MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
According to the Wikipedia this is false.

A couple of 9/10 win seasons, but multiple losing seasons, marginal .500ish seasons and looks like some wins were vacated.

Not even close to what they've done under Saban.
I don't have to look at Wikipedia, as I have been a lifelong fan and had season tickets in the Shula Era and the early Saban Era (2005-13). Alabama was definitely down by Alabama standards between the Stallings Era (ended in 1996) and the Saban Era (started in 2007), with DuBose (fired), Franchione (left for Texas A&M), Price (fired before he coached) and Shula (fired) in that 10 year period.

As down as they were by Alabama standards, they still won the SEC in 1999, won 10 games in 1999, 2002 and 2005 and played in the Orange Bowl (1999 season) and won the Cotton Bowl (2005 season). Down, down, down by Alabama standards, but they always had talent and never went more than 3 seasons without a 10 win season. They just lacked stability and kept shooting themselves in the foot with bad hires.

Saban had to deal with the attitude adjustment in 2007 with what amounts to a Basic Training. Break 'em down, build 'em up, recruit, pay attention to detail and kick ass. Losing to ULM at home was the final straw. They have played like champs ever since that game - which is the last time they lost to an unranked team and to an OOC team in the regular season.

It was a mixture of Shula recruits like John Parker Wilson, Glen Coffee, Demeco Ryans, Javier Arenas and Greg McElroy mixed with the super talent Saban recruited like Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, etc., to get things going in year 2 winning the SEC West and Year 3 going 14-0 and winning the SEC and BCS Championship. Point is that while they were down, they were not out. Did not take much to turn them into Champions again.

There are only a handful of places like that. In our conference, only Oklahoma and Texas fit that bill. They both have the talent that could win Championships with the right HC, talent infusion in 3 years. It's tougher for the rest of us like Iowa State. So, what is happening under Matt Campbell is damn impressive. I hope we can keep him and think that every year that passes and Iowa State stays competitive makes it more and more likely that he stays.

ISU is literally a missed 2 point conversion from controlling their Big Xii Championship Game fate!

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I don't have to look at Wikipedia, as I have been a lifelong fan and had season tickets in the Shula Era and the early Saban Era (2005-13). Alabama was definitely down by Alabama standards between the Stallings Era (ended in 1996) and the Saban Era (started in 2007), with DuBose (fired), Franchione (left for Texas A&M), Price (fired before he coached) and Shula (fired) in that 10 year period.

As down as they were by Alabama standards, they still won the SEC in 1999, won 10 games in 1999, 2002 and 2005 and played in the Orange Bowl (1999 season) and won the Cotton Bowl (2005 season). Down, down, down by Alabama standards, but they always had talent and never went more than 3 seasons without a 10 win season. They just lacked stability and kept shooting themselves in the foot with bad hires.

Saban had to deal with the attitude adjustment in 2007 with what amounts to a Basic Training. Break 'em down, build 'em up, recruit, pay attention to detail and kick ass. Losing to ULM at home was the final straw. They have played like champs ever since that game - which is the last time they lost to an unranked team and to an OOC team in the regular season.

It was a mixture of Shula recruits like John Parker Wilson, Glen Coffee, Demeco Ryans, Javier Arenas and Greg McElroy mixed with the super talent Saban recruited like Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, etc., to get things going in year 2 winning the SEC West and Year 3 going 14-0 and winning the SEC and BCS Championship. Point is that while they were down, they were not out. Did not take much to turn them into Champions again.

There are only a handful of places like that. In our conference, only Oklahoma and Texas fit that bill. They both have the talent that could win Championships with the right HC, talent infusion in 3 years. It's tougher for the rest of us like Iowa State. So, what is happening under Matt Campbell is damn impressive. I hope we can keep him and think that every year that passes and Iowa State stays competitive makes it more and more likely that he stays.

ISU is literally a missed 2 point conversion from controlling their Big Xii Championship Game fate!
Thank you for summarizing. I’ve been sitting on my hands to keep from making a fool of myself responding to the folks saying a Tuscaloosa wasn’t Top 10 destination before Saban. It was ALWAYS the TOP destination even with the “struggles” they were going through. Cy-Hawk is a fun little rivalry don’t get me wrong but half of my family is RTR and the other half WDE. It really does mean more there.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I've spent 9 years living 6 mo of the year in Florida.

UofF is number one
FSU is number two and more concentrated in the northern part of the state
Miami is a distant third unless you're in far SE FL
UCF is number 4 and almost equal to Miami in tee shirt/car sticker fans
USF is number 5

The rest are a blip

I live in Orlando, so locally UCF is obviously higher on the list, but I'd agree this accurate of the state in general from what I've seen.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Does not matter. IT's not like it's Minnesota on Probation. IN my opinion Alabama and Texas are the two top jobs in the Country. Maybe throw Ohio State in there. Those two even when down or on probation are still the top jobs in the country with the resources they have, the history, the exposure. It's Texas and Bama and then a minor step down to Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, and a few others.

I think one could make a legit argument that ND is the top program in the country. I know, I know, but hear me out. Top 5 in all time wins (without looking), several Heisman trophies, a slew of All Americans, national titles, etc.

And when it comes to exposure and influence, they're #1 by a landslide IMO. They get more preferential treatment than anyone else, get to remain independent yet treated the same as a big name in a major conference, and have an exclusive TV deal with a broadcast network, which has led to arguably the largest and most widespread fan base in the country.

Also, for all the reasons listed above, they are probably the most underachieving program of the last 30 years or so.

• Agree
Reactions: IsUaClone2

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Thank you for summarizing. I’ve been sitting on my hands to keep from making a fool of myself responding to the folks saying a Tuscaloosa wasn’t Top 10 destination before Saban. It was ALWAYS the TOP destination even with the “struggles” they were going through. Cy-Hawk is a fun little rivalry don’t get me wrong but half of my family is RTR and the other half WDE. It really does mean more there.
Alabama did struggle getting who they wanted during that period. They tried to give the job to Mike Riley, but he wouldn't commit. They tried to give the job to Rich Rod, and he wouldn't take it. There was lots of bad going on in T-Town during that 10 year stretch. I was just pointing out that even during the worst decade of Alabama football since the 1950s, they still had solid talent and never went three straight years with homely teams. Of the 4 failed hires, I thought Fran and Price were solid hires, but Fran bolted, and Price had his own Destiny. lol. fyi: I don't think it means more (doesn't to me), but it is a different dynamic. I have thoroughly enjoyed my first full season back @ Iowa State since 1994. It's much, much better now!

Reactions: aauummm

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
That is dumb. The Noles are a National brand. That is why people in Iowa are talking about them. You think we care if Florida Atlantic fires their coach? You think we would be worried bout Campbell going to Florida Atlantic or Central Florida? It's laughable. The Noles have several national championships and a few bad years. They have very recent success and long periods of it. Take the Hurricane glasses off for a minute man.
Didn’t you move?

I spend several months in FL and that is a false portrayal. Given the ridiculous nature of your comments, you didn’t get out much. FAU? Lol.

Florida is #1, and has an inherent advantage due to proximity, but FSU isn’t necessary little bro. Even if it is, it could still survive well enough to be a top football job. Miami is nearly an afterthought in terms of actual fans outside a Miami. It’s closer to being the Drake of Florida, than it is having equitable support. The “startups” have eroded all 3 of the P5’s T-shirt fan support somewhat, but mostly Miami’s, which used to function as “the alternative”.

The major metro areas have large transient populations that support teams from the Midwest and East, too, so it’s different than Iowa.

Holy Smokes! Knownothing and Final 4 beating the same drum.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
National brands? As they pointed out on the pregame show, since 2017 ISU has been in the CFP Playoff Rankings seven times now. Florida State and Nebraska combined? A grand total of zero.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Sportsline still has CMC at +200 and the fav for the FSU job.

That just seems out of character to me. I’m sure it’s a distinct possibility still tho. Read where they have done face to face interviews and want to have a coach in place by the end of the season.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
When a coach says they want to stick around and build a program, I probably wouldn't believe them 9 out of 10 times because history has shown that a lot of them take a better job when offered. I believe Campbell when he says he doesn't plan on leaving anytime soon. With all the sophomores and freshmen playing significant roles in the program, I would bet Campbell at the very least would want to see how the 2021 season goes with Purdy, Rose, Hall, Milton and a bunch of others being upperclassmen. Plus Kolar if he doesn't leave early. Call me crazy but I think we could be in the college football playoffs that year.

Agree that I’m more and more sold he’s sticking around. Hearing him get all choked up tonight when talking about the seniors and how they bought in to him sounded like a guy that’s committed to these players.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

TL/DR

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think one could make a legit argument that ND is the top program in the country. I know, I know, but hear me out. Top 5 in all time wins (without looking), several Heisman trophies, a slew of All Americans, national titles, etc.

And when it comes to exposure and influence, they're #1 by a landslide IMO. They get more preferential treatment than anyone else, get to remain independent yet treated the same as a big name in a major conference, and have an exclusive TV deal with a broadcast network, which has led to arguably the largest and most widespread fan base in the country.

Also, for all the reasons listed above, they are probably the most underachieving program of the last 30 years or so.

ND "used" to be the best job in the world, but no longer. For all their wealthy alumni, their TV deal with NBC, and their history, they are lacking one major component for competing for national titles today, their academic standards are too high. And the university refuses to lower them. There just are not enough elite athletes that are good students out there too return them to their glory days.

Schools like Alabama, LSU and the whole of the SEC have a huge advantage that they are in the best recruiting area in the nation for football, adding aTm has allowed the conference to move into Texas. So now they are recruiting from the Carolina's down to Florida and across to Texas. Those schools worry about winning more than academics, and they are not above paying players to attend their schools. Look at Miss. St. and Ol Miss, Combine all of it with a rabid fan base and you better win and win big or they are going to can you.

The other day on the radio they were talking about the number of 4 & 5 star recruits on each schools roster, Alabama had something like 67 of their 85 scholarship recruits as 4 or 5 level recruits, LSU was in the low 60's, Clemson was in the 40"s and Wisconsin had 8.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Just a gut check, but I’d put the order of likelihood for FSU at:
Franklin
Norvell
Kelly
Del Rio
M. Stoops
Haggins

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That just seems out of character to me. I’m sure it’s a distinct possibility still tho. Read where they have done face to face interviews and want to have a coach in place by the end of the season.

I'm not too worried about it, but wonder how someone got word that he was "intrigued" by the job. That has to come from somewhere and someone.

Also Campbell left Toledo before their bowl game when he came here. He's not above doing that.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
ND "used" to be the best job in the world, but no longer. For all their wealthy alumni, their TV deal with NBC, and their history, they are lacking one major component for competing for national titles today, their academic standards are too high. And the university refuses to lower them. There just are not enough elite athletes that are good students out there too return them to their glory days.

Schools like Alabama, LSU and the whole of the SEC have a huge advantage that they are in the best recruiting area in the nation for football, adding aTm has allowed the conference to move into Texas. So now they are recruiting from the Carolina's down to Florida and across to Texas. Those schools worry about winning more than academics, and they are not above paying players to attend their schools. Look at Miss. St. and Ol Miss, Combine all of it with a rabid fan base and you better win and win big or they are going to can you.

The other day on the radio they were talking about the number of 4 & 5 star recruits on each schools roster, Alabama had something like 67 of their 85 scholarship recruits as 4 or 5 level recruits, LSU was in the low 60's, Clemson was in the 40"s and Wisconsin had 8.

Can't disagree at all, and I wouldn't be surprised to see BK ditch the Irish in the near future for a contender where it's easier to win.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Can't disagree at all, and I wouldn't be surprised to see BK ditch the Irish in the near future for a contender where it's easier to win.

I would think the pressure of coaching at the true blood level is unbelievable, with the money these coaches are making, the school, the alumni and fan base expect championships, and getting to the playoffs. Look at Harbaugh he has been very successful record wise, 2 10 win seasons, but cannot beat OSU and no conference championship appearances and he is catching hell. Florida State has already fired their head coach after a season and a half.

Look at the school to our east, freerents can make millions, have job security for life, just by averaging 7 win seasons and finishing in the top ten 5 times, while avoiding Ohio State. Who knows maybe Campbell thinks along those same line.