Moneyball

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
iowa is changing. theyve completely turned over their staff and i suspect that it took his own flesh and blood to finally get through to him in terms of game plan and recruiting.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Every Hawk fan that I've heard criticize the great Captain Kirk has said the same thing. In the end they know Kirk likely wont change and you can't get rid of him because he's the main reason they have/develop all of the NFL caliber talent.

If Kirk would let his OC open it up they could be scary good some years but no matter who the OC is, they usually bend to what KF wants.

I genuinely think KF is a top 20 guy to run a college football program...but in the ISU series alone the amount of times I've rejoiced in a KF fourth down decision should make Iowa fans vomit a little.

It's hard to argue against their recruiting, development, and defensive consistency though.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
It's hard to argue against their recruiting, development, and defensive consistency though.

Without a doubt. Every year they roll out another run stuffing, stout defensive line and every year ours is the weakest position group on the team.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
Every Hawk fan that I've heard criticize the great Captain Kirk has said the same thing. In the end they know Kirk likely wont change and you can't get rid of him because he's the main reason they have/develop all of the NFL caliber talent.

If Kirk would let his OC open it up they could be scary good some years but no matter who the OC is, they usually bend to what KF wants.

Hammer meet nail. This is it. It's really frustrating to think what some of those Iowa teams could've been like with even an above avg offense.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
iowa is changing. theyve completely turned over their staff and i suspect that it took his own flesh and blood to finally get through to him in terms of game plan and recruiting.

Bingo. I think BF is a big reason we are seeing the subtle changes in the way Iowa plays. I think they limped thru that 4-8 year because everything was different, last year we saw it get a little better. Now this year, schedule aside, I think we will see an even better team and better results. I think we are gonna see more that a few opposing teams front lines, on offense and defense, struggle to keep up with how physical Iowa is going to be this year.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I guess to wrap that thought up, I'll say this. Yes I know last years LBers were arguably the best group Iowa has had in a long time, at least since Hodge and Greenway. But I think Iowa has some talent there. They say Alston is a sponge and know the defense inside and out, and Spearman is a freak. Add in the fact they get to play behind that defensive line and I don't think we will see much of a drop in production out of that group.

The secondary, on the other hand, we don't talk about the secondary.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
This comment though had me laughing:

Working title that was axed by the editors:

"Iowa Excuses Recruiting Laziness by Claiming Recruitment of Smaller, Slower Players is Purposeful"

Reply · Like · 5 ·

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I guess to wrap that thought up, I'll say this. Yes I know last years LBers were arguably the best group Iowa has had in a long time, at least since Hodge and Greenway. But I think Iowa has some talent there. They say Alston is a sponge and know the defense inside and out, and Spearman is a freak. Add in the fact they get to play behind that defensive line and I don't think we will see much of a drop in production out of that group.

The secondary, on the other hand, we don't talk about the secondary.

did you forget 2009's linebacking corps or do you think last years was better?

Anyway, I'm not concerned about the starting linebackers, it's the backups that I wonder about similar to 2010. Injuries happen and Iowa doesn't have a lot of depth there right now which happens when you graduate 3 multi-year starters.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
did you forget 2009's linebacking corps or do you think last years was better?

Anyway, I'm not concerned about the starting linebackers, it's the backups that I wonder about similar to 2010. Injuries happen and Iowa doesn't have a lot of depth there right now which happens when you graduate 3 multi-year starters.

I actually debated with myself to include them or not in that post. I think Angerer really made that group shine. And I would give him the edge over Morris. But man, Hitchens and Kirksey were studs. I think they were definitely better than Edds and Hunter.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I actually debated with myself to include them or not in that post. I think Angerer really made that group shine. And I would give him the edge over Morris. But man, Hitchens and Kirksey were studs. I think they were definitely better than Edds and Hunter.

Completely disagree. Edds was the best coverage LB Iowa has had as well as one of the most unappreciated.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Completely disagree. Edds was the best coverage LB Iowa has had as well as one of the most unappreciated.

Ill give you that he was a little better in coverage than Hitch or Kirksey. But it's a lot closer than you may think. He had 2 more interceptions than Kirksey and 6 more PBU. And he bested Hitch by a few more than that in each category. But all the other stats lean pretty heavily in Kirksey/Hitch favor.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Ill give you that he was a little better in coverage than Hitch or Kirksey. But it's a lot closer than you may think. He had 2 more interceptions than Kirksey and 6 more PBU. And he bested Hitch by a few more than that in each category. But all the other stats lean pretty heavily in Kirksey/Hitch favor.

Not trying to say they were not great players by any means, just that Edds was (IMO) far and away the best coverage Linebacker of the KF era and at the LEO position in Iowa's defense, coverage is extremely important. Hitches played WLB and would obviously have much better stats as that position than Edds would have at LEO due to Iowa's defensive scheme .

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Bingo. I think BF is a big reason we are seeing the subtle changes in the way Iowa plays. I think they limped thru that 4-8 year because everything was different, last year we saw it get a little better. Now this year, schedule aside, I think we will see an even better team and better results. I think we are gonna see more that a few opposing teams front lines, on offense and defense, struggle to keep up with how physical Iowa is going to be this year.

Gene Chizik could coach this Iowa team to 8 wins with that schedule.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
That really has no relationship with Moneyball at all. They used advanced stats to do things where Iowa is saying things like "kids in the midwest respond different." Stupid comparison.

Exactly right. As an Oakland fan this comparison makes me want to puke.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
That really has no relationship with Moneyball at all. They used advanced stats to do things where Iowa is saying things like "kids in the midwest respond different." Stupid comparison.

Exactly. Iowa fans think recruiting QBs from HS teams then having them change positions moving into college FB is some new thing Kurt came up with. Get this: in HS, even at the highest levels of competition, the best athlete on the team plays QB quite often. Holy schnikes, say it ain't so! Didn't Leonard Johnson play some QB while in HS?

Then, if Iowa has placed so many players into the NFL, why hasn't that translated to more wins for ol' Kurtie? Seems to me Iowa usually lacks speed, in particular at the skill positions, and I do not see a whole lot on their roster. Last year's recruiting class severely lacked it on offense. Also, it seems the trend of putting players in the NFL has decreased since the Rhabdo incident. Wonder if that is coincidence or not. I guess I really don't care. As long as Kurt is there, we have a chance to beat them every year, and that is with our below-average level of play the last 15+ years. Build even more momentum & get on a roll, then I will start to expect it.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
can we drop the moneyball nitpicking? this wasnt some in-depth analysis, he was literally quoting what an opposing coach said.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron