Dept as the estate executor. Executor, upon demise of survivor, dissolves all assets outside of the IRA assets. Fees according to asset values. IRA assets transfer to beneficiaries.

No probate, no additional attorney fees. Much $$$ saved.

Reactions: CascadeClone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm not sure he even still does this but @Clonefan32 helped me with estate planning a few years ago and was happy with everything. I'm not being paid for this endorsement :)

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Suggestion: Also consider a living will and durable POA

Husband and I have burial plots, wills, living wills and durable POA. I’m dealing with aging parents that (IMO) didn’t plan for the future and now it’s making us take a good hard look at what we need to do now instead of waiting. We’re realizing there’s more to it than just a will. Nursing home insurance, funeral planning, revocable trusts, family LLC, etc. It’s a lot to understand, so best to go to someone good and knowledgeable instead of trying to figure it all out.

CloneKing

Apr 5, 2020
Ankeny
We had a great experience working with Tim.
Got an appointment set up with him. Around $500 for will and power of attorney. He also doesn’t charge for any document changes. I appreciate everyone’s input. CFs are the best!!

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
After losing two parents (one In law) both had wills. After being executor for one and having an attorney as an executor for the other and going through the whole process.

I highly recommend doing a Living Trust avoid probate and other issues. Save so much headache, may be more expensive upfront but 2% of your estate to an attorney down the line it’s well worth it.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Are there any "pre-work" or a checklist that people here would recommend prior to meeting with a lawyer to draft up a will? My wife and I are looking to get one set up soon, and since we've never dealt with anything we may have a lot of questions and a lot that we just don't know. It'd be nice to be prepared so we could be efficient in meeting with the lawyer.