Muscatine students get all expenses paid trip to China

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hadn't heard about this, but it's interesting and would be a cool opportunity.

"Students from the Iowa town Chinese President Xi Jinping visited nearly 39 years ago were invited on an all-expense paid trip to China by the communist leader himself - showing the town of Muscatine has a special place in his heart.

In 1985, Sarah Lande organized a group from China visiting Muscatine on an agricultural research tour of America, and one of the participants was Xi.

The two have kept in contact over the years and Lande decided to take Xi up on his remarks at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in San Francisco in November when he expressed a desire to host American students in his country."

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
very cool i bet they had a great time

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hadn't heard about this, but it's interesting and would be a cool opportunity.

"Students from the Iowa town Chinese President Xi Jinping visited nearly 39 years ago were invited on an all-expense paid trip to China by the communist leader himself - showing the town of Muscatine has a special place in his heart.

In 1985, Sarah Lande organized a group from China visiting Muscatine on an agricultural research tour of America, and one of the participants was Xi.

The two have kept in contact over the years and Lande decided to take Xi up on his remarks at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in San Francisco in November when he expressed a desire to host American students in his country."

Left 3 days after the invite? Basically had to take those who already had passports I’m guessing.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I didn't notice that, but that is a crazy quick turnaround. We got a passport for our son while he was in high school, but no idea how common that would be.
We all got ours last year. Our three kids were one year out of college, one in college and a HS student. So I would guess it depends on how and where the parents travel.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I didn't notice that, but that is a crazy quick turnaround. We got a passport for our son while he was in high school, but no idea how common that would be.
Just got one for my toddler and the turn around time was quick (few weeks).
(Mrs is trying to convince me to do a Disney cruise)

Good trip for these Muscatine kids. I'm sure there could be an ag-centric part to it which could be big for their future careers.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Good trip for these Muscatine kids. I'm sure there could be an ag-centric part to it which could be big for their future careers.
We just got ours renewed, and mine took about three weeks, and my wife's took about 8. Made me laugh because I'm the sketchy one lol.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Left 3 days after the invite? Basically had to take those who already had passports I’m guessing.
China also requires a visa to visit but if the president invites you I'm guessing they could make that happen in a hurry. Normally it only takes a couple weeks, at least that's how long it took to get mine the couple of times I went.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
China also requires a visa to visit but if the president invites you I'm guessing they could make that happen in a hurry. Normally it only takes a couple weeks, at least that's how long it took to get mine the couple of times I went.
Mine was roughly a month. They say 6-8 weeks but I suppose it all depends on the number of requests.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Do it. We went on our first cruise last fall and it was a Disney one. Had a good time. We are already going somewhere in a month on our next cruise (Norwegian this time).

I think it'd be a cool opportunity. Never been to any Asian countries yet, but I'd feel like that'd be a trip of special treatment by Xi.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've heard from people who visited China they loved it and recommend it....they said if you get past the political stuff going on and their people were very welcoming.
I have a friend that works for a large international company that goes to China 3-4 times a year and your sentiments are what his are.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I've heard from people who visited China they loved it and recommend it....they said if you get past the political stuff going on and their people were very welcoming.

The Chinese are very welcoming to foreigners. But, they go out of their way to show you the good side of China which doesn’t necessarily reflect the reality.

Reactions: mj4cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don’t think that’s for me. If I can go to another country, that one would be pretty far down the list. I’d rather a place like Australia and take my chances not dying.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
take my chances not dying.
I’ve been to China multiple times and never felt unsafe. Any data that backs up your claim that you are more likely to die in China than Australia or any other country for that matter?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve been to China multiple times and never felt unsafe. Any data that backs up your claim that you are more likely to die in China than Australia or any other country for that matter?
I meant Australia seems more appealing to me despite the thousands of snakes, spiders, etc that can kill you.