Neal vs. Maggitt

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not bashing on Neal, but does anyone know why he gets the starting DE end spot vacated by Parker over Roosevelt Maggitt?

It has seemed for most of this season that Maggitt has been the 2nd guy in when Parker gets a breather. And Maggitt was scout defensive player of the year last year if I remember correctly? And Maggitt is listed at 6'3" 238 lbs versus Neal at 6'0" 227 lbs.

So my question for those "in the know".... is this just a case where Neal has come on strong as of late and has outperformed Maggitt in both practice and in games lately, or is Maggitt slightly dinged up or in the coaches "doghouse".... or what?

I had pretty high hopes for Maggitt being that DE that could finally get some pressure on the QB for us this year? He seemed like a very athletic and fast guy with a good motor, kinda like a Jason Berryman in his first year. If you remember, Berryman also was undersized when he first got playing time as well, but his sheer athletic ability caused O-linemen fits.

With this being said, if Neal truly has beaten Maggitt out on the field, what is it that he brings to the table for us? Does he just play better assignment football, meaning that he doesn't cheat in and lose containment as often, or what? Can Neal bring pressure as well as Maggitt? I guess I haven't seen enough of Neal to know what he can do?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Not bashing on Neal, but does anyone know why he gets the starting DE end spot vacated by Parker over Roosevelt Maggitt?

It has seemed for most of this season that Maggitt has been the 2nd guy in when Parker gets a breather. And Maggitt was scout defensive player of the year last year if I remember correctly? And Maggitt is listed at 6'3" 238 lbs versus Neal at 6'0" 227 lbs.

So my question for those "in the know".... is this just a case where Neal has come on strong as of late and has outperformed Maggitt in both practice and in games lately, or is Maggitt slightly dinged up or in the coaches "doghouse".... or what?

I had pretty high hopes for Maggitt being that DE that could finally get some pressure on the QB for us this year? He seemed like a very athletic and fast guy with a good motor, kinda like a Jason Berryman in his first year. If you remember, Berryman also was undersized when he first got playing time as well, but his sheer athletic ability caused O-linemen fits.

With this being said, if Neal truly has beaten Maggitt out on the field, what is it that he brings to the table for us? Does he just play better assignment football, meaning that he doesn't cheat in and lose containment as often, or what? Can Neal bring pressure as well as Maggitt? I guess I haven't seen enough of Neal to know what he can do?
Am I the only one who thought Maggit did a really good job against Army? He got pressure on the QB when he needed too, and contained the option pretty well, too.

gocyco

Apr 15, 2006

I think Neal just does everything he's supposed to and gives it his all 110% of the time, you probably will see both but I like Neal and think he'll get the job done.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I think that Neal has seen just as much time as Maggitt so far, if not more. Surprising to me as I didn't think he'd ever contribute in meaningful minutes. I also think that the listed weight for Neal is a little light. He seems to stand up vs the run OK.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think Neal just does everything he's supposed to and gives it his all 110% of the time, you probably will see both but I like Neal and think he'll get the job done.
Where does he get the extra 10%? Beter not let the NCAA hear about that...

I think that Neal has seen just as much time as Maggitt so far, if not more. Surprising to me as I didn't think he'd ever contribute in meaningful minutes. I also think that the listed weight for Neal is a little light. He seems to stand up vs the run OK.

Good point, and I suspect that they prefer that Maggitt be avaiable on the weakside as a reserve as well. I suspect that the current depth chart for DE may actually be something like

1. Lyle
2. Neal
2a. Maggitt
4. Laing

...the important part being that Neal can stand up to the run a little better than Maggitt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron