Momcilovic to lottery pick

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He’s not a first rounder this year.

I think playing for TJ 2-3 years might actually be the ticket for him. At some point he's going to be such a solid defender and I think at some other programs the defense might have been way more of a question mark. Even just now compared to his first month it's a massive difference.

Reactions: CapnCy

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
yeah, I agree. If I were to amend my first statement I should have said "Niang with a higher ceiling".

I think Milan's higher ceiling than Niang is more attributable to his ability to make tough shots from all spots on the floor (not really just 3's like Niang).
Niang was a master on the block. Something we haven't really gotten to see if Milan can do.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'd be shocked if he's early second round this year but not shocked if he eventually is mid or late 2nd round because he has decent size, the point is there are only about 10-15ish American college players a year that can leave early for a nice safe guaranteed contract. Leaving college in the NIL era to be a mid to late 2nd round pick is kind of nuts, you could get the same chance to stick after college anyway the way Naz and Matt did, or actually get drafted 2nd round and stick as an older but not freak athlete player like Monte/Niang.

Milan is not ready which is why he's on 2025 boards and not 2024, but his upside already outweighs anything Sandfort has shown. He's also obviously part of a well oiled defensive juggernaut improving rapidly on defense and rebounding, not a high volume shooter on a team that plays almost no defense happy for games to be in the 80s/90s. Scouts look at stuff like that more than we can even imagine.
It is the opinion of NBA scouts and execs that Givonay has talked to about Sandfort so I tend to believe him. Sandfort could get a bag from bigger schools but he won't transfer so if I were him I would go pro. Get a two way contract and see if can work your butt off and get a shot in the league. They expanded the number of two way contracts that teams can have from 2 to 3.

Milan will be an interesting one to watch. To me he is a bigger Niang but his shot is quicker and better. I have seen the evaluations of him say that his limitations are that he really isn't a movement shooter and his lack of foot speed/athleticism.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
He'd be stupid not to declare and go through the process this year. Maybe he comes back but the evaluation stuff is huge.
I agree. Getting evaluated has no downside.

For what it's worth I saw him projected as a 2nd rounder in next year's draft.

I will say though it may be worth going through the process, because this year's draft is absolute ***.
Is it true that it's a bad draft, or just not many American players? Isn't most of the first round comprised of foreign players?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I agree. Getting evaluated has no downside.

Is it true that it's a bad draft, or just not many American players? Isn't most of the first round comprised of foreign players?
The top of the draft has several foreign born guys but there are twenty or more college players in the first round mocks.

• Informative
Reactions: NENick

Fall Creek

Oct 28, 2023
Think that Milan needs some time to fill out his frame to make it to the next level. Athlete wise he is not on the elite jumper/speed/size/power end. He is a good shooter and a decent post-up scorer but he needs to be elite at those skills to go to the NBA. Hoping that is accomplished over the next few years.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As I understand, Niang doesn't score on the block at all in the NBA. Were talking about how they will play in the NBA.

When NIang does on occasion in the NBA everyone goes nuts not realizing he has post moves.

Even by the time he left ISU we had moron Iowa fans coming on here saying Niang wasn't good because he couldn't score inside and was only a shooter...forgetting about a few years ago when he was basically a starting center hitting last second shots inside in massive games.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I don't see it. He's had a great freshman year but there are a lot of flaws in his game from an NBA perspective. Only post move to score is a fade away and he's a below average rebounder so he's not particularly alluring as an inside presence. So you're counting on him as a 3 and D type player at this point and he's been good but not exactly eye raising at shooting 3's and his defense is improving but more in the "fine" rather than lockdown defender category.

Next year at the earliest but honestly I think there's a decent chance he's in college for +3 years.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
That's right, even at the same age they are very different. Not just in skill, but playing style is very different. But I think people go to the below average athlete with shot-making ability and go there. Being white with a foreign sounding name helps that too.

I think it's just that it's tough to find a comp that was a really high pick. You have to pretty much eliminate all the elite athletes and 7' guys. So you're down to a very small number of guys, and it's at least physically possible to project advancing skills to where a comp exists.
Nik Stauskas comes to mind - his career didn’t pan out but he was drafted 8th overall

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Nik Stauskas comes to mind - his career didn’t pan out but he was drafted 8th overall
Not sure Milan has this in his game...
ooVCD28egdi24IKUqXMr0FpKft3oFT_tZYSy2Ix_-azmKRoQMPQz0Y9bVPur1SSibx2jtKDViLYCIkizWGMY2IGEbQfxxAYvwQ8RykKKCgsfDoX1brwH5kKS-4odYNlMfN0DbmUK_8fr55fPyDuX

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I don't see it. He's had a great freshman year but there are a lot of flaws in his game from an NBA perspective. Only post move to score is a fade away and he's a below average rebounder so he's not particularly alluring as an inside presence. So you're counting on him as a 3 and D type player at this point and he's been good but not exactly eye raising at shooting 3's and his defense is improving but more in the "fine" rather than lockdown defender category.

Next year at the earliest but honestly I think there's a decent chance he's in college for +3 years.
He won't be ready for the NBA until he gets to the point that he demands the ball and doesn't have to be told by coaches and teammates to take shots. He needs to be a prolific shooter/scorer to have a role on an NBA team. He might develop this mindset next year, but I also expect that it might be a development process over a two year period.

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Edit: lol you’re right, I remembered him as more of a shooter, didn’t realize he had that bounce. Milan probably can’t match that lol.

I’d also suggest Milan could be a poor man’s Doug McDermott.
He didn't have that bounce until his second year. He hit the weight room and blossomed.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
I see Milan much in the mold of Grady **** from Kansas last year. He should have stayed at KU one more year (glad he didn't) because he wasn't ready for the NBA yet.

Milan, should go through the pro evaluations this spring. He can learn what they feel he needs to work on and add to his game, do that here, and then turn pro in another year.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I see Milan much in the mold of Grady **** from Kansas last year. He should have stayed at KU one more year (glad he didn't) because he wasn't ready for the NBA yet.

Milan, should go through the pro evaluations this spring. He can learn what they feel he needs to work on and add to his game, do that here, and then turn pro in another year.

EXPERIENCE HIM
****-gradey-draft-pick-red-sequined-suit-062323-1-667e8e6ff46f45ad8f4aea415683358e.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC