Modest Proposal for Hilton Lighting

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Or ESPN's cameras suck? CBS video looked great yesterday.

CBS brings their own gear for a big game like this. ESPN+ the schools provide the cameras and operators. Not sure for games on the "flagship" ESPN and ESPN2 but think those are also the schools camera.

Seeing those images makes me want to edit the white balance. :rolleyes:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

My ESPN+ doesn't look that bad most of the time. For instance, the numbers are blurry in the comparison shot. I have no trouble reading numbers when I watch a game on ESPN+, except for the occasional buffering. CBS may indeed be better, but I'm calling BS on these photos being a fair comparison.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016

The lights are still much dimmer and are the issue but it's crazy what a difference it makes when the company producing the game cares and invests in the production.
Wish we were a blue blood so CBS would come around more often.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Let's get a new scoreboard first.
It does look like they awarded everything from their scoreboard bid last fall which means Hilton's new board will be going in soon and we will have way bigger video boards at Trice too. I don't remember if everything gets installed this year or next though.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The issue I've had ever since they installed the LED lighting is that Hilton appears darker the higher up the seating is. Even the lower level when they pan out some on TV the upper parts of the lower level is even a bit dark. I believe the reasoning was they wanted to concentrate the light to the court as that that is essentially the "stage" for the event you want to draw the focus too but when we have a packed house for a basketball game would be nice for the lighting to be bright enough to showcase that on a TV broadcast. It makes more sense for smaller events that the upper level appears dark and you can't tell how full the upper deck is but for Basketball we usually have a pretty full arena that we should be proud to have on display when the TV camera angles span out.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It does look like they awarded everything from their scoreboard bid last fall which means Hilton's new board will be going in soon and we will have way bigger video boards at Trice too. I don't remember if everything gets installed this year or next though.
Heard Pollard on KXNO last year talk that they hope the ones in Hilton would be in place for next season and likely the following year after that for Jack Trice. They were trying to bid it out all at once but obviously the signage at Jack Trice is going to be a much bigger project to complete than Hilton will be.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Did they award the larger screens in Jack Trice?
Part of the RFP was to bid just replacing the current size as well.
Does it say which option they chose?

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
CBS coverage was better in every way compared to ESPN. The announcers were great too. Damn shame we can’t play on CBS more.
This is why I am really REALLY hopeful (foolishly so) that Yormark's grand plan is to package Big XII basketball by itself and sell the rights to CBS/TNT/TBS. The exposure and prestige that would come with being the premier CBB product on those networks would be gigantic.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron