Votes: 11 12.9%
  • F - Coldplay, Marry - U2, Kill - DMB

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • F - Coldplay, Marry - DMB, Kill - U2

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Circa ‘04, I knew a dooshcanoe dude on my floor in maple that was obsessed with DMB and made sure everyone knew it. Ruined it for me forever.

There was comedian once who had a bit about having friends who thought they sounded like DMB and would then sing their songs 'like Dave' and this was one of many reasons I just got real tired of them quickly because those people were out there.

Add in the band who has the rhythm guitarist that does similar where they act like they're doing a whole bunch to play basic chords.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Boy and REM's Murmer are my favorite albums and it isn't close. The newer U2, not so much.

I was about to say U2 and REM both have people that I think unfairly judge them as a band that hung on for 40 years and played massive tours. For whatever reason the Stones never seemed to get the same dislike for that even though they really didn't put out popular new music the past 40 years.

REM's late "comeback" album Accelerate was kind of shocking how good it was though. I don't feel U2 has ever had an album like that where it made me think it was as good as the early/prime stuff.

Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Nice. Murmur and Life's Rich Pageant are REM's best IMO.
Definitely my top 2, although "Reckoning" (released 40 years ago this month) is close.

I admit my attention to R.E.M. is first-decade-heavy, it began to dwindle by mid-'90s, not directly fault of the band's music. My interests had gone in disparate directions by then. I really should deep-dive more into second half of the discography.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Definitely my top 2, although "Reckoning" (released 40 years ago this month) is close.

I admit my attention to R.E.M. is first-decade-heavy, it began to dwindle by mid-'90s, not directly fault of the band's music. My interests had gone in disparate directions by then. I really should deep-dive more into second half of the discography.

"Accelerate" is great. Some of the others are pretty rough.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I get that some people think Bono is too preachy, they want their artists to just "shut up and dribble" to steal phrase launched at my least favorite great athlete. That said if you like arena / 80s rock U2 Joshua Tree is a masterpiece and adds to the hits they had on first few albums. Then Achtung Baby start to finish is an amazing pop rock album, which they perform even better live.

DMB I never got into, not my sound. Coldplay has some really good tunes, I get why popular, they have similarities to U2 and I'm honestly not familiar with newer albums but they have not been ground breaking as U2 nor do they have The Edge

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm thinking about the girls for fans.

U2 - Kill. Easy.

DMB - Marry. They'd be cute, and probably liked some music (I love J5).

Coldplay - ****. Might be hot, but probably to crazy. I mean, he married a batshit crazy who made vagina smell candles.

1714451748860.png

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I am a Hard Rock guy, but still like some bands from other genres, especially when I was a teenager in the late 90s. I went through a period where I really liked U2, and still think their 90's and 00's songs had a lot of meaning, heart, and depth. They were different from my norm, but they were in a group with bands like Everclear, Smashing Pumpkins, Wallflowers, DMB, etc that I could listen to and would occasionally buy a CD of.

I can't really say I've stayed current with any of them since probably 2005. Each had a couple early albums that were good enough to listen to in between hard rock and numetal jams.

I'd **** DMB just to get them over with (he became really pretentious and annoying), I'd kill Coldplay because they probably have the least I liked. I'd marry U2 but cheat on them every night. While Bono is pretentious, he's earned that ability with how much he's contributed to things like AIDS through Product {RED} and other initiatives.

Last edited:

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
War is an AWESOME album! One of the greats! I agree with you point! I was HUGE in the Springsteen camp in the 80s and viewed U2 as a threat to what I felt was Springsteen's ownership of all things music in that era (LOL)! U2's "Live at Red Rocks" concert film was as good as anything that came out of that decade!

as a Springsteen fan, what would be your top 5 albums of his?

• Love
Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
as a Springsteen fan, what would be your top 5 albums of his?

1. Tunnel of Love
2. Born to Run
3. Western Stars
4. Nebraska
5. Darkness on the Edge of Town

(I will state that #1 never changes...but depending on mood I am in or day of the week for that matter...the rest of the order changes and isn't always the same albums)

Reactions: drlove