moving on to next years team

blood94

May 10, 2010
okay everyone now that we have emily staying how do we utilize addy brown kelsey and arianna jackson. we know where audi is going to be. is this team going to be faster? i have not seen any highlights of addy brown or arriana jackson.

Reactions: dafarmer

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
While I expect the new girls to be talented, I think the start of the year to be rough. I wouldn't be surprised if we get swept by Iowa, Drake, and UNI. Iowa is going to destroy us.

At the end of this year, I wasn't expecting Joens or Jackson to see much playing time. Now, I'm sure they will have significant minutes.

I was hoping Diew wouldn't have to play the 5 anymore with Ashley gone, but with basically no depth at the post, she is going to have to take some minutes there (assuming she doesn't also leave).

• Agree
Reactions: WartburgClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It's tough to look at next season until we have clarity on who Bill adds in the transfer portal and possibly JUCO.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think th
First order of business is going to be hitting the transfer pool much harder than the WBB team has previously. Probably need 2-3 starters out of the pool.
I think we add two, a post or forward option that can get up and down the floor quicker then our current two post options. May or may not start but need that option in the rotation.

Second is a veteran wing. These five freshmen are going to get the opportunity to earn minutes. We'll see growing pains next year but getting them minutes is how the program rebounds from the current setback.

Last edited:

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
First order of business is going to be hitting the transfer pool much harder than the WBB team has previously. Probably need 2-3 starters out of the pool.
This. Those freshmen will need guidance that COULD have been provided by those walking. We'll need some of that replaced from the portal.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I like to look at the minutes per position/group.

1, PG - Emily will get 36+ again. Not worried too much here with filling the other 4 minutes to get to 40 minutes in a game. However, I'm slightly worried about the decision fatigue that, in my opinion, she suffered from that led to turnovers.
Here's a fun fact - in 2021-22 Emily Ryan had no games against non-Texas teams with more than 5 turnovers. In 2022-23 she had 5 games. (3 games against Texas in 21-22 and 1 game in 22-23 where she had more than 5 TO)
We've been scouted. So much of our offense is based on Emily getting to certain spots to initiate. That gets disrupted by full-court pressure, and other teams know it. Usually Emily handles it well, but we saw some stints where she made some uncharacteristic turnovers.

2-4, Guards and Wings - Just Ny is returning here. And her 20 minutes per game last year were a big chunk playing out of position at the 5. Was expecting close to 80 of the 120 minutes filled between her, Lexi, and Denae. But instead we're at more like 10-15 out of 120 (depending on Ny's split of minutes between the 5 and wing).
Yeesh. So, we've got 90% of the minutes to replace by freshman, possible minute growth from Ny, and potential transfer(s).
I love the little bit of tape I've seen of Brown and Bristow.

5, Post - This one is also tough to project. Lots of variables. If we can get a veteran post transfer to come in and average mid-teens minutes a la Beatriz Jordao in 21-22 that would be a godsend.

I'm hopeful that Izzi can make a jump in minutes and production similar to Morgan Kane did after 2 full seasons of spot minutes. I noticed she was moving with a lot more confidence later in the year. I forget what game it was (might have been home against Texas), but there was a rebound she made when she was boxing out and actually exploded up and to the side to secure the ball. I love seeing those improvements.
We need her to get close to 20 minutes at the 5. For that to happen she really needs to improve at individual post defense. Opposing teams instantly go at her when she's in because she fouls. That's common for a backup post, but we need her to adjust.

The same fear of post defense is there for me for incoming Audi Crooks. It's simply something that she has not needed to do. The game action I've seen of her makes it obvious that she was coached to not foul and conserve energy to stay on the floor as close to 100% of the game as possible.
I'm hopeful that we get a serviceable transfer here. A minutes guess like this if that happens -
16 - Izzi
14 - Transfer
5 - Ny
5 - Audi

Otherwise we'll need Ny to commit more like 12 minutes at the 5, and a few minute bumps for each of Izzi and Audi.
Maybe Bristow could also play here too. She's very long like Diew.

I think it's going to be a fun season and am looking forward to seeing the team come together over the next 8 months.

Last edited:

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Addy Brown play a stretch 4/5 on offense and some 5 on defense as she has the skills and interest to offensively play outside the paint.

In addition to Izzy continuing to develop, I am a strong believer in Audi Crooks developing into a very impactful post player. The comparisons to Courtney Paris (Oklahoma) have been mentioned and I would suggest there is no reasons Audi couldn’t develop the skill sets of a recent All American, Macee Williams from IUPUI who is a big frame post with soft hands. Here is a video of IUPUI beating Iowa - look at 3rd and 4th quarter highlights of Macee Williams where she was very effective va Cinano:
Macee Williams Center IUPUI vs Iowa highlights

With the two key departures, expect to see Barlow getting a lot of time on the wing, with Joens getting time at the shooting guard and Jackaon backing up Ryan.

