New Home Construction cost

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Curious if anyone here has experience building with panel/pre-fab homes like Wausau Homes? Wife and I are not in a hurry to move/build, but we're in the early stages of thinking about our next steps. We're going to our grow our current home within next couple years and I'm starting to think through our options. The Wausau Homes style of building/customization is appealing from the standpoint of speed and cost.

Just curious if anyone has insight on this style and process compared to stick built.
We have a Wick panelized house. We had went with a modular (never manufactured IMO) the house before this. No comparison between the two. Panelized means they build the wall studs, stringers, and main support structures in a factory. They will show up with a crane and a crew will have the house shelled in 48 hours. Don’t have to worry about the elements much with them.

We were able to adjust some walls even after it was shelled. It then basically becomes a stick build. You can change or customize anything (obviously cost will change) besides the loading bearing and major structural things. We looked at stick build and it was more economical to go panelized. What sold me was the stick built guy told us we had to go into a lighting store and figure out what lights we wanted before seeing what they would look with the room they belonged. I realized that I was going to have to make 5000 decisions without seeing anything. Like size and style of mirrors.

The Wick salesman was able to take us to homes and show us several baths that they had built recently and what the area sketched out would be. I could imagine what we wanted more and use his recommendations on what would and wouldn’t work well.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I bought a few things at our small-town Lumber store the other day and the owner said his next shipment of wholesale lumber was up another 5-7% over the stuff he had in stock.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
What were studs running if you heard?

I was just buying plywood as I have a barn full of studs from dismantling a few buildings. Who knew a barn full of old lumber would be low-class version of an inflation hedge.

Menards has economy framing studs at $3.20 and premium framing studs at $6.31 on their website, FYI.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was just buying plywood as I have a barn full of studs from dismantling a few buildings. Who knew a barn full of old lumber would be low-class version of an inflation hedge.

Menards has economy framing studs at $3.20 and premium framing studs at $6.31 on their website, FYI.
Makes me wish I would have had the college kid take down a building last summer when his internship was cancelled. Roof collapsed from snow load this winter. Could have probably made decent money on that. Better than iron prices.

Help Support Us

Become a patron