Matt Campbell's Most Important Game...

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Sure, it sounds like "Coach Speak" to say that the next game is the most important game in the Matt Campbell Tenure, but the OkSt game is. It was ok for him to lose the Iowa game. It sucks, but his job security was never in question for losing that. The Ohio game was a disaster for multiple reasons, but he was still not in danger because he has proven to be able to win at Iowa State (at some capacity). We are frustrated with the team, but you reading this on a Cyclone site means something...

Here is the truth.... Losing at Iowa State does not get you fired. Let's face it. We are not LSU or Nebraska that can fire their coach after going 10-2 or 9-3 just because they think he will never win at the level they want. ISU hopes that you make a bowl every other year and putting out multiple losing seasons a couple years in a row isn't the end of the world. Yes, there is a point to when losing is a factor in the ISU HC being fired, but it is not mutually exclusive to the REAL reason...

The real reason you get fired at Iowa State: Apathy. We all know what to expect for our opening play of the first drive. We have seen it every game of every year. It worked once: 2021 KSU. Every other time it was like running into a brick wall. And if ISU does the same play this weekend, I expect "Boos" although I will not participate. The fanbase is tired. The gameplan isn't working and we are BEGGING for a change.....

So what happens if it doesn't change? What happens if we continue to try what doesn't work? I'll tell you. We will have about 53,000 fans for the TCU game. 40,000 fans for the KU game and a burnt orange stadium for the Texas game. You will think: "We need to fire this coach cuz we suck." Jamie Pollard will think: "We had an AMAZING year for season ticket sales, and these people are choosing to stay home. They already had the ticket and they chose not to use it. We are going to sell much less next year." As the athletic director, one of your KPIs is "Season Ticket Sales." It's a huge, dependable revenue generator and the way to sell season tickets is to sell excitement. That will move Pollard's needle....

Rhoads was fired because the fan base became apathetic. Prohm got fired because the majority of Cyclone Nation didn't watch the 2020 season even during a pandemic with nothing else to do. I hope that the staff makes a change. I love the Cyclones and Rocco is a stud. I still believe in Campbell and hope he takes the steps he needs to.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
5 paragraphs. I'm out.
I gotchu. In summary,

200w.webp

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The real reason you get fired at Iowa State: Apathy. We all know what to expect for our opening play of the first drive. We have seen it every game of every year. It worked once: 2021 KSU. Every other time it was like running into a brick wall. And if ISU does the same play this weekend, I expect "Boos" although I will not participate. The fanbase is tired. The gameplan isn't working and we are BEGGING for a change.....
If we lose Saturday I will indeed have apathy towards the remainder of this season but not towards Campbell or the program.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
UNI 4 passes, totaling 14 yards, 2 of them for 0.
7 runs, totaling 17 yards, 2 of them for 0
P10
R4
R0
R2
P0
P3
P0
R3
R0
R3
R5

Iowa 4 passes, totaling 13 yards, 2 of them for 0.
8 runs, totaling 24 yards, 2 for negative yards.
P6
R11
R5
P7
R1
R-5
R3
R1
R-2
R10
P0
P0

Ohio 6 passes, totaling 77 yards, All completed
4 runs, totaling 17 yards, 2 for 0 yards.
R0
R0
P12
P12
R11
P7
P7
R6
P39
P0

On the season 14 passes and 19 runs. So we have passed 42% of the time on first down. So I wouldn't say that's all that predictable and seems to be trending towards more passing. We shall see how it's done this week. "3 things can happen when you pass, and 2 are bad." :)

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I dont think the game in of itself is the most important. I think the next 9 games are going to be the most important stretch of CMC's career as he needs to prove to the fanbase that this team is capable of improving week to week.
No use in doing the game-by-game thing in year 8. He's either going to get things back on track or he's not. If it is indeed the latter, his days in Ames are numbered. If we see the same trajectory we did in his first season here, then there's reason to keep the flame lit going into 2024.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No use in doing the game-by-game thing in year 8. He's either going to get things back on track or he's not. If it is indeed the latter, his days in Ames are numbered. If we see the same trajectory we did in his first season here, then there's reason to keep the flame lit going into 2024.
He's not getting fired this year.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Ok St is a dog **** team and represents our best remaining chance at a win this year, but I don't see how this is a must win.

Even if we go 1-11, he'll be here next year unless he murders a Jr Cyclone Club kid on the hillside while exiting JTS.

If we see zero change to the offense all season, season ticket sales will dive next year which is the signal to JP that change is needed barring a turnaround next season.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I dont think the game in of itself is the most important. I think the next 9 games are going to be the most important stretch of CMC's career as he needs to prove to the fanbase that this team is capable of improving week to week.
People need to remember there are a lot of underclassmen playing on offense.

QB : FR
RB: SO, FR
WR: JR, JR, JR
TE: SR, FR
LT: SO
LG: SR
C: SO
RG: SR
RT: JR

Many of these younger players will get better as the season progresses as they gain experience. A late September game with these young players won't necessarily determine the fate of CMC

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I agree with the general premise. Lose this game and 1-11 looks like a real possibility. That won't get him fired this year, but it will kill recruiting and fan engagement. Then you have set the table for what is most likely a lame duck 2024 season. Hard to see us bouncing back from 4-8 and 1-11 to do much in 2024. At that point you make the coaching change and hope the hole hasn't been dug too deep so maybe the new guy can build it back in 2 or 3 years.

Help Support Us

Become a patron