Wing players and three point shooters will be a key need to address via the transfer portal. Really missing Aubrey Joens right about now but who could have foreseen these transfers happening.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m sure the transfer portal will be hit for at least two players. I fully expect two of the freshmen (Brown and Bristow) to start at the beginning of the season. Really not that much diff from three years ago. Crooks will likely come on as the season progresses and I won’t be surprised to see Zingaro starting at the 5 early. Diew will move back out where she belongs. We become taller than in past years. Based only off of highlight film we should be quicker in our 2-4 spots than in the past. Being a young team we should actually see more depth than in the past couple of years. Portal should help there. As for our in state rivals…only team I see beating us is Iowa. The others will be wait and see. I’m excited to see the newbies and how they are unleashed. There are at least three good enough to end up being starters and Joens and Jackson being good depth players. Brown should also be able to spell Ryan which will be good.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
I’m sure the transfer portal will be hit for at least two players. I fully expect two of the freshmen (Brown and Bristow) to start at the beginning of the season. Really not that much diff from three years ago. Crooks will likely come on as the season progresses and I won’t be surprised to see Zingaro starting at the 5 early. Diew will move back out where she belongs. We become taller than in past years. Based only off of highlight film we should be quicker in our 2-4 spots than in the past. Being a young team we should actually see more depth than in the past couple of years. Portal should help there. As for our in state rivals…only team I see beating us is Iowa. The others will be wait and see. I’m excited to see the newbies and how they are unleashed. There are at least three good enough to end up being starters and Joens and Jackson being good depth players. Brown should also be able to spell Ryan which will be good.
I was with your assessment until you mentioned Brown “able to spell Ryan”…. Did you mean Jackson? At 6’3” with a strong build, Brown is not a point guard.

Acoustimac: You are a legend on this fan board and I have been reading your game summaries forever. Much appreciate your insights and dedication to the Iowa State women’s basketball team.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I was with your assessment until you mentioned Brown “able to spell Ryan”…. Did you mean Jackson? At 6’2” with a strong build, Brown is not a point guard.

Acoustimac: You are a legend on this fan board and I have been reading your game summaries forever. Much appreciate your insights and dedication to the Iowa State women’s basketball team.
It’s weird, but when I look at Brown online, i’ve seen her listed listed as a point guard, shooting guard, and forward. Surprised me as well as I thought she was "only" a forward and it’s listed that way in our recruiting. What does tell me is that she is incredibly versatile in the positions she plays. As for Jackson, I’m cautiously optimistic about her. It would sure be nice to see her step up and be the number two option at point guard.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
It’s weird, but when I look at Brown online, i’ve seen her listed listed as a point guard, shooting guard, and forward. Surprised me as well as I thought she was "only" a forward and it’s listed that way in our recruiting. What does tell me is that she is incredibly versatile in the positions she plays. As for Jackson, I’m cautiously optimistic about her. It would sure be nice to see her step up and be the number two option at point guard.
Her Gatorade POY page calls her a wing at the top, and PG in the body. She certainly wouldn’t be the first 6’2” PG in women’s NCAA.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
The 6’3” Brown will play the 4/5 on defense and 3-5 on offense….

Here is the link to her post McDonald’s game interview where se self describes her reason for choosing Iowa State and says she can play the 3,4 or 5::
““I really picked Iowa State because of their style of play,” Brown said. “They have done great things with versatile players and I feel like that’s what I am. That’s my biggest strength is just being versatile and I can play the three, the four, the five, whatever they need me to play.”
Brown Post MDonald All American Basketball Game Article

While being a talented “big” that can stretch the floor, she has not played point any more than Ashley (who often many times a game brought the ball up and initiated the offense).

She has more size than Ashley and wouldn’t be surprised if she plays some minutes at the 5 (more related to guarding the other teams bigs) as she did in the McDonald’s game.

On her Twitter - where she explains why she chose Iowa State - she refers to herself as a “forward”
Addy Brown - self described “Forward” on her Twitter explanation of why she chose Iowa State

I see what you mean by the reference in the Gatorade POY write up, but I think that is an error.
Brown Gatorade POY Write Up

Last edited:

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
Here’s my guess on position starters (*) and minutes (200 total across five positions):

Point Guard: Ryan* (35+), Jackson (5)

Wings/shooting guard (80 minutes across 2): Diew* (20), Bristow*(25), New Portal Transfers (20-30), Joens (10), Jackson (5-10)

Forward: Brown* (20+), Diew (5-10), New Portal Transfer (10-15)

__
Pretty clear a portal transfer need is the wing/shooting guard roles due to the departures of Lexi and Denae and needed depth at the Forward (4).

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Here’s my guess on position starters (*) and minutes (200 total across five positions):

Wings/shooting guard (80 minutes across 2): Diew* (20), Bristow*(25), New Portal Transfers (20-30), Joens (10), Jackson (5-10)

__
Pretty clear a portal transfer need is the wing/shooting guard roles due to the departures of Lexi and Denae and needed depth at the Forward (4).
I'm really hoping Jackson can step up to take the M&M minutes for Ryan (10 per game). I'm also hopeful about what we see from Joens. I also hope we see Brown moving in the 10 feet plus range from the basket and developing plays. I don't want to see another Christopherson where she was often misused as a post. Take advantage of her speed.

Reactions: ChiClone22

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Who was the guy on the Stansbury podcast today talking about nobody specifically has been targeted for a transfer?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

__
If those are our posts, it will most likely mean we slow down our offense. Mo would be faster than those. Maybe get a portal person for when we want to up tempo.

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022

__
Need a 5 with ability to play inside D. Agree with the rest.