Mid Major Coaches

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
When will the coaches from Dayton, WS & UNI go on to major conferences? If you were the AD at Texas, Creighton, Okie State, K-State, Illinois, Indiana etc... why wouldn't you go after Miller from Dayton?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Creighton has been good until this year. They had to replace one of the best college players ever. N9t sure why they would want to replace Mac.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
McDermott may have ruined it for Ben Jacobson. They are so similar, that it's hard not to think about what happened when McDermott tried the big 12.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Ben Jacobson should be getting a call soon. He has done an amazing job at UNI, and his team does it more with solid play than talent.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Texas is the only "big" school that can afford to hire a coach.

- Indiana would owe Tom Crean $12 million if they fired him today, and $7.5 million if they waited until July.

- Creighton fans still like McDermott. One bad year doesn't mean fire a guy.

- Illinois extended their coach until 2018 just last season. They would owe him ~ $6.5 million if they fired him today, ~$4 million if they fired him after July

- K-State has Bruce Weber until 2019. They would owe him ~$8 million if they fired him today.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Gotta think Archie Miller gets some major offers this year.

I think some of these mid major coaches are comfortable where they're at though. Make about a million per year in a smaller city. Not have to deal with huge expectations or even much media. Make the tourney every 3-4 years and cash a paycheck. Not a bad career IMO.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
McDermott may have ruined it for Ben Jacobson. They are so similar, that it's hard not to think about what happened when McDermott tried the big 12.
Jacobson > McDermott. UNI beat Kansas with Jacobson and has had their best season of all time with Jacobson, not McDermott. I know McDermott left UNI in a good place for Jacobson to take over but Jacobson has done much more than McDermott.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Mid-major coaches are a lot less likely to take a bigger job now. The money isn't that much different and a lot of them probably think they have a good deal at a place like Dayton vs. a crappy power 5 conference school where it will be really hard to turn it around. Look at Brian Gregory at Georgia Tech---I bet he has thoughts about leaving Dayton.

Jacobson is not real likely to leave UNI and he could if he wanted to.

We are lucky that we got Fred when we were looking for a new coach. The pickings would have been very slim.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Jacobson > McDermott. UNI beat Kansas with Jacobson and has had their best season of all time with Jacobson, not McDermott. I know McDermott left UNI in a good place for Jacobson to take over but Jacobson has done much more than McDermott.
. Jacobson was at UNI with McDermott. It looks to me like he was the reason UNI was successful then and now. McDermitt will have to see continued success at Creighton to convince me otherwise.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Jacobsen is a perfect fit at UNI. He was in discussions for a couple jobs after the Sweet 16 run. Frankly I'd be surprised if he leaves UNI. Sounds like he really likes it there.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It is a hard jump for many to make and they fail more times than they make it work. Those guys can basically keep the jobs they have for as long as they want, and make good money over the long haul in one place. Sure moving up means more money but for how long can they keep that job?

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
If I was Archie Miller, Chris Mack-- I know Xavier's in the Big East but the Big East is feeling more and more like a mid-major anyway--, Ben Jacobson, Gregg Marshall, etc. I would probably just stay put. If you really want to coach at a big school, wait until Rick Barnes, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, Mike Krzyzewski or somebody along those lines moves on. Barnes could happen as early as this offseason. I think I would want to wait until one of the real big time jobs opened up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Mid-major coaches are a lot less likely to take a bigger job now. The money isn't that much different

I think it all depends on the mid major.

Shaka Smart at VCU? He's making 1.5 million. Gregg Marshall? About the same. Indeed, why leave? Any increase is likely to be outweighed by job security unless someone throws big money around

Jacobson? He's got a 500k salary. If he got a $2 million salary, he'd have to look at it. Even if it didnt work out he'd probably have at least a guaranteed 4 years on that and make more in those 4 years than he's making at UNI in 10

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think it all depends on the mid major.

Shaka Smart at VCU? He's making 1.5 million. Gregg Marshall? About the same. Indeed, why leave? Any increase is likely to be outweighed by job security unless someone throws big money around

Jacobson? He's got a 500k salary. If he got a $2 million salary, he'd have to look at it. Even if it didnt work out he'd probably have at least a guaranteed 4 years on that and make more in those 4 years than he's making at UNI in 10

It will be interesting to see how many and what kind of Power 5 jobs open up in the offseason and whether or not they would be a good fit for Jacobson or not. As a ISU/UNI fan I'll get a little worried when Bo Ryan retires and/or if Tony Bennett leaves Virginia. Both schools seem to be pretty good matches on the surface. Same with Minnesota, although they've had Pitino Jr. for just a little while now.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Same arguments we make with Fred and the NBA...

Some balance of security, quality of life, and "back home-ness" versus further prestige, talent, money, and resources.

We seem content to think Ames is enough for Hoiberg. It could be the same at VCU, WSU, etc.