Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Yeah I remember that. Big divot in mid field when WV went for it and made 1st down on 1st possession of game. They sort of fixed it like a big golf divot.

Never heard any more turf issues really during game. Anybody else on that? I would have imagined it got torn up a bit?

after a scary start it was better after that opening drive. That was really the only big issue I remember.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone and t-noah

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
New grass surface is going in after the 2021 season, so I'd say at least until 2032.

I could see Campbell making the field a matter of discussion in his inevitable post-season contract renegotiation.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Remember that one time in the Big Ten Championship the “recycled tire turf” came up in chunks? I think Jack Trice can be excused for one divot following a scrum in December when it never happened again.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Turf mangement has improved greatly over the years. Take a look at the field (in New York) for the Colts v Giants NFL Campionship game!

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I'm still all in on natural grass. But our field needs to be redone.

I think JP should give Pennington a call and see if they would be willing to sponsor a high tech natural grass solution for us. Upgrades would include increased drainage, in ground geothermal heating system and grow light system to extend the growing season into December.

Pennington Turf on MidAmerican Energy Field in Jack Trice Stadium has a certain ring to it.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I'm still all in on natural grass. But our field needs to be redone.

I think JP should give Pennington a call and see if they would be willing to sponsor a high tech natural grass solution for us. Upgrades would include increased drainage, in ground geothermal heating system and grow light system to extend the growing season into December.

Pennington Turf on MidAmerican Energy Field in Jack Trice Stadium has a certain ring to it.
Maybe this post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, but I like the idea. Seems to me to be the next step in turf management, and it is the 21st century. Grass should be able to be grown at any time with the right technology at a university with "Science and Technology" in its name.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
People! The grass IS being redone! It has already been bid! Just waiting for the construction to finish so the new field is not ruined.

As far as artificial turf, I know it has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that no player has ever in the history of football ever slipped on artificial turf! End of story. (That was sarcasm)

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I was told that players prefer natural grass to turf because the grass is softer and causes fewer injuries than turf